grafts per minute

nafsurf

Reaction score
One thing about the number of grafts clinics claim to make worries me, maybe someone can explain.

A clinic doing 1500 grafts in 6 hours would mean doing 4 grafts a minute, 1 graft every 15 seconds, it doesn't sound possible for 1 person to do this (or do they have more than 1 person doing this). This includes making the incisions, finding the matching grafts, placing the grafts. Also this doesn't allow for the cutting of the donor strip (how long does that take them to do?).

I would have thought that even doing 1 graft a minute non-stop for 6 hours would be pushing it a bit or is it easier to do than I thought.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

The donor scar takes about 30 mins, including local anesthetic which stings like sh!t, then they have a team of assistants to get the gratfs ready, 2-6 people depending on where you go. Placing them is quite quick once the grafts are ready.

nafsurf

Reaction score
cd,

I don't see a problem with getting more people to chop up the donor strip (they can have as many people as they want - but just have to pay more for technical staff), but the real limit comes in putting the grafts into the head quickly enough, I think only one person does this, was this the case for you?

crazydiamond

Reaction score
nafsurf

All the pics are in the photo gallery now. It varied between 1 and 2 people, and that seems to take a bit of time. Also many places get technicians to do the planting, but that doesnt mean to say they are not skilled in doing this.

Walt White

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing about the number of grafts clinics claim to make worries me, maybe someone can explain.

A clinic doing 1500 grafts in 6 hours would mean doing 4 grafts a minute, 1 graft every 15 seconds, it doesn't sound possible for 1 person to do this (or do they have more than 1 person doing this). This includes making the incisions, finding the matching grafts, placing the grafts. Also this doesn't allow for the cutting of the donor strip (how long does that take them to do?).

I would have thought that even doing 1 graft a minute non-stop for 6 hours would be pushing it a bit or is it easier to do than I thought.

Wow. Didn't realize this forum was so old. OP, have you had any success with your transplant?