good exercises to really tire out back and shoulders?

powersam

Reaction score
i find it easy to get the burn in my chest and arms, but never seem to be able to get that same ache in my shoulders or my back. are there any really good exercises for working the back that allow you to use enough weight to really get the burn going.

i find those barbell bent over rows really hard to do in a stable way, plus the position makes me wary of using too much weight in case of hernias.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bent over dumbell rows are awesome. as are alot of row machines, preferably ones that you can stack plates on, not pully system junk.
wide grip pull downs are good too.

powersam

Reaction score
guess i need to go to a gym then. never used a rowing machine, are there ones where you can really pile on the resistance so its like lifting weights but sideways?

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Powersam, you have to do pull ups if you really want a V back. It's so fast. When you can do 25 in a row you have been in jail.

powersam

Reaction score
like chin ups but with your palms facing the other way hey. yeah actually now that i think about it back when i used to climb my back and shoulders always got a good burn.

G

have sex standing up with the girl wrapped around your waist in the air.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I especially like cables used to isolate the upper back. Otherwise with free weights most people tend to cheat, and the exercises themselves can be tedious.

However, cable seated rows are fun
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... edRow.html

And so are close grip pulldowns
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Lat ... ldown.html

or front pulldowns
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Lat ... ldown.html

and of course, there's nothing better than pull-ups and chin-ups, especially weighted, or the old standby bent-over-barbell row.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Really heavy dumbell shrugs.

powersam

Reaction score
cant believe i forgot those. used to do heaps of them and it worked great.

Rintintin

Reaction score
yes, i agree with you joseph. thsoe 3 exercises are the one i use for my back when i go the gym. i find the really help out alot, especially for beginners. I'm skinny so i dont do my abck as often cuz i dont want to get too wide. I try to focus on keeping my back at a certain with so I dont do too much weight and focus on repititions.

CCS

Reaction score
Lorenzo_91 said:
When you can do 25 in a row you have been in jail.

funny coincidence. not me, though.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:

that should mostly work your traps.

s.a.f

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
s.a.f said:

I figured that was what he was talking about but did'nt know the terminoligy.

powersam

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
[quote="s.a.f":c5403]Really heavy dumbell shrugs.

I figured that was what he was talking about but did'nt know the terminoligy.[/quote:c5403]

my traps are exactly what i dont want to work out. i have a problem where lots of exercises that are meant to target my delts and back just seem to make my traps get bigger and bigger.