Green Tea Extract

lordhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Old Baldy

I'm going to make small batches of cream and store it in the fridge

JWM

Reaction score
What about Dermovan? Couldnt we just add some green tea extract to a scoop or two of Dermovan?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
JWM said:
What about Dermovan? Couldnt we just add some green tea extract to a scoop or two of Dermovan?

I don't want to keep answering for Bryan but I think mixing GTE in Dermovan would be good IMHO.

Bryan should be answering these concoction questions though. I don't have a good handle on the solubility and preservative requirements. I'll do some searches.

CCS

Reaction score
cream sounds great for people with real bald spots. People who have a lot of hair are stuck with liquids that don't evaporate fast, and have penetration enhancers.

I'm thinking about dissolving 1-2% spironolactone in my mixture and then adding in the extracts. Or maybe it would go better in the boswellia solution.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
How does this sound...

3 oz of water and 1 oz of alcohol and 3gr of GTE? all that in a sprayer..

CCS

Reaction score
sounds alright, but i think the sprayer will get it on your hair, not your scalp.

once you get all that will dissolve to dissolve, you should move the liquid to another bottle and discard or re-use the solids on the bottom, so they don't clog your sprayer.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
sounds alright, but i think the sprayer will get it on your hair, not your scalp.

once you get all that will dissolve to dissolve, you should move the liquid to another bottle and discard or re-use the solids on the bottom, so they don't clog your sprayer.

I think while the hair is still wet after shower, its more likely to get to the scalp since its not so thick...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JWM said:

I personally haven't tried mixing green tea extract into Dermovan, but my friend Dave (Dave001) has, and he said it made quite a mess. He didn't elaborate, but evidently it's not very cosmetically acceptable for some reason or other.

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
JWM said:

I personally haven't tried mixing green tea extract into Dermovan, but my friend Dave (Dave001) has, and he said it made quite a mess. He didn't elaborate, but evidently it's not very cosmetically acceptable for some reason or other.

Bryan

I think he need to get the right amount of moisture into the GTE before mixing it, or after, so he keeps it a cream and not a paste.
Experiment away. It is like making pancake batter without directions. A little back and forth until you get the right consistency.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys I bought some green tea extract...

Ill just list the ingridients tell me if its ok....

It says on the bottle:

High Potency EGCg
Green Tea Extract
400 mg Standardized Extract
200 mg EGCg
80% Catechnis
98% Polyphenois

any clue if thats ok ?

EDIT:
I added 3mg of GTE to 4oz mineral water...but as you said CCS it clogged my spray...I used a dropper instead much better.

but I feel some tingling sensation at the spots I applied too...

did anyone here tried it for a fair amount of time and had any results with GTE yet?

zossima

Reaction score
Hi there, nice thread with good posts.

I'm thinking of starting to take green tea, pharmanex produces capsules with 97% catachins.
it has been used in some studies i read about turning skin more flexible, the results where good. they even made blood tests to see if the green tea was absorved by the bloodstreem , and it was :)

ever heard of this brand?

i keep seeing people intereseted in topical green tea solutions, what about taking green tea oraly in pill form??

Witch is better to inhibit 5 alpha reductase activity and DHT formation: Oral gree tea or Topical green tea solution??

would really apreciate your opinion, tanks for reading this.

PS: sorry for the culmsy english.

CCS

Reaction score
EGCG may be a very good androgen receptor blocker, topically.

Jacob

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned..but Liipoxidil carries a gte in liposomes topical. GTE is also in Equisomin(and maybe others) by Elsom Research..and can be added to a custom topical via their Formulator.

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
someone posted earlier in this thread that Grape Seed Extract was not water soluble, I think. I didn't spot a correction to that so I just wanted to set the record on that one: it's HIGHLY water soluble and insoluble in oil (good old WikiP has more one that). Green Tea Extract polyphenols should be very water soluble too. So either of those could use a simple water base (I'm using an aloe base with GSE and plan to add GTE as soon as I get it) and makes my hair very "healthy feeling" (I know that's very subjective), I don't know if it has had an impact on growth yet (using it once per day for several months, I need to update my profile I think). Admittedly, I'm not very calculating in the % mixture though. Does anyone know what percentage range we should be using for (almost) pure actives like GSE and GTE in a liquid base?

CCS

Reaction score
Most drugs are best between 1 and 5%, unless they are irritating, like retinol. If GSE is water soluble, I will increase the water content of my topicals, and use less alcohol.

1mL of water is 1g. 1g in 100mL is 1%. Powders are typically denser than water, though GTE and apple poly are very light and flufted with air.