Good Color Matching? Dont Know What To Do

Limneson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi!

Im about to get my second system and want better color matching than the first system. I did it at a salon the first time. I dont live close so i cant go back and forth very often. Last time I send them pictures to match haircolor which dident turn out great. I have to say it was better in the begiining but now the system is to light compair to my real hair.

I have like a blackbrown color with grey on some areas. I want to color my real hair this time but unsure of the best way to get a good color match. Is it hard to get a good color match if you order yourself?
I am wonder what you guys recommend and what you would do?

Sure I could go to the salon back and forth if it garantees to get a good color match. But i prefer not to since its pricy, takes time and also im still gonna be lost when i order my first system online like i am now. And that is what i want to transistion to, to be able to order online myself.

I could also dye my hair and send in a sample to for example lordhair, I was thinking about ordering the system from there. Is that a good place or is there a better one?

Im gonna use this color, or its more like a color that removes the grey hair and colors it if the dye color is darker than the haircolor. https://www.schwarzkopf.international/en/brands/haircolor/men-perfect/anti-grey-color-gel.html
I was thinking about using the black color or the blackbrown one.

On lordhair they have 3 colors on the hairsystems that could fit me after I dye it. #1 jet black, #1B offblack and #2 darkbrown.
If I dye the real hair black and get a system with jet black or off black it does not seem to be alot that can go wrong when it comes to color matching since its just 2 colors to choose from.

Would really be thankfull for some advice feeling kinda lost!

Best regards!
Limneson

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Limneson

In my experience the key to getting a good colour match is to provide a small hair sample. It is hard to judge colour accurately from a photo. I am told the Chinese manufacturers analyse the sample under the microscope so that they can replicate the same mix of tones as your natural hair. Natural hair, of course, is not a single colour, but a mix of similar tones. When I have provided a sample I have normally got a perfect colour match.

If you plan to dye your natural hair, then you would do that first, and then provide the sample from the dyed hair.

For a further sophistication, if you have different tones on different parts of your head, you can send several samples and mark your template to show where each sample should go. For example, if your hair is lighter at the front, or greyer at the temples.

It sounds like your problem is not just getting a good match, but maintaining it. The key to that is (a) protecting the system from the sun as much as you can, and in particular using a good sunscreen every day. I use a daily leave-in conditioner with sunscreen included, and that works very well; (b) not over-washing the piece - usually one shampoo a week should be enough; and (c) using a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner any time you notice a slight divergence from the colour of your natural hair.

Hope this is useful.

Noah

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I must say that from using a hair sample and getting a custom piece the colour match has been fantastic for me.

I'd recommend that.

Colour fading for me was an issue with a particularly bad salon which was harsh on the system during cleaning.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Definitely providing a reasonable length of hair in a sample will be more accurate. Screens and resolutions are not reliable for true colour. Even ring colours are an estimate.

As Noah said, hair is seldom one shade so a length of hair from different areas of your head, clearly labelled will help replicate your natural look.

Limneson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys!

I deffinetly send in some samples to some site, do you guys use lordhair for this or what website do you use? It seem to take some time with these custom made systems. About 2 months to send and some more weeks until they have the samples. I need something meanwhile temporary. I had my system for like 6-7 months now and it shows. I should have planed it better, a lesson for the future.

In the meantime I guess a missmatch in color could be fine for now if it looks intentinal. What do you guys think is the best idea?
1. Color my real hair black and order a system with jet black or offblack color and try to make it as close as possible in color
2. Color my real hair black/blackbrown and order a blond system and go with that style

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, if you have made the decision to wear a system, you have to always have a wearable back-up unit, which does require a bit of planning, especially if you order custom. Probably the best plan is, as soon as you get one system, put in your order for the next one. Otherwise you tend to forget and time passes, and then you realise your current unit is not looking so good and you have 2 months to wait for a replacement.

The colour choice is quite a personal one, but if you are the kind of guy who can carry off a blond top on dark brown sides, I would go for that. If you have to have a colour mismatch, better to have a dramatic one that looks like it's an intentional fashion statement, rather than a badly-matched hairpiece.

I will PM you some suggestions on suppliers.

Noah

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got so sick and tired of buying dye's and guessing...Here is what I did: I went to sallys and told the lady "I need the top hair on my head to match the back and sides" she looked for a few seconds and came back with wella medium dark ash smokey blonde.

I went home and she nailed it! perfect match!! does she know I wear? probably. Do I care? no. I will probably never see her again now that I know the exact color to order from their web site.

good luck.

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got so sick and tired of buying dye's and guessing...Here is what I did: I went to sallys and told the lady "I need the top hair on my head to match the back and sides" she looked for a few seconds and came back with wella medium dark ash blonde.

I went home and she nailed it! perfect match!! does she know I wear? probably. Do I care? no. I will probably never see her again now that I know the exact color to order from their web site.

good luck.
Lets see some pictures

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a BTW... I have yet to have a client that I can't match his hair to something on a color ring. Even grey percentages are well represented. The only issue comes when you have different color densities in different zones, that is what a custom unit is good for.