Going Grey

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Well its finally happening folks. Your old man is going grey. Hit the 30 yr old mark and here they come, one by one. In fact this month alone more have shown up than ever before. Soon I will look like the Admin icon ................ but more likely ill be coloring my hair for quite some time.

"Natural Highlights" :)

HairLossTalk.com

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are a few alternatives to hair color, although that works also.

First, there is Melancor. I've been taking it a few months, and it appears to be working. The few gray hairs I had have now almost completely disappeared. Also, I had a few gray hairs in my mustache, and they have turned normal colored too.

Second, copper peptides reverse gray color on some people. Although I use Folligen, I don't use it on the sides of my head, where gray had been starting to appear, so I attribute losing the gray there to Melancor. However, for some people, copper peptides do reverse graying. According to Loren Pickart, the reason for this is that "the formation of hair pigment is controlled by a copper enzyme called tyrosinase." I have started spraying Folligen on my beard once a day to see if it will get rid of the gray hairs I have there.

Third, there is always Grecian Formula and similar knockoff products. These work very well. Until I took Melancor and it started to work, I used this, and one or two applications would eliminate the gray and return my natural color. I would have to use it once a week to keep it that way. Using it for a few hours on a Saturday morning, and then washing it out, would be enough. These products contain lead, which is why some people don't like them, but when used on the hair and scalp, the lead doesn't find it's way into the bloodstream. The product I use has a nasty odor, though, so I can't use it if I'm going to leave the house.

The thing I like about these three approaches rather than hair color is that with hair color, you can't consistently match your natural color exactly, no matter how much you try. And the color can vary from application to application, sometimes too dark, sometimes not dark enough to cover the gray, since how dark it gets depends on precisely how long you leave it in your hair. Even 30 seconds can make a difference. Also, why color your entire head when you're gray only in spots? With hair color, you have no choice, and I could never get it to look completely natural. None of this is a problem with the other three approaches.

Cassin

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Second, copper peptides reverse gray color on some people. Although I use Folligen, I don't use it on the sides of my head, where gray had been starting to appear, so I attribute losing the gray there to Melancor. However, for some people, copper peptides do reverse graying. According to Lorren Pickart, the reason for this is that "the formation of hair pigment is controlled by a copper enzyme called tyrosinase."

Yup, I had patches of gray coming in on both sides of my head, more on the right side than left.

14 months later on Copper-Peptides, I have a few strands on the right side but not nearly as much as before, and the left side is clear of gray now. Very nice side effect of CP's that I did not expect. :) Anyone losing their hair should be on Copper-Peptides anyway, Tricomin is clear and dries in 10 minutes so IMO, that is the prime choice. I didn't even realize they had started goign away till my girlfriend mentioned it.

johnogroats

Reaction score
I'm on Fo-ti, the Chinese herb. Any of you guys heard of this?

I'm 23 and have noticeable greying and so I'm pretty interested in these Copper peptides.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have heard about the Chinese herbs that are supposed to reduce or eliminate gray, but I have never tried them. How long have you been on them? Are they working for you?

Copper peptides are great for hair loss. Check out the article on them at http://www.skinbio.com

Tricomin or Folligen are the ones most people use. There is also an American Crew product that is pretty much the same as Tricomin. Tricomin is more expensive and weaker than Folligen, which is why I use Folligen, but Folligen is a very dark green, and for some people, it stains their head. That washes out, however. I have had no problem with staining.

IMO, no hair loss regimen is complete without copper peptides. There are so many benefits to using them, including better scalp health and less irritation, hair regrowth, and possibly preventing or reducing graying. They are also the easiest topical to use, since they dry with no residue in 10 minutes.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Folligen is 9% copper, Tricomin is less than 2%, I believe. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Tricomin is less effective. My understanding is that Folligen contains several different peptide structures, i.e., several different forms of copper. We don't know that all of them are equally effective. It is possible that the single peptide in Tricomin is the most effective one. Still, Pickart's patents are based on very strong copper peptide strength. Generally speaking, his research has shown that the more copper, the faster the skin remodeling, and the greater the hair regrowth. So it is likely, but not proven, that Folligen is a stronger regrowth agent than Tricomin.

Cassin

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Folligen is 9% copper, Tricomin is less than 2%, I believe. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Tricomin is less effective. My understanding is that Folligen contains several different peptide structures, i.e., several different forms of copper. We don't know that all of them are equally effective. It is possible that the single peptide in Tricomin is the most effective one. Still, Pickart's patents are based on very strong copper peptide strength. Generally speaking, his research has shown that the more copper, the faster the skin remodeling, and the greater the hair regrowth. So it is likely, but not proven, that Folligen is a stronger regrowth agent than Tricomin.

I agree on every point of the above quote.

But from what I quoted from you before that was taken, at least by me, was in the context that Tricomin is not as good. I just wanted you to clarify what you meant. :)

Also keep in mind that Dr Pickart tends to get confused about his very own Copper-Peptides and what the percetage is of his very own products. That 9% figure is shaky since in an email to me, Dr Pickart misquoted the strengths in a series of email's, once back to back within 30 minutes time.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I didn't say that Tricomin was not as good, I said that it was weaker, which is true.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tricomin contains a lower percentage of copper. Copper is the active ingredient. Therefore it is weaker. Keep in mind that copper in aquaeous solution is a blue-green color. Procyte has to add blue color to its product so that Tricomin appears blue. Folligen is a much darker color, and no coloring agents are added.

Tricomin is much stronger, it has much more copper in it. As I've stated, it doesn't follow that it is more effective, although there is evidence that it is, just not conclusive evidence.

Cassin

Reaction score
But the fact still remains that they are different types of CP's. That is what I am stating so you cannot state it is weaker.

Also, from my understanding Tricomin uses detergents to bleach out the sickly green color and adds back in a more blue color to make the product more cosmetically appealing.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin, I think you know better than what you are posting. I'm not sure what your point is. There is more copper in Folligen than Tricomin. Do you dispute that fact? There are several different "types" of copper in Folligen, i.e. several different peptides. But they are all copper, and they are all very, very similar to each other, with only slight variations. All have been proven in research to be effective skin remodeling agents which fight skin irritation and promote hair regrowth. The fact that there are slightly different peptides in Folligen has nothing to do with the strength of the copper solution -- Folligen simply contains a much higher amount of copper than Tricomin does. Therefore, by definition it is stronger. I didn't say it was more effective -- we don't really know either way -- but it is an undeniable fact that it contains a lot more copper. The fact that it contains several slightly different peptide structures is irrelevant to that point.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Cassin et al.,

Folligen is incredibly expensive for what it is. Have you guys considered making your own solution, or are their generics out there?

D.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How is Folligen expensive? The peptides in it are patented -- you can only get them by licensing them from Pickart, or you can get the version that Procyte uses by licensing it from Procyte. What am I missing here? Neither product is simply generic copper in aquaeous solution, they are comprised of specific copper peptides, which are patented.

drinkrum

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
How is Folligen expensive? The peptides in it are patented -- you can only get them by licensing them from Pickart, or you can get the version that Procyte uses by licensing it from Procyte. What am I missing here? Neither product is simply generic copper in aquaeous solution, they are comprised of specific copper peptides, which are patented.

Ain't it about $30/month? That's expensive in my book.

D.

Cassin

Reaction score
Drinkrum

ex mea sententia

It is easier to just buy it. :)

I use a lot of the solution (Tricomin, $50 per bottle) and I will probably avergae 2 bottles per year from here on out.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Here are the ingredients in Folligen spray: Purified Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Glycerin, Polysorbate-20, Allantoin, Cupric Sulfate, Diazolinydinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Herbal Fragrance.

Nothing too fancy or expensive.

D.