grapefruit juice

nawlins99

Reaction score
2 questions...ones easy i just have really never heard the answer though. the follicle can have several hairs in a lifetime? in other words we lose hair but regrow it unitl we begin balding? true?normally, how many hairs does a guy /kid with normal hair and not balding lose in a day as opposed to a person beginning to go bald

next question: w/ all the talk of grapefruit jice being BAD when taking with pills...is it good or bad to take w/ proscar/finast? ive heard both yes and nos

thanks

hopewas

Reaction score
grapefruit fives finasteride 3 x the potence from what i read.. i've been taking proscar with it very day for a year and i managed to maintain my hair ..i read it on a page that cassin sent to me..try asking him

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
keep in mind that even 1 kg of finasteride per day can inhibit only 70% dht.
if finasteride by itself is properly absorbed, there is no need for grape fruit juice.

if you are taking finasteride, as Bryan recommends, chew it and swallow after few minutes with water instead of swallowing the pill directly.

nawlins99

Reaction score
so it wont hurt? i just drink grapefruit cause i like it!...any comments on the hair follicle portion?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
nawlins99 said:
2 questions...ones easy i just have really never heard the answer though. the follicle can have several hairs in a lifetime? in other words we lose hair but regrow it unitl we begin balding? true?normally, how many hairs does a guy /kid with normal hair and not balding lose in a day as opposed to a person beginning to go bald

The general rule of thumb, according to Dr. Proctor, is that everybody (balding or not) loses roughly 50 to 100 hairs a day.

Balding isn't caused by an excessive daily loss, it's caused by a slower average GROWTH of hair. In other words, that average daily loss gets replaced in a balding person more and more slowly as time goes by.

nawlins99 said:
next question: w/ all the talk of grapefruit jice being BAD when taking with pills...is it good or bad to take w/ proscar/finast? ive heard both yes and nos

Grapefruit juice interferes with certain natural enzymes that we all have in our bodies. Those natural enzymes help break down and metabolize certain drugs that we take, including finasteride. So the net effect of drinking grapefruit juice just prior to taking a Propecia or Proscar tablet is that it reduces the degradation of the finasteride, increasing its effect similar to what you'd get if you simply took a larger dose of the drug. So whether it's "good" or "bad" depends on whether or not you WANT a larger dose! :wink:

When you're taking a very expensive drug which is affected by that same metabolic pathway, it might make sense to take it along with grapefruit juice, because the juice has that sparing effect on the drug. But one possibly important issue is that it's difficult to predict with any degree of accuracy exactly HOW MUCH the juice will increase the effective dose of the drug. With a drug as relatively innocuous as finasteride, it wouldn't make much difference. But with other more dangerous drugs, it would be wise to use grapefruit juice with great caution.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
techprof said:
keep in mind that even 1 kg of finasteride per day can inhibit only 70% dht.

The Gisleskog et al studies on finasteride and dutasteride found that the type 2 enzyme is responsible for about 82% of DHT production. Therefore, increasing doses of finasteride should inhibit more and more DHT production, up to approximately that limit. Maybe even a bit MORE, actually, since finasteride does have some slight activity against the type 1 enzyme.

techprof said:
if you are taking finasteride, as Bryan recommends, chew it and swallow after few minutes with water instead of swallowing the pill directly.

Indeed! Why take chances with pills passing through you unabsorbed?

Bryan

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you guys serious? You think there is a chance the pill can pass through unabsorbed by swallowing it whole? I'm not sure thats even possible .

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm serious as a heart attack, and yes I do think it's possible for a pill to pass all the way through unabsorbed. I've already related the story at least a couple of times of how my mother was taking prescription blood-pressure pills, and one of them DID IN FACT pass all the way through her intact. The pharmacist was shocked when she told him about it later.

Furthermore, there was a study by a California doctor many years ago in which he tested a variety of nutritional supplements in tablet and capsule form. He found that a higher percentage of the supplements was absorbed when the subjects chewed them up, instead of swallowing whole.

The bottom-line is don't take a chance whenever you take a drug or nutritional supplement in tablet or capsule form. Unless it's specifically designed to be time-release (check the instructions carefully), CHEW THEM UP FIRST, then swallow.

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
i reckon those of you who are cutting proscar up probably dont need to worry about absorption as its pretty much chewed already. but whole propecia takers might want to think about busting it up a bit. don't need to chew as such, maybe crush it into a glass of water. as to avodart, i don't know nor want to know what that stuff would taste like if you chomped down on one of those gel caps.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
PowerSam said:
i reckon those of you who are cutting proscar up probably dont need to worry about absorption as its pretty much chewed already. but whole propecia takers might want to think about busting it up a bit. don't need to chew as such, maybe crush it into a glass of water. as to avodart, i don't know nor want to know what that stuff would taste like if you chomped down on one of those gel caps.

lol... don't chew the Avodart capsule... It's very unpleasant.