Got A New Piece - But It's Too Light In Color / Can I Dye?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know the hair can be dyed but how do I do it without coloring the lace as well? Or does the lace not take color?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello. If you search this forum, you will find many posts.

In short, if human hair, yes you can. (Going darker) Lace is synthetic so should not take. I would however "paint" the dye on hair tips only and avoid the root or knots in order not to not damage them.
Also, better to wash new piece as silicone from factory can prevent dye from catching.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello. If you search this forum, you will find many posts.

In short, if human hair, yes you can. (Going darker) Lace is synthetic so should not take. I would however "paint" the dye on hair tips only and avoid the root or knots in order not to not damage them.
Also, better to wash new piece as silicone from factory can prevent dye from catching.

Thanks. I'm thinking of using non-standard dye, as that, from what I understand, first bleaches the hair - then adds color. That's to say, it sounds damaging.

I use, and have used for some time, a product called Bigen for my eyebrows and bio hair, which are both too grey for my taste.

It only adds color. I'm sure it'll be gentler.

Thanks for mentioning the pre-wash.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you strip hair that has already been stripped... you are going to do some serious damage. When going darker, it's better to use a dye that does not contain peroxide.

Silly question, why did you order the wrong color? Or did you order the right color, but received the wrong color from the factory?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you strip hair that has already been stripped... you are going to do some serious damage. When going darker, it's better to use a dye that does not contain peroxide.

Silly question, why did you order the wrong color? Or did you order the right color, but received the wrong color from the factory?

No, I received what I ordered, interesting in having lighter hair than my bio. But I went too light - the pictures of the color made it look darker.

I haven't tried this system on, besides throwing it on, just as it came from the factory, without any adhesive, just to see what I'd purchased.

Washed my face out. Too monochromatic. Could always tan my *** off too.

Hoping, with gel, which I use in excess, the color will be more akin to what I'd envisioned.

@BaldBearded: Any recommendations on non-peroxide dyes?

Just for Men falls into that category, I'm sure.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I have some of this at home, a product I've been using a few years on my eyebrows, and if I want to rock stubble, throughout my beard.

Deposit-only, no-peroxide &, allegedly, permanent.

https://bigen-usa.com/products/permanent-powder

I am terrified it will stain the lace. Is that issue out of the question?

Does semi-permanent work well in tandem with toupees? Sweat, products, etc., don't make it run?

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Semi-permanent hair dyes wash out with shampoo, over time.

Since you should NOT be using shampoo on your system every time you wet your hair in the shower, and only once a week or two during removal, your color will last longer.

The lace won't stain because it's synthetic and does not take to dye, like human hair.

You also pain the dye on, when the system is off your head. Be careful NOT to soak the base, just in case. I dyed a MONO system that I got from someone, with permanent, black dye (black mohawk, was awesome). No problem.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
You know, I unboxed the toupee from Lord again, and in no way could this color be considered "medium brown-light;" It's a bad color by my book, something that looks far more like blonde hair with some grey in it.

Lord accepts returns but not if you have the base of your system cut to non-stock specs.

The haircut they gave the piece could also be a disqualifying factor, but this color is so wildly different than what they have depicted on their website that I'm going to complain.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Semi-permanent hair dyes wash out with shampoo, over time.

Since you should NOT be using shampoo on your system every time you wet your hair in the shower, and only once a week or two during removal, your color will last longer.

The lace won't stain because it's synthetic and does not take to dye, like human hair.

You also pain the dye on, when the system is off your head. Be careful NOT to soak the base, just in case. I dyed a MONO system that I got from someone, with permanent, black dye (black mohawk, was awesome). No problem.

When you shower, do you always condition? What's your shampoo/conditioner routine?

Also, does it matter what conditioner you use? I'm using some very inexpensive Suave conditioner I had prior to buying the piece. The woman who sold me it gave me a shampoo and told me to omit conditioner altogether as it loosens knots...

If conditioner type matters, what should I be looking for in an ordinary, drugstore-variety product?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you shower, do you always condition? What's your shampoo/conditioner routine?

Also, does it matter what conditioner you use? I'm using some very inexpensive Suave conditioner I had prior to buying the piece. The woman who sold me it gave me a shampoo and told me to omit conditioner altogether as it loosens knots...

If conditioner type matters, what should I be looking for in an ordinary, drugstore-variety product?

I don't shampoo or condition when I shower (only my beard... LOL). The hair gets washed once a week, in a bowl, in the sink. I only use a spray-in conditioner with sunscreen. I also only use Schwarzkopf BC Bonacure products. Not sure what's available in 'murica.

If you do condition your system, you do it OFF your head and avoid getting on the knots.

That is why I only use leave-in. I spray it on the outer layers of my coiffure... so it is protected from UV, and it gets worked it a bit without laying on the base.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
That was the original way I was going to operate: advised shampoo with spray leave-in. But I got an extremely oily spray I don't like, and decided to take the plunge w ordinary (sub-par?) conditioner. I don't know how I'd really use any ordinary conditioner without its getting all over the lace...Maybe I rinse with the unit upside down (lace facing up)?

Anyway https://bigen-usa.com/products/permanent-powder is the color I use - deposit-only, free of peroxide.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know the hair can be dyed but how do I do it without coloring the lace as well? Or does the lace not take color?

go out and get the strongest hair gel you can find. "Paint" the gel on the underside of the unit prior to dye, let dry then dye it. Wash gel out while you are washing the dye out under warm water

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
go out and get the strongest hair gel you can find. "Paint" the gel on the underside of the unit prior to dye, let dry then dye it. Wash gel out while you are washing the dye out under warm water

Now that sounds like a good method. Genius. Coat the bottom. Plus I'll probably paint it on the mannequin head.

Do you think Got2B Glued would be a good solution? I wonder if the spray would be better...I heard some people use it as both a styling product and knot-sealer hhaha

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now that sounds like a good method. Genius. Coat the bottom. Plus I'll probably paint it on the mannequin head.

Do you think Got2B Glued would be a good solution? I wonder if the spray would be better...I heard some people use it as both a styling product and knot-sealer hhaha
I never used got2b glued. I used a very strong blue hairgel. It is great because when you wash it out you can tell if you got all the gel off because it is blue and not clear. Just remember to wait until it dries very stiff. this can take an hour or so.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know what item it was that you used? I'm at the store now.

If Lord doesn't bleach its knots, which they claim to do, certainly this toupee is blonde enough that I'd like to preserve the color at the lace level & below. I also don't want the color to damage my knots, despite its being anything but harsh.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know what item it was that you used? I'm at the store now.

If Lord doesn't bleach its knots, which they claim to do, certainly this toupee is blonde enough that I'd like to preserve the color at the lace level & below. I also don't want the color to damage my knots, despite its being anything but harsh.
SEXYHAIR Style Hard Up Hard Holding Gel . I bought it online somewhere

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
SEXYHAIR Style Hard Up Hard Holding Gel . I bought it online somewhere
Anything particularly different about it beyond its color? I have Got2B, LA Looks & Eco - Eco being the best gel out there. Superior hold, UV protection, conditioning.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anything particularly different about it beyond its color? I have Got2B, LA Looks & Eco - Eco being the best gel out there. Superior hold, UV protection, conditioning.
probably not. yours is probably better...more stiff

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
This woman echoes your sentiments.

I wish I'd purchased this water-color the girl at the Beauty Supply was recommending.

She does the gel method, using Got2B, and the results are excellent.

I bought, instead, a product by Bigen - my fav brand for deposit-only perm-color - the line's semi-perm "conditioner."

I'm almost uninterested, not disinterested, but uninterested, in doing gel base coverage & just jumping in to the coloring without that condom