Gonna start rogaine, anyway my hair could end up worse?

P51

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally gonna make the plunge into using rogaine (cant take DHT blockers as my T is already low). Is it possible my hair will end up worse off? I'm not talking about the shed, but overall after the shed, can rogaine make me worse off? Also what concerns me is I read "I had a shed, but then my hair came back thicker". How do you know that you're not just back at baseline and just the shed hair came back?

9tfrizzco

Established Member
Reaction score
dht blockers actually raise t a little bit, so i don't understand your reasoning for not taking finasteride.

and minoxil alone won't make your hair worse, but it won't do jack **** in the long term either.

P51

Established Member
Reaction score
dht blockers actually raise t a little bit, so i don't understand your reasoning for not taking finasteride.

and minoxil alone won't make your hair worse, but it won't do jack **** in the long term either.
Every single doctor has said no to finasteride, no offense, but I trust experts on hormone replacement. I have test in the low 200s at 23. It should be around 700-800.

9tfrizzco

Established Member
Reaction score
Every single doctor has said no to finasteride, no offense, but I trust experts on hormone replacement. I have test in the low 200s at 23. It should be around 700-800.
how many have you asked? no to finasteride or general or just for you? most probably aren't big proponents of it for treating hairloss, but most don't really know that much about the drug or hairloss. if you start having any problems, which you almost certainly won't, then come off it. and test and dht are different hormones.

P51

Established Member
Reaction score
how many have you asked? no to finasteride or general or just for you? most probably aren't big proponents of it for treating hairloss, but most don't really know that much about the drug or hairloss. if you start having any problems, which you almost certainly won't, then come off it. and test and dht are different hormones.

1 derm.
1 hair transplant doctor.
1 urologist.
1 endo.

All of them said after a year I could start finasteride after trt, but getting my test levels normal is way more important than hair (their words not mine).

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only the hair transplant doctor has an opinion worth a damn. If you can't take finasteride, then at least get on a topical DHT blocker/antiandrogen like spironolactone/S5. You need to do something about DHT.

P51

Established Member
Reaction score
Only the hair transplant doctor has an opinion worth a damn. If you can't take finasteride, then at least get on a topical DHT blocker/antiandrogen like spironolactone/S5. You need to do something about DHT.

Okay. What about the rogaine.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure rogaine is important for regrowth once you've got that DHT under control. Without a DHT inhibitor rogaine is fighting against the tide. Some people see some great succes with rogaine alone, but sooner or later the DHT damage will outpace the advantages of increased scalp blood flow and you'll be fighting a losing battle. Rogaine is important, but soring out that DHT is more important for long term success.

donyell

Reaction score
someone with an underlying hormonal imbalance should NOT take finasteride or if they do need baselines and regular monitoring...

Total T is raised on finasteride but bioavailable may be lowered (I've seen conflicting studies and will confirm for myself when i compare bloodtests i get soon with baselines)

You should consider RU bro, without an AA your hair is doomed.

hare

Reaction score
My guess is that if testosterone is out of range, then doctors will feel responsible in addressing that and prioritizing it before hair loss, regardless of its implications on taking finasteride. Otherwise they won't bother.

Sherrilyn1967

Banned
Reaction score

Absolutely this. And I don't need a doctor's confirmation to know that.

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
if u have low test, then why are u balding ? i dont see how a DHT blocker would hurt