Green tea bad for hair

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Links?

AFAIK Green Tea benefits hair growth because of its caffeine content.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt that it's the caffeine in green tea that helps hair loss. If anything it would be the antioxidants and the ECCG or whatever that is in it...

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
ok ... so CAN it cause hair loss then helping with hair loss ?

That just made my head spin.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
irishpride86, I don't think you have read any studies and if you did it you haven't got the intelligence to understand them, and stop saturating the forum with your bullshit questions.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
Regardless of its affects on hormones numerous studies have shown that it improves hair growth. There is no reason to worry, even if it is increasing androgens it seems to be doing something else that is powerful enough to overcome the hair retarding power of the androgens and help hair growth. Its kind of like a one step backwards, two step forwards kind of thing.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
in order to combat shedding I took green tea and saw palmetto supplements together for about 2 months. The supplements did not stop the shedding (every time I'd run my fingers through my hair 5-10 hairs would come out...)..this shed is what made me get on min.

shortly before getting on min I stopped taking the green tea extract and the shedding stopped.

I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about 6 months now and rogaine for 3 months...I think I'm losing less than 20 hairs a day these days.

the shed might have been induced by the saw palmetto or maybe stopped by min...either way, green tea extract didn't help me in any way.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the rule should be as always, all things in moderation, drink one or two cups of green tea a day, it's good for you, drink 10 cups a day or down a load of concentrated pills and you're surly get some kind of adverse effects.

I thought the thing with green tea was it increases SHBG so that it renders circulating T levels useless... so even if they record higher levels in your blood it's essentially useless right? I'm no expert... :innocent:

I also would've thought if you're taking it and you're using finasteride (or similar) then even an increase in T levels won't be converted to DHT as you're using an inhibitor.

Anyway, my first point, drink a little and my opinion is you'll get benefits long term. It's good for hormonal balance =]

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
um ... I wish more people would explain the pros and cons

in all honesty I highly doubt it'll help you keep any of your hair. Don't throw away your money

the only thing that seems to work is the big3

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
SuperMeh said:
I think the rule should be as always, all things in moderation, drink one or two cups of green tea a day, it's good for you, drink 10 cups a day or down a load of concentrated pills and you're surly get some kind of adverse effects.

Not so sure about that :)

Drinking 10 Cups of Green Tea Daily and Not Smoking Could Add 12 Years to Your Life

The authors found that onset of cancer and death from cancer were significantly delayed in those who drank the most green tea. That is, they developed cancer later and died from cancer later than those who drank less tea. Compared to people who drank three cups or less per day, those who consumed at least 10 cups had a 41% less chance of getting cancer.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
JLL, my point was that there are varying reports on if green tea is good or bad for you, I'm quite sure it is good for you, but if you drink it in moderation it's not going to have any drastic effect on your body either way. Not only is it safe for anyone with some doubts it's also just sensible as a general rule, all things in moderation.

I could grab a load of links about supposedly how damaging green tea is.. who do we believe? That link is meaningless to me.

If you're not megadosing on it then it is less of an issue, I think the best way to reap the benefits (not just hair wise) would be a smaller amount for a longer time period, the most I've drunk is 3 cups a day and I think thats plenty enough tea for anyone in one day.

Not in reference to your link but I remember reading studies that were done on mice where the amounts of active constituents used were almost impossible for a human to be consuming as part of their diet.. maybe we weren't meant to :whistle: hehe :)

Edit: I've just read the link, the only source being http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12437992

Lifestyle-related diseases, including cancer and cardiovascular disease, are also characterized as aging-related diseases, where aging may be the most potent causal factor. In light of this, prevention of lifestyle-related diseases will depend on slowing the aging process and avoiding the clinical appearance of the diseases. Green tea is now accepted as a cancer preventive on the basis of numerous in vitro, in vivo and epidemiological studies. In addition, green tea has also been reported to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. We found an apparent delay of cancer onset/death and all cause deaths associated with increased consumption of green tea, specifically in ages before 79 in a prospective cohort study of a Japanese population with 13-year follow-up data. This is consistent with analyses of age-specific cancer death rate and cumulative survival, indicating a significant slowing of the increase in cancer death and all cause death with aging. These results indicate that daily consumption of green tea in sufficient amounts will help to prolong life by avoiding pre-mature death, particularly death caused by cancer.

No scientific data in the slightest.. or am I missing out somewhere? Sorry, it's irrelevant to my point anyway. Interesting site though :bravo:

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I knew there was a reason why I drink soymilk every day.

Green Tea = good for health
Green Tea + Soy Isoflavones = good for hair + health

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it affects everyone differently and there's also the question of, how is everyone drinking their tea. There's many store bought brands with junk added that isn't good, and then there good ol' home brewed stuff. Lot of variables here when considering all these individual results.

Don't get me started on soy and how bad it is for you.

litcII

Reaction score
mykal_P said:
I'm sure it affects everyone differently and there's also the question of, how is everyone drinking their tea. There's many store bought brands with junk added that isn't good, and then there good ol' home brewed stuff. Lot of variables here when considering all these individual results.

Don't get me started on soy and how bad it is for you.

Sorry dude, but I am gonna have to get you started on soy.... exactly why is it bad for you?

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
It depends on the source of soy. Most of the soy that is sold is just a waste product and doesnt have the benfits that a full source would have, this if from what Ive read.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
SuperMeh said:
I could grab a load of links about supposedly how damaging green tea is.. who do we believe? That link is meaningless to me.

Show me the money.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive done the green tea thing, and the Ecgc(?) caps and for me it hasnt dont a lick for my hair. All internal though.