green tea bag or capsule ?

young

Reaction score
Does anyone know approximately how many green tea bags it takes to equal a green tea capsule in terms of antioxidant effect ?

bombscience

Reaction score
one million two hundred sixty six thousand four hundred and seventy two.

seriously i dont know you can't get an accurate concentration of tea in the water. how much water are you using? ah well f*** it... i drink 2-3 cups of green tea a day and take a 180 mg capsule.

CurlyFries

Reaction score
One thing is for sure - this group of guys and gals will be the healthiest bald people in our country's nursing homes in about 50 years!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Generic tea bags suck....Buy fresh loose tea from an online store much tastier. IM me if you'd like a link

maintainence1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been drinking green tea for like a year now. I only have an opportunity to have it once a day though and sometimes not at all. That's why I just went to Puritan's Pride and got some green tea capsules, which are supposed to be pretty powerful. Getting the real stuff from tea farmers would be good, but I find the capsules the easiest.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
It's probably sacriligious - but I just bought a box of Lipton's Green tea bags (100% Natural -Green Tea, 190mg of antioxidants per serving).

(Hey, I use it at work and can't be playing w/ the loose stuff :)

I haven't checked it out yet - but I just noticed the box says: "To learn more about tea's role in a healthy lifestyle . .. . visit http://www.lipton.com"

Split

Reaction score
What is the best green tea capsule brand? there are so many and so different I'm confused :cry: I drink green tea everyday just out of custom but now I want to buy some pills what are the best brands for Pureity, Effectiveness, Quantity and price.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Split said:
What is the best green tea capsule brand? there are so many and so different I'm confused :cry: I drink green tea everyday just out of custom but now I want to buy some pills what are the best brands for Pureity, Effectiveness, Quantity and price.

I don't know from brands - but I get most of my supplements from vitacost online due to pretty decent pricing. They have 2 brands available now, http://www.vitacost.com/store/products/ ... 1&x=11&y=8

and here's what they have to say about the lesser expensive brand:

Description
Natural source of antioxidants. Proven aid for weight reduction.

Green tea is a natural source of antioxidants, which neutralize harmful molecules in the body known as free radicals. Researchers have found that epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant-like compound found in green tea, is over 200 times more powerful than vitamin E in neutralizing pro-oxidants and free radicals.

Studies have already shown that green tea may lead to a lower risk of skin, lung and prostate cancer, but now, it appears that the nutrient’s EGCG may be effective at lowering the risk of esophageal cancer. Researchers at Harvard Medical School and VA Boston Healthcare System found that EGCG effectively inhibited the growth and reproduction of esophageal cancer cells. It was found that EGCG induced “cell suicide,â€￾ preventing the cancerous cells from replicating. In addition, increased EGCG concentration led to a higher rate of cell suicide, with no harm to healthy cells.

In recent studies, green tea extract (standardized to 90 mg of EGCG) increased the 24-hour energy expenditure in human subjects, thus aiding in weight reduction. Plus, the antioxidants of green tea are also beneficial for the heart, as they help decrease levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol. In addition, green tea contains a small amount of caffeine (1% or 5 mg), so it serves as a mild appetite suppressant.

NSI Green Tea Extract is a formula containing 250 mg of this ingredient, standardized to 45% of EGCG.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings per container: 100

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Green Tea Extract (standardized to 98% polyphenols, 80% catechins, 45% EGCG)(leaves) 250 mg *

*Daily value not established.

Other ingredients: Kosher gelatin (capsule), cellulose and magnesium stearate.

Free Of
Gluten, corn, soy, yeast, wheat, lactose, fish, eggs, colorings, or preservatives.

Directions
As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule daily with a meal or as directed by a physician.

Warnings
Pregnant or lactating women, diabetics, hypoglycemics, and people with known medical conditions and/or taking drugs should consult with a licensed physician and/or pharmacist prior to taking dietary supplements.

Disclaimer
Statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat and cure or prevent disease. Always consult with your professional health care provider before changing any medication.