Got my first hair piece Yesterday ! Help required by experts

saltnpepper

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am from Sydney. As you can see on the subject i got a hair system yesterday and the cut it and the works.
I have the usual thing to say as all first time hair piece wearers say - it's great, i love it etc ect ect

But i am thinking a bit further here, all you have spoken about one thing when it comes to hair pieces. MAINTAINANCE.
As this is my first day I know it will look good, but how to i maintain it from time to time.
Please your valuable tips are like blood diamonds to me.
Also i will attach some pics tommorow of my before and after.
please help me friends !!

Boondock

Reaction score
Would be great to see some pics. Best places for advice are not on this forum, though.

saltnpepper

Reaction score
why would you say that ?? i have seen heaps of guys with great experience commenting on various topics ? what other forum would you recommend ?
IMO there no better place than HairLossTalk.com

Boondock

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com will be the best place to evaluate how your piece looks.

However, it is not a good place for hair system discussion in general. The traffic in this subforum is pretty low. You will get a better response on Toplace or Ba Hair Apparent.

saltnpepper

Reaction score
ohh ok.. thanks for that buddy
I've just kindda walked into work and no one really notcied any change as i used to wear concelers but i know from my experience of reading other people talk that the hair piece can look very ordinary if not looked after
so i thought i might ask around ....
I am loving the new head of hair, just a bit freaked out to be caught out !! you know what i mean..

Boondock

Reaction score
People generally don't notice these things. There have been scientific papers on people's perceptions, and in general they don't 'see' you in your entirety as we often assume. They just take in a general picture and that's it.

That said, obviously it's vital to have a solid switchover (as you did with concealers to wig), and it's vital to keep it in good condition. A lot of effort, but probably not that much more than concealers (some folks spend an hour or more a day doing concealers, believe me).

saltnpepper

Reaction score
Mate, i was using concelers like you wouldnt believe,
I would slap in on when i left for work and then slap some more on when i was going to the gym
Oh and ya , what they dont tell you about concelers is that you cant go in the sunlight much or you will surely be busted.
I am in Australia, this is the Land of beaches, how can a guy not go to the beach on a sunny afternoon .
And everytime i want to the gym , i couldnt do bench presses or any excercised that made my head touch the equipment. ( or else the conceler might pour out a bit on the bench)
so the bottom line was that ( i didnt enjoy the concelers and it kept my hair loss a secret) but i needed to get a switch as soon as possible.
Wasnt much left up there to concele haha..
I am at work but i will make it a point to show you my before and after,
following your advice i went to toplace....people out there are making it out to be the BEST IN THE WORLD ??
you recon ?

Boondock

Reaction score
Toplace are pretty established, although they had a bust up with their main man, who went on to start BA Hair Apparent (I believe).

With all these companies it's hit and miss. People will almost always get a duff piece now and then.

You just have to over order, have 2 or 3 pieces in reserve, and shop around when you need to. This is the big downside of the piece, IMO, it takes a lot of effort at every stage when you're first doing it (but if done well isn't too pricy and is undetectable).

saltnpepper

Reaction score
ya toplace does look alright for now.
i was under the impression that hair pieces last for almost 3 to 5 years.
But seems like guys on the toplace forum are talking about getting a new one every 3 to 4 months ?
mate, how long do u think a hair piece will last if i have one for : -

Sports (only onse a week - cricket on saturdays lol )
Going out
Normal everyday wear.

and should i order from the same company, i have read on HairLossTalk.com before that people order from 3 places ( one piece each) and then go from there,,,

do u think this is something i should so as well ?

Boondock

Reaction score
lostinsydney said:
ya toplace does look alright for now.
i was under the impression that hair pieces last for almost 3 to 5 years.
But seems like guys on the toplace forum are talking about getting a new one every 3 to 4 months ?
mate, how long do u think a hair piece will last if i have one for : -

Sports (only onse a week - cricket on saturdays lol )
Going out
Normal everyday wear.

and should i order from the same company, i have read on HairLossTalk.com before that people order from 3 places ( one piece each) and then go from there,,,

do u think this is something i should so as well ?

If I was doing it I'd not use one longer than 3 or 4 months. They might physically last longer, but they'll start to look worse for wear (and, hence, obvious).

I would also vary companies, just to minimize my risk. I wouldn't do it randomly, however; I may find one I particularly like, and one that's pretty good, and use those two primarily.

saltnpepper

Reaction score
daimm... ouch .. that reply hurts.... i got mine ( which i know you will call me an idiot for ) from Farrell
After registering into him i found this website ...
anyways the harm is done. the piece looks great but he recons the system will last for 3 to 5 years ??
am i done for ??
so your saying i should order as soon as right now to do damage control ?

Boondock

Reaction score
As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with Farrell's pieces, he just charges way too much for them. Perhaps his can last 3-5 years in good condition, but I doubt it.

I would order another piece or two from one of the online suppliers, if only for insurance. They're pretty cheap compared to Farrell.

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
Farrells wigs,sorry systems :whistle: won't last for that length of time,well not in top notch condition anyway as all wigs will shed.
Secondly he is far too expensive :shakehead: for what you get which is basically a piece of material with hair added,nothing more nothing less!so don't let them fol you into anything else! :shakehead:
Anyway TopLace is a good company to deal with but for my money BA hair Appaent is where it is at.
The new wigs they have on there from Korea are probably the best you will find anywhere,and that includes Farrell! You have to check them out yourself to appreciate the quality of ventilation :woot:
More importantly the prices are great and to replace every 2-3 months is not a major issue because of that.
Out of all the forums BAs place is top notch for advice and info and if you prefer no holds barred, sensible and honest opinions and advice then that is where it is at!
I will look forward to seeing your pics!

Sorry i forgot to add that BA has a place in Australia also ask him for details!

saltnpepper

Reaction score
this is my pic..

Attachments

• pick1.jpg
    pick1.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 480

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it looks good...but maybe you need temple flaps...as your sides are starting to thin too...overall it seems like your doing a good job...where is your hairpiece ordered from?

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all thanks for posting the pic :bravo:
From what i can see it does look a good modern style and cut-in but a close up would be better to help you with advice.
Farrel,although pricey,well far too pricey!!,are a good company and have decent systems but believe me there are equally if not better out there for a fraction of the cost,but i am sure you will know that already.
Have you checked out BA apparent,Hair Direct or Toplace and what they are offering?

saltnpepper

Reaction score
ya i did order a piece from BA just yesterday. Toplace, i still have to try , but theres been a bit "talk about" the new Korean pieces that BA has so i ordererd one yesterday just to give it a try ....
if i am happy with BA i might not even try toplace... but then again.. if i am wrong please correct me guys...
ok cool i will post a very closeup pic soon...
i have 2 pieces from farrell and now in 4 weeks i ll have one more from BA.... looks like i might have some times on my hand before i shop around and buy another one ...but i will also post pics on the hairpiece from BA...
ya mate... Farrell are pricey...but i knew i was going to take a hit and i just was looking for getting INTO the game the first time around... so i guess now i dont have to go back to him...i ll just try Ba and Toplace...hopeful they are as good as the ones from Farrell...

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the difference between the Farrell wig and the BA korean one.
You are right there is a lot of excitement surrounding the new Korean wigs that BA is offering and for me,from what i have seen so far,is that the ventilation of those Korean wigs look awesome!! :punk:
Still keep us all posted with what you honestly think and how they compare and also don't discount Toplace or HD.
In this game it really is a case of trying different places and tweaking your specs till you find that winning formula for yourself.