Green tea vs oolong tea

ByggareBob

Reaction score
I have a question for all the board members that drinks tea.
I've read allot posts about that green tea can help against male pattern baldness and that many of you guys drink it a few times a day, but how about oolong tea, anyone drinking that? Does it have the same effect on the hair?

The reason why i ask is that i really like the cold oolong tea they sell in the vending machines in japan.

Oh and i found this on the net (if it will be to any help):
Oolong is semi-oxidized; black tea is fully oxidized; and green is un-oxidized.

TEDDYRUXPIN

Established Member
Reaction score
ByggareBob said:
I have a question for all the board members that drinks tea.
I've read allot posts about that green tea can help against male pattern baldness and that many of you guys drink it a few times a day, but how about oolong tea, anyone drinking that? Does it have the same effect on the hair?

The reason why i ask is that i really like the cold oolong tea they sell in the vending machines in japan.

Oh and i found this on the net (if it will be to any help):
Oolong is semi-oxidized; black tea is fully oxidized; and green is un-oxidized.

Green tea is mean't to prolong life but all it does is clean the lining of the stomach. Drinking this tea gives me a bad stomach pain and the squits.

Oolong tea has higher caffeine and maybe the link is through this. But my question would be - could an espresso do the same thing?

All I would say, is don't read too much into these things. Tea has been around for a long while and coffee. So why do we still have male pattern baldness?

propaganda

Reaction score
I recently discovered Pu-Erh tea. I have a lot of reading to do about it. Apparently it has a long history and aged quality pu erh can cost more than expensive wine. And usually it takes at least 2 years of fermentation before it's ready for consumption.
It gives you a "kick" for 30min or so. Suddenly you just start to feel good and very relaxed. Very distinct taste that some people instantly love and some hate it. They say that active microbes live in the tea and that this tea is very healthy. Don't know if that's true. I liked the taste and a kick that this tea gave me. Specially the kick. Read about this tea. Cool stuff.

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
They are from the same plant, its just a matter of processing. Actually all tea is from the same plant Camellia sinensis. Anything else called tea, like peppermint tea, isnt actually a tea but an herbal infusion, unless it does have Camellia sinensis. Black, green,white, and oolong are all from camellia sinensis plant, its just a matter of when the leaf is picked and how it is processed after that.

In terms of overall antioxidant content: White tea> green tea> oolong tea>black tea. Caffiene content is highest in black tea and lowest in white tea.

However, even black tea has significant antioxidant content. But the types of anitixoidant ratios differ due to the age of the leaf and the processing method (oxidation). There are many subtypes of antioxidants.

The more oxidized tea (black) will have greater theaflavin content, which are antioxidants and good for you, while the less oxidized teas will have greater catechin content another anitoxidant that is good for you. Oolong tea falls somewhere in the middle of green and black tea.

In terms of male pattern baldness, the antioxidant that is suppose to help slow male pattern baldness is ECEG. This antioxidant is classified as a catechin, and will be in greater concentration in white and green tea. However, oolong and black tea will also have them, with oolong having a content somewhere in between green and black tea.

Keep drinking it. It is good for you, well, as long as the vendor isn't adding high fructose corn syrup or something, I would keep drinking it. And if you want significant ECEG, you should be taking green tea extracts anyway.

marklee

Reaction score
There probably isn't a major difference. That, and tea's won't make you lose a lot of weight. They help a little, but people drink them for their antioxidant properties. :)

Dion

Reaction score
Hi ByggareBob,
Never tried oolong tea but regular user of green tea. I drink green tea twice as it has many healthy benefits.
It helps us in losing weight,
It reduces the risk of cancer,
It reduces cholesterol level,
It protects us from cardiovascular disease,
It improves our immune system,
It reduces tooth decay,
It is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
It Prevents aging,
it promotes beautiful skin, hair, nails,
It strengthens blood vessels,
It lowers blood sugar,
It prevents influenza.