Going Good

Gorillaz

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to share my story and journey so far.I am a first time poster, long time lurker.

To begin, i really want to say that the support on this section of the site is incredible-I agree with those who say that attitude towards treatment plays a strong part in your success, in particular the perception of your success, expectations and side-effects.

Reading about people's success gave me the confidence to begin treatment. I was initially very reluctant to start, as I had read threads on the main board, as well as in that 'propeciahelp' site. Like many others, i thought I would rather lose my hair than experience some of the side-effects that some people talk of.

Anyhoo, I am now 28 and have been taking Finpecia every 2 days since december 2010. My hair prior to beginning treatment was still quite thick, but i had notice a change in its quality and density for the past 3 years or so. It seemed really limp, fine and each strand seemed thinner than it used to. My hairline was sneaking backward at the temples too.

I was also losing many many hairs every day- every time i ran my hand through my hair, i would pull out at least 5 or so, and would always be finding my hairs on my desk and my shoulders every time i looked. Pretty depressing

I spent many hours trawling the net for treatments, hoping for something magic, and to avoid going on the 'real meds'. In the end i sat on my hands and didn't try anything for about 3 years, out of fear.

Eventually, i decided that I would just go for it, so in October, I ordered finpecia online. I was pretty nervous when it arrived, but i popped one that morning. My balls ached like crazy that afternoon- enough to tell me that i was not going to take it anymore.

By December, I decided to give it another go, and committed to trying it for a month- very glad i did this. After a few days, my balls didn't ache anymore.

So now, im up to about 8 months and my hair has improved greatly-i think its as good as it was probably 6 years ago-looks healthy, thick and i'm not losing nearly as much as i was.

In terms of side-effects, I had a few moments where i thought, sh*t-im getting man-boobs, or, I cant get it up, but in reality none of those things have happened, i was just paranoid. The only thing i've noticed has been a lack of morning wood. However, (maybe takes slightly longer), I have had no problems with erectile function.

I am not going to share photo's, just wanted tell my story and thank everybody for contributing to this page- it made a big difference to me, as im sure it has to others.

If i can offer a recommendation to anyone starting on this drug, i would say to be positive and avoid reading about other people's side-effects and paranoia. Of course it is not going to work the same for everyone, but i believe that reading about the negatives may alter your perceptions of what is happening to you. Stick to the 'Success Stories'- its the only hair loss page i have read since starting meds.

Sorry for the essay!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Good post. I too was scared away from propecia for 2 years. I finally started taking it in May of '09. Same experience as you, my balls ached the next day and it was FREAKING me out. I ended up cutting the pills in half and doing .5mg a day. Ball ache stopped after about a week or 2 and it's been smooth sailing ever since :)

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Amen and thank you for the post! :bravo:

Seiya

Reaction score
When you say you take the pill every two days, what do you mean?
Like if you start monday, the next time will be wednesday, and then friday, and then sunday... tuesday... thursday... etc?