Got my Finpecia Today..(6 month Update) Oct 06 - May 06

Energie_man

Reaction score
Dropped of by the Postman today was my 3 months supply of Cipla Finpecia,and my Nizarol Shampoo.

Couple of questions before i start on them!

When i start on finasteride,i shall start with 1mg per day,if i was to start getting side effects,should i continue on 1mg give it a week or so before looking at decreasing the dosage?

Are side affects actually a bad thing,or is it just down to wether you can perservere with them?

If your getting sides,this means the drugs working in some respect???

I also want to find out what others take finasteride with,and when...Before,after a meal? With water?With Juice?

Secondly,i had a bottle of Nizarol shampoo,but i want to be sure its 1% before i start using this,how can i find out?All it mentions on the bottle is Ketoconazole 20mg,its a 60ml bottle..(excuse me if i'm being thick!!)haha!!

Any help is good guys!!

G

Re: Got my Finpecia Today..

Energie_man said:
if i was to start getting side effects,should i continue on 1mg give it a week or so before looking at decreasing the dosage?

give it a month before decreasing dosage. if sides persist, try cutting back to 0.5 mg per day

Are side affects actually a bad thing,or is it just down to wether you can perservere with them?

Well they're certainly not a good thing if you get them. They may subside with time, however. if they don't, you have to decide whether a decrease in libido or difficulty in getting an erection is worth keeping your hair. Some people decide that it is, some people decide that it isn't. The choice has to be made by you.

If your getting sides,this means the drugs working in some respect???

Well, yeah it means they're working at messing with your hormones pretty well. But getting sides doesn't indicate that you will get great regrowth or anything.

I also want to find out what others take finasteride with,and when...Before,after a meal? With water?With Juice?

You can take it with or without food. Most people use water I imagine but you can drink it down with anything. Or chew it. Doesn't really matter.

Secondly,i had a bottle of Nizarol shampoo,but i want to be sure its 1% before i start using this,how can i find out?All it mentions on the bottle is Ketoconazole 20mg,its a 60ml bottle..(excuse me if i'm being thick!!)haha!!

No way of knowing if it's 1% or 2% unless you post a picture. Doesn't really matter either way, because they're equally effective. If it says Ketoconazole on it then you're fine. Because maybe you'll think you're getting them and it's really just all in your head.

Keep this in mind- it's becoming a bigger and bigger issue on this site it seems- DO NOT anticipate getting sides from finasteride. It only happens to 3-5% of people and a lot of the time the effects subside within a few months.

So many sexual problems are mental anyway, so the worst thing you want to do is resign yourself to the fact that you will get sides.

Good luck

Energie_man

Reaction score
Yer i do agree sides are really over talked about,over elaberated on.If the sides from finasteride were just common sides such as head ache,stomach ache etc then not so many questions would be asked,but because the sides in this case CAN include sexual ones,then people are more wary and cautious before taking them.

Personally i am going to start finasteride,touch wood no sides! IF i do get any,i shall put up with them for a month or so before reviewing the situation.

You can take it with or without food. Most people use water I imagine but you can drink it down with anything. Or chew it. Doesn't really matter.

Think i'd rather guzle it down with water,just outta intrest what does it take like??

One other question which i have searched the forum for is wether finasteride actually generates regrowth?? I know primarily it helps maintain,but not so sure on its success rate with regrowth.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Energie_man said:
Think i'd rather guzle it down with water,just outta intrest what does it take like??

:roll:

Energie_man said:
One other question which i have searched the forum for is wether finasteride actually generates regrowth?? I know primarily it helps maintain,but not so sure on its success rate with regrowth.

The Merck study said 80% had a visual improvement after 2 years...83% at least maintained what they had.

Energie_man

Reaction score
Ahh Right!

I actually ordered 1% Nizoral,i've read mixed reviews on the 2%,it causes shedding ,contributes to poor hair condition...etc.

Any comments?

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Energie_man said:
Ahh Right!

I actually ordered 1% Nizoral,i've read mixed reviews on the 2%,it causes shedding ,contributes to poor hair condition...etc.

Any comments?

Not to me...I've never hand problems with scalp itch or dandruff, though. For me it feels totally harmless and has never produced any side effects. As long as you don't over use it, I'm sure you'll be fine. I actually find it makes my crown look less thin after a wash...don't know why but I've heard other say the same.

Oh...and I'm pretty sure it hasn't promoted any further shedding.

Now less chit-chat and start sucking down that finpecia! :lol:

Energie_man

Reaction score
haha!

Just popped the pill!

I notice your on the same Regimen Skaff! Albeit your taking 0.25 more finasteride than me per day,how you finding things with finasteride?

Howcome you started with minoxidil first?

I'm gonna start using the Nizoral twice a week from today,so i'm now offically in the "I've started the fight against diffusing gang"!!

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Energie_man said:
I notice your on the same Regimen Skaff! Albeit your taking 0.25 more finasteride than me per day,how you finding things with finasteride?
Yeah, I should change that, I'm on about 1mg too (chopping Proscar into 5ths...approx).
Things are going great. My hair loss noticably slowed down almost immediately after finasteride and I haven't notice any side effects at all...other than I'm no longer crying myself to sleep at nights...just kidding! But I do feel better that I know I'm pretty much doing the best I can to save my hair.

Energie_man said:
Howcome you started with minoxidil first?
That was just me not knowing enough. I've got these forums to thank that I didn't continue down that path.

Energie_man said:
I'm gonna start using the Nizoral twice a week from today,so i'm now offically in the "I've started the fight against diffusing gang"!!
Good luck! :D

Energie_man

Reaction score
Right Just an update after 30 days on finasteride..

I have had no sides what so ever,i've been taking 1mg each day,and have unfortunately missed one day (i was on a all day drinking session and i forgot..PLEASE EXCUSE ME! :p ) ,along with this,i've been using Nizoral twice a week,not always on the same days,but i dont believe that matters.

My hair WAS stronger after the first 2 weeks,i noticed that when i ran my hand through my hair i had only one or two hairs coming out,Great i thought!

Its continued,up until this week,and i believe i'm shedding,when i style my hair,look on my pillow,scratch my head,all i see is dead hair.

I'm not fazed by this as i expected it,i'm not getting stressed as its not making my scalp any more visible.

I'll include some pics soon,although i dont think there will be much difference from the previous ones.

One thing i can report is that i've had no lack of sex drive,if anything i actually think its now higher!

I would like one question answered by the experienced users on here!

Going back to my all day drinking binge,is it still ok to take my finasteride after alcohol?

Cheers and i'm signing off for now!!

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
where di you guys order your finpecia from? Looks like I might have to order that since my Doctor isn't going to give me another rx for propecia. Any of you guys had the issue of being searched in customs? You'll hav ethe finpecia without an RX for it. They might take it away or worse, arrest you.

Energie_man

Reaction score
Just over 4 months update...

Thought i'd give a update on the situation!

I'm really considering adding Regaine Foam now,as i feel i have responded well to Finpecia,i have been taking 1mg for around 4 months,i have missed a day now and again,but again i dont think this hurts!

I'm definetly not waking up to as many hairs on my pillow as before i started,so now the ships steady i want to try and add to what i have managed to salvage.

My questions now are related to Regaine,so i shall update my story and include pics there too!

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
recboi said:
where di you guys order your finpecia from? Looks like I might have to order that since my Doctor isn't going to give me another rx for propecia. Any of you guys had the issue of being searched in customs? You'll hav ethe finpecia without an RX for it. They might take it away or worse, arrest you.

so i've been thinking of ordering finpecia... is it illegal for me to do this??? I thought it would be fine. I'm in the U.S. by the way. I just don't want to do it and find out that I should legally not be doing so. But, other people in the U.S. have been doing it and seem to have no problem.
That arrest thing just kind of freaked me out. Any help would be awesome guys. thanks

G

Customs will arrest you for buying finasteride no more than RIAA will arrest you for "downloading music" (whether or not you have a computer).

You can search google for this. If it's non-controlled drugs for personal usage that's less than a 90 day supply than customs typically has a lax importation policy on this stuff. Mainly decriminalized but not "legal" per se even though UP's site says it is.

Energie_man

Reaction score
Apx 6 months on finasteride - 6 weeks on Rogaine Foam.

Right,an update on my own situation,started finasteride in October 06,i'm pretty sure i responded well,as after an initial shed,the hair i was losing in shower ,on pillow etc,were a lot less than before i was on finasteride.

My idea was to always maintain and get some regrowth,so Rogaine was always gonna be considered at some time,but i guess i gave in too early as i wanted "instant" results so to speak.So after 6 months on finasteride i added Rogaine Foam.

Now,after 2 weeks on Foam i noticed i had 1 hair that has just appeard outta nowhere on its on around 1cm from my hairline,its so weird!But the bottom line is,surely this wasn't grown from the foam,so it must have been finasteride?!

I was really like WOW,i know its only one hair,but it just goes to prove that what were doing is working.

So anyways here and now,few words about the Foam.

First of all,i found it very easy to apply,it doesn't take long to apply,few minutes if that.I just make sure i work it into the scalp,mainly on the crown,then i focus on the temples,and also the front of my hairline.

The hair does seem to soak a bit up,but i find if you part your hair in places it makes it a lot easier.

I think 1 can lasted me around 6 weeks but this is due to missing applications,its quite regular that i only apply once per day,maybe 2 days out of 7 i shall miss an application,i dont think for one minute this would make any difference.Same goes for my finasteride intake,i probley miss at least 1 day per week.

My hair at the mo does seem quite dead looking,after the minoxidil application,but to be honest i can live with it,occasionally i will see some white residue in my hair too if i look close.

One other thing,for all you people thinking of starting Foam,i shed quite a bit for around the first 4 weeks,you just gotta ride it out,today i can pull at my hair and have no hair fall out,wheras 2 weeks ago i ran my fingers through and bam!Hairs hairs hairs!!

I would like to know how soon after using Nizoral can i apply the Rogaine Foam anyone care to tell me??

Thanks for reading,i will try and update more regular than i have done!

I'm gonna get some more pics too!In the next few days hopefully!