Gradually stopped Propecia. Hair still here.

hare

Reaction score
I started taking Propecia at age 26 a few months after my scalp very suddenly started itching like crazy and my hair was falling out fast. Also took Alpecin Caffeine shampoo for a little while but I don't think that did anything. I was borderline NW2 when I started, quite noticeable at the vertex, as well as frontal when hair was lifted. A few months after starting the drug my hair was back but my nipples started tingling. Lumps formed not too many months later. Gyno.

After going to a few gyno surgery consultations, with most surgeons recommending stopping the drug for good to ensure gyno didn't return, I decided to try lowering the dosage of Propecia as I heard that occasionally people maintained their hair after stopping. I starting taking a pill every other day for several weeks, then once every three days, soon once every week or few weeks, etc, until it was once a month. My last day was 31 May 2016. Now heading toward 29 years, and my hair is about the same as it was with the peak results of Propecia. Have had occasional slight itchiness and higher-than-usual hair loss but only for very brief periods, usually with substantial time in between.

I still have yet to see what happens when I haven't taken one pill for a few months. Of course, I still have backup Propecia in case it starts up again, but I am happy for now. Unfortunately the gyno is still there. I've started going on a low-calorie diet recently to see if that helps. Want to try everything feasible first before I strongly consider surgery due to the risk and money involved.

A few other things I noticed since I started Propecia - my libido is actually higher. For the last few months I have tended to orgasm daily, sometimes 2-3 times a day. Another thing - and just a caveat: I don't know if this has anything to do with Propecia - I think my sexuality has changed slightly. I'm still predominantly heterosexual but I might be ever so slightly further up the Kinsey scale than before. Possibly just coincidence.

I will probably pop back in in a few months' time to update on how my hair is months after completely stopping the drug. Bye for now!

hare

Reaction score
smh did you seriously just try to say propecia turned you gay... wtf man

I didn't say I turned gay and didn't say Propecia had anything to do with it.

The other day I orgasmed to gay p**rn but it only worked on one video and it wasn't easy. I, like a lot of heterosexual people I suspect, do occasionally now and then have a bisexual thought. I mean like weeks, even months in between. That doesn't mean they're gay or even bisexual. If anything I wish I was fully bisexual, as based on my tests, I would have way more sexual opportunities. But I never had the desire to have sex with any man in my life except for my brother.

FWIW, there have been other claims of people's sexuality changing after starting Propecia. Based on a quick Google search: http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552

Again, possibly just coincidence. The time when a lot of men go bald - 20s - is also the time when they discover more about and experiment with their sexuality. That being said, I have wondered whether the chemical imbalances caused by the drug that result in gyno can also manipulate sexuality. But there's nowhere near enough proof, so for those who don't want to be gay to any degree, don't worry just yet. ;)

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
smh did you seriously just try to say propecia turned you gay... wtf man

154.gif

But I never had the desire to have sex with any man in my life except for my brother.

What.

g.i joey

Reaction score
If anything I wish I was fully bisexual, as based on my tests, I would have way more sexual opportunities. But I never had the desire to have sex with any man in my life except for my brother.

new side effect? propecia promotes homosexual incest?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

hare

Reaction score
5 months down the road after stopping finasteride. No hair loss noticed. No longer notice that classic male pattern baldness itchiness either. A blood test taken 2 months after stopping showed everything was again in normal range.

Test 1 (shortly before starting Propecia)
testosterone: 12.3 nmol/L
oestradiol: untested

Test 2 (a few months after starting Propecia)
testosterone: 20.8 nmol/L
oestradiol: 118 pmol/L

Test 3 (a few months after quitting Propecia)
testosterone: 16.7 nmol/L
oestradiol: 132 pmol/L

My testosterone has always been in the reference range (8.4-28.7 nmol/L) but was flagged as 'borderline' low before starting Propecia, and rose later (quite a boost a few months after starting). Interestingly my oestradiol (related to estrogen) levels have always been on the higher end of the reference range (0-146 pmol/L); not sure if this might indicate propensity to developing gyno. I don't think I notice my gyno as much as I did before; not sure if it's receding a little but based on the notion that gyno is permanent after the lumps harden then maybe it's just because I'm getting used to it.

They also tested a bunch of other things but don't think they're as related; let me know though if you want to know if something specific was tested that might be related.

Would still rather have hair with mild gyno than be bald. I may provide another update at the 1-year mark.

Reactions: Alk

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another thing - and just a caveat: I don't know if this has anything to do with Propecia - I think my sexuality has changed slightly. I'm still predominantly heterosexual but I might be ever so slightly further up the Kinsey scale than before. Possibly just coincidence.

Kinsey scale ? Are you serious ? Thanks for making me look it up. If you have to use kinsey scale in a sentence to describe yourself, then my guess is you're in the closet waiting to come out. It's all good though, just be true to yourself.

But I never had the desire to have sex with any man in my life except for my brother.
9409043.jpg

hare

Reaction score
Since most posters here seem more interested in the sexuality/incest comment instead of hair, I will note that I have watched a few more gay p**rn videos, but again haven't had the urge to have sex with any man in real life (the brother phase seems to have passed). However, these occurrences only come in sparse bursts (usually weeks in between, occasionally days), and the vast majority of the time I am heterosexual. I really doubt it has anything to do with Propecia though besides the coincidental timing.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
Umm... I feel like I am being worked here. GG OP, this was one of the best threads I have read on a forum. hahaha

hare

Reaction score
On closer inspection the skin on my vertex may or may not be a little more noticeable than before. Would have to review photos to be sure. If it is it was gradual; I certainly didn't experience the rapid shedding most claim. I'll keep an eye on it. Glad I have more than enough backup Propecia just in case.