Got hair transplant last week...thanks for the support here

WebBubba

Reaction score
Hi folks,
This is my first post, but I've been reading these forums for weeks, and especially in the last week after my hair transplant surgery with Dr. Hasson last monday for 3,764 grafts. I'm now 8 days in and it's very helpful to get the advice for post-op and expectations, thank you very much for your contributions.

As much research as I did, I think there were two things that I was not expecting: the degree of scalp numbness and the discomfort in the suture area. I'm seeing now that the numbness is to be expected both in the donor and recipient area. But man, it sure feels odd, I hate it.

I suspect that the continued pain in my suture area is a result of how tight the strip is. I suppose I should have done more scalp laxity exercises, eh? But, do you think I'm at risk for having a larger scar now because there is constant tension on it from the tight scalp?

Even though I still have a few tiny scabs and a lot of dry skin, should I now start the Vitamin E? I've seem so many different opinions about when to start using Vit E or Aloe. Obviously, I want to hold on to as many grafts as possible and heal up as quick as I can.

Anyway, thanks for the sense of community and support these forums have provided me.

- Eric :hairy:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hassan and Wong are famous for the amount of grafts that they can harvest, (more than any other clinic current record is nearly 8000 :shock: ) maybe if you'd done more scalp laxety excercises they would have just got a bigger strip. As its you're first hair transplant you are probably shocked by the pain (its a subject that is rarely covered on the forums).
But I can assure you I've only ever seen very good scars from H&W, just to be on the safe side though I'd make sure that you dont do anything that could cause a stretch. No working out or heavy lifting for a long time.

powersam

Reaction score
WebBubba said:
I suspect that the continued pain in my suture area is a result of how tight the strip is. I suppose I should have done more scalp laxity exercises, eh? But, do you think I'm at risk for having a larger scar now because there is constant tension on it from the tight scalp?

Even though I still have a few tiny scabs and a lot of dry skin, should I now start the Vitamin E? I've seem so many different opinions about when to start using Vit E or Aloe. Obviously, I want to hold on to as many grafts as possible and heal up as quick as I can.
- Eric :hairy:

apparently rosehip oil is better than Vit E and aloe for scars. i'd probably use all three but definitely rosehip.

and i just checked around, most plastic surgeons recommend starting vitamin e etc in the second week after the operation. basically once the incision is dry and starting to close up.

G

The tightness will improve dramatically over the next 30-45 days. The numbness will subside over the next nine months as the severed nerves heal and grow. The tenderness in the sutured area will improve greatly in the next two weeks. Obviously there are some minor variations with this.

Are you using a post-op healing product such as Graftcyte?

WebBubba

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and information. I think I'm feeling more on the mend today which is great. I get my staples out tomorrow, and I'm hoping that will help some of the sharp pinching that I think is from the metal sticking into my head (at least I hope it is).

Regarding Graftcyte, I asked the office before I went for my procedure if I should get some type of special healing solution and they specifically said, "no, the grafts heal just fine on their own." I asked Dr. Hasson again just after the surgery and he said to just use the Vitamin E. So apparently Hasson and Wong do not recommend or give patients Graftcyte. From reading on here, I understand it's just for the first 72 hour period anyway, right? I started Vitamin E yesterday, and it has helped with the dry skin.

Most of my scabs and crusts are now gone after the medium pressure massaging on my scalp I used yesterday and today in the shower, but still not using direct water pressure. I'm hoping I didn't dislodge any follicles, even though there were a few very thin hairs attached to some crusts.

I appreciate how active this board is and the support! Cheers! - Eric

G

There is no question that the staples are a large part of the discomfort. I had them too. I bet you are feeling much better by now.

Clinics do vary in their opinions on post-op care. Graftcyte is a good product, especially for those who heal a little bit slower including diabetics. Some clinics simply recommmend spraying saline solution to help facilitate the healinbg process.

Yes, Graftcyte is good for the 3 days following surgery. After that, it's really not as necesarry unless again the patient heals slower. The manufacturer of Graftcyte also makes post procedure healing products for chemical peels and other facial procedures.

I highly doubt that you did any damage from massaging the crusts off of your scalp. The follicles are imbedded deeply enough and adequate healing of the epidermis should have occurred by now.

The challenging part is waiting for regrowth becauser it can seem like it's taking forever. Just be patient and enjoy the change in your appearance! :jump: