Got A Replacement From A Stylist Who Went Viral Online

flippyG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys first time poster here but have been lingering for awhile. Saw this guy @phildoeshair because one of his videos was trending and it popped up on my facebook feed. I'm 33 yrs old, was using the hair fibers but eventually got to the point where I was thinning terribly. Got a hair unit and am so much happier! One thing I loved about Phil was preaching the importance of his clients to know how to put the unit on themselves. I had two other consults before Phil and neither of them mentioned self reapplication, but a monthly maintenance fee with them. One of them charged over $200 for monthly maintenance and reapplication. I personally love the tape, although I haven't tried the glue. I exercise 5-6 days a week so I like to take my system off every 7-10 days. First time doing it on my own was very nerve racking and took me close to an hour. I have done it about 4 more times since then and it only takes me about 30mins. Self maintenance is saving me so much money. I can pretty much go to any barber/stylist I want.

All in all, after buying the things I need for self-maintenance I paid about $1000(his cost was higher in his NY location which is where I saw him). But as far as monthly cost, pretty much whatever the cost I pay for a haircut. When I need more supplies, it'll cost me less than $50. The units he uses are from the company hairskeen. I don't remember at all what the type of unit I have but I love it and depending on care I was told 4-6 months before I need a new one.

Check out his IG: @phildoeshair
Im one of the clients in his videos, it won't let me post a link here

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
You paid $1,200 for what, exactly? Hairskeen chargers $700 for a stock system that everyone else sells for at least half. I paid $45 for a top stylist in Madrid for my attachment and cut-in.

My supplier charges $795 for a custom, European hair unit, and $495 for stock (also European hair).

I think you are being seriously overcharged!!!

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, sounds like you are being taken advantage of.

My supplier is $380 for a system, slightly more for European hair. No issues on quality and I get 8-12 months per unit.

At the end of the day, these are disposable items so I tailor my budget accordingly.

Noah

Reaction score
Well yes, there are better bargains to be had. But FlippyG sounds really happy with what his guy Phil has done for him, and obviously he has the money to afford it, so in my book that is something to be celebrated, big time. He has plenty of time to experiment with different suppliers and DIY, and I'm sure he will.

flippyG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Phil does offer it about $200 cheaper in the other city he works out of but because I saw him in NY his cost was a bit higher. Trust me I have looked HARD at finding places that offer this service and it is very limited around where I live, in fact I had to travel a few hours to see him. One place I had a consult did offer a custom piece for about the same price, but the guy I talked to felt like a salesman and just got a bad vibe from him. Plus he didn't really have many pictures of clients hair he's done. Another I went to offered a lower initial price of $600 but had I think it was a $225 monthly maintenance(removal, cut, and reapplication) fee. Phil having a huge social media presence at least gave me a piece of mind and confidence that if I went to him, I knew it would look good.

I was to the point where outside of work I was wearing hats all the time, I dreaded going to events/places where I couldn't wear one, the hair fibers I was using to cover up wasn't cutting it anymore, and my confidence was completely down the drain. In the end, do I wish I could've paid a cheaper price? Absolutely! But I'm happy with going to Phil and the education I received from him you can't put a price on.

But I'm also moving to a much bigger city very soon and I'm going to take all your guys tips into consideration for when I have to get a new unit, and hopefully there will be more stylists who offer this service!

I'm new to this but after having my hair piece for a month and seeing your guys success stories, I am very hopeful :)

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks great. Congrats.

The natural hair on the top, towards the back, back of your head seemed pretty thick and dense, or was it the lighting? If so, are you finding any issues with attachment in that area of the head?

Thanks. Congrats again. It’s so youthful compared to the before.

flippyG

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks great. Congrats.

The natural hair on the top, towards the back, back of your head seemed pretty thick and dense, or was it the lighting? If so, are you finding any issues with attachment in that area of the head?

Thanks. Congrats again. It’s so youthful compared to the before.

Its pretty thick in the back. I currently use tape and reapply myself every 7-10 days. The back definitely tends to start to come off a little when it gets close to a week but not terrible. I also sweat a lot as I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week so I'm sure I could get more out of it if I wasn't so active.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen this system, up close... it's not a miracle. Its' a very average, medium stock system, that is using a MASSIVE AMOUNT of hype and promotion to make this into "something". Think the US version of Quiff & Co., but we all know how the Americans like to take something... and over promote, and charge a fortune for it!

I know a couple of people who tried it for a month and then ditched it.

flippyG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen this system, up close... it's not a miracle. Its' a very average, medium stock system, that is using a MASSIVE AMOUNT of hype and promotion to make this into "something". Think the US version of Quiff & Co., but we all know how the Americans like to take something... and over promote, and charge a fortune for it!

I know a couple of people who tried it for a month and then ditched it.

I plan on trying a new system as recommended by you guys once I'm done with this piece. So far I'm happy with it but I also have nothing else to compare it to as this was my first.

My question is when I order a stock piece elsewhere will I be able to find one with the exact size of my current unit? Since the top of my head is already shaved to the specs of this unit I'm wondering if I switch to a new vendor if I'll have issues with size.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience (and I always say it's mine, and not talking about the entire world of hair replacement), is that the sizes/shapes tend to be standard, which is why people are able to switch between suppliers using dimensions.

If you have ANY concerns about this, my suggestion is to contact the new vendor and ask that same exact question.

When you take the system off, next time you clean it, measure it, back to front, and side to side (at the widest point), I am going to guess it's a standard size, and I think in your case, maybe a 7"x9" (if I recall the video). I don't EVER recall seeing Phil trim a system (t least not in his vids), I am betting it's a standard size. If for some reason it's not, you will need to order up and have it trimmed when it is installed.

I did this with a system I ordered directly from China (never doing THAT again). It was completely the wrong size. What I did was take my template, and trace with a make-up pencil and trimmed it (carefully, to cut the lace and not the hair) to my template.

BTW, it never hurts to have a template, even if you are using stock systems, just for this reason. If you have a friend who can help you make one, it's easy.

Steve