Going to the Doctor to get Propecia

Daytrader

Reaction score
I noticed the last time I went to get my haircut that I was thinning at the crown of my head. I was horrified and was in denial for about 2 months and now I want to deal with this problem.

I have been under alot of stress the last 2 years or so and I think this may have contributed to this hair loss on the crown area. I'm 41 and I've lost some hair on the hairline but not enough to be a huge concern.

Anyway what kind of doctor do you go to for propecia? I assume a dermatologist? I'm really afraid of doctors I must admit. Do they give you a physical, take blood pressure readings or just look at your head and say yup you are losing hair and give you the prescription? What was your experience? My bro is a podiatrist I wonder if he can prescribe this to me?

thanks.

Daytrader

Reaction score
Ah, I'm finally on propecia. Got the prescription today. My Derm first mentioned rogaine and after I looked totally uninterested did she mention propecia. I was surprised she talked about rogaine first it seems it is a second rate med compared to propecia's success. My feeling is Hair Loss is not a very profitable side of the derm business and so they don't really focus much on that sort of thing unless they specialize in Hair loss. I could be wrong though. No mention of Nizoral or T/Gel at all. I'm just happy to get on propecia.

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia is good for the crown area. I just got a buzz haircut 3 weeks ago and I noticed that my crown has started to thin, just barely but in certain lighting and angles I can tell.

The thinning region is the region that I has been really itchy for the last year or so. I used to have my hair relatively long and couldn't tell that it was thinning. Glad I caught it now. The entire reason I shaved my head was because I was sick of washing out the topicals.

I have propecia waiting for me at the post office, tomorrow I'm going to go pick it up and take 0.25mg/day. fingers crossed. Then, I'll probably fill in the temple area with a small hair transplant and pray for HM by 2012.