Gonna try azelaic acid

chrb

Reaction score
So I started taking propecia again a couple of weeks ago after quitting it in August.

I've only been taking it at very low doses of .25mg every other day. Whilst it's worked pretty well for my hair, I've unfortunately gotten side effects such as massively decreased libido and weaker erections.

For this reason I'm going to give azelaic acid a try and see if it actually works. I've gotten my hair to a decent place using propecia and minoxidil and I'm hoping to be able to use the azelaic acid as a DHT blocker rather than propecia.

Anyway I'll post an update in around a month with pics showing the results I get.

rcom440

Reaction score
What % do you use? I'm using 20% azelaic acid and it itch like crazy. A few days I started using a little bit less but it's still itching.

rcom440

Reaction score
Some people claim it works especially with minoxidil.
I still need more time to evaluate it.
BTW, I'm using Strata Melazepam Emollient Cream (20% Azelaic Acid) available online and Vitamin Shopee in the US. It's quite inexpensive.

chrb

Reaction score
I just got it today. Skinoren cream - 20% strength. I've only applied it for the first time this morning but I haven't noticed any itching, no. I tend to be fairly tolerant of topicals. I can use nizoral everyday without any problems.

I'm gonna go off propecia and give it a month's trial with minoxidil

It's a bit of a nightmare to apply since it's a cream and gets my hair all greasy but I'm gonna stick with it cos propecia sides are really starting to worry me.

If it does prove effective I'll probably get a minoxidil and azelaic acid formula to save money

rcom440

Reaction score
It was fine first week then it started itching. Now I'm trying to apply much less. The 20% azelaic acid cream I bought was $12 and I think it should last me at least 6 months.

chrb

Reaction score
It was fine first week then it started itching. Now I'm trying to apply much less. The 20% azelaic acid cream I bought was $12 and I think it should last me at least 6 months.

Ah. It could be because of the strength. As I understand 20% is really overkill for hair loss purposes. I've read that only 5% azelaic acid is enough to kill 99% of scalp DHT. Most hair loss formulas I've seen don't have more than 5% AA in them. Perhaps consider lowering the strength of cream you use

rcom440

Reaction score
I know. I'm trying to use less but it's hard to spread it around.