Going From Hair Piece To Transplant - What I've Learned.

Kinglewis121

Reaction score
I'm not totally sure why i've logged in recently , since writing my post a few years back ? i forgot about this forum and wen't about my business.

You might have remembered i posted almost 2 years ago about having my first system put on and how it went. photo's etc.

well almost 2 years have passed now and i'm on my second system each one has lasted almost a year , first one longer if i recall . but on June 6th 2017 i'm heading abroad for FUE.

so i thought i'd get nostalgic about when i first came to this forum and ill share what it's been like and what i've learned.

Ok so there's no two ways about it , these things are essentially wigs ... albeit very good ones , so the first step is be realistic with yourself , don't hide anything and things will be a lot less stressful.

I ordered my first piece with Hair4all, the system quality is good i can't deny , they've lasted a long time so thumbs up , the fitting studio is in sale , Manchester. im not 100 percent sure whether they are still affiliated with Hair4all but the studio is exceptional regardless. i wont bring up any names but if your in need you know where the message button is. once the first system was ordered it took 3 months to arrive , then quite promptly i was booked in for my fitting , on the day quite nervous as you can expect it takes roughly 3 hours to be all done and dusted . i first opted for the medium length style combover hair do.

so my first system was poly based ( like a latex type material) and a lace front , which was fixed entirely with glue.

after say 4-5 months i'd switched to tape all around , you'll realise it really wont just fall off , using tape can save a lot of clean up time when you start taking it off yourself ... specifically i used walker ultra hold tape for the back and sides and walker lace tape for the front , if i ran out id just ghost bond the front down , i'd avoid the ghost bond supreme ? i think its called , comes in a white and green bottle not blue and white , this glue i found was crap , never held it on as good as the usual blue and white bottle.

styling wise , my advice ? don't use product , use water , what goes in must come out if i used say wax or gel the night before i must rythe around in my sleep because every day i woke up with a knotty mess which took about 20 mins of water and gentle combing to sort out , with water the shine tends to last slightly longer which will let you get a few more days of not washing it.

when washing it , i could get away with almost 2 weeks without , im not rank , but the water does get under the system and tends to leave it feeling mushy until it dries , if your almost at your 2 week interval the chances are its stinking a bit too which wont help.

the colour on these things does change , whether its sunlight or washing etc , you'll need a bottle of colour conditioner to hand , i had one bottle which lasted almost 1 year.

ill break it down now of pointers which i've learned and might help you , die hard wearers bare in mind its my experience , may not be for everybody.

1 . be realistic about costs , my studio was awesome because they are great people and arnt money driven , this being said , the costs can run away , and being in the position most young guys will be in you'll convince yourself you can afford it just to cure your unhappiness , sit down and really think about the costs which im going to break down for you .... my studio in particular didn't make me feel that way , but i can imagine a lot would prey on this fact at the end of the day its a wig .... like i told you before.

2. no matter what everybody says it's unlikely your system will stay on for 4 weeks .... the reason you'll want to hear this is because the recommended visit period is every 4 ..... but i've been in plenty of different lifestyle scenarios in the last 2 years and i can safely say not 1 of them allowed me to wear this for 4 weeks straight. my usual interval is two weeks ... by this i mean every 4 is my visit to the studio and every 2 is me taking it off myself , washing it , cleaning the base , taping it and re applying.

this is where i said be mindful of the costs , i was advised when i first had it that some people visit this place once a week , which is downright stupid , the cost per time will equate £180 per month alone , that's not factoring in any products , fuel money , or down payments on a new system.

3. the length of time the system lasts this again something you need to think about , i've heard friends who had been advised a new system every 6 weeks , which to me is absurd , going into this i told myself that if it lasts any less than 1 year i wont be doing it again , i got 14 months out of my first one if you did this and calculated rough costs , you'd have yourself FUE in about a year.

4. you need to clean it yourself ! , since i've had enough time to get used to it i've also got a knack of how to time things now , usually on the 4th week my own hair is too thick and needs cutting so im ok there , after a re fit i usually sort the front every 4-5 days , but if im careful and lazy i can push it to around two weeks , you really need to get comfortable taking it off and doing it yourself , trust me leaving it down to the studio won't help if an emergency comes about , usually i take it off when i have a day off work , i leave it off for a day , let my head breathe , then ill stick it back on the next morning ,

5. you can get a barber to help like i mentioned before making someone travel in once per week for a hair cut thats grown probably less than a gnats todger for £45 is somewhat tight , i was lucky before i had my system i had a barber who came to my house to give me a cut , once i got used to it he started coming around when i had it off , cut the back and sides and then i'd stick it down , never once had a problem.

6 . be wary of how much hair your trying to cover my system covers the top of my head in sort of a rectangle shape , i have really strong sides and they go quite high still , so my system covers a fair amount of good follicles if you will , what im saying is if its covering still quite a good growth area , it itches , and when you exercise it really itches. bare that in mind.

Final thoughts

so its about 8 weeks until i head off for FUE 2000 grafts ..... and to be fair , i've enjoyed having my system , its been part of me for the last 2 years and i'll be sad to see it go , so why a hair transplant ? , well in fairness it's good , but can i see myself wearing this for the rest of my life ? not really , if the studio ever closed down , or some other sort of act beyond my control i think i would just get rid , so realistically it's not a lifelong habit for me , the bad bits ? , it stinks sometimes , it itches , its expensive ....... but in fairness its also great it's helped me learn a lot about myself and has been an experience but its not a forever thing , i'm not 100% sure how this industry will evolve now , especially with those two bell ends who are plastering their system all over Facebook, its not a fashion accessory its someones self confidence , advertising is always good , but i think in this instance a little bit of subtlety is in order , you don't want everybody questioning now because you've got good hair and Facebook has educated them i hope this little memoir has helped you somewhat . i can answer any questions by PM , ill leave you with some facts and figures

New system and cut in = £575
Refit and cut = £45
Glue = £18 (roughly) - lasts me about 6 months
Tape = £9-32 - Lasts roughly 3 -6 months
Solvent = £9 (tip buy a lace release , when its empty get surgical spirit from ebay ... the bottle can be re filled )
Tongue depressors £ 1 - very handy
Colour conditioner - £20

Last edited:

Emu

Established Member
Reaction score
Great to hear exactly what happens to you once you leave the hair studio.Sounds like you have to be ready committed to the maintenance of the piece.

One year is a long life span for your piece.Did you have a thin density system?

Thanks for the detailed write up. Did you ever get busted wearing? I would be so worried about being outed in public or even friends talking behind my back.

A lot of cricket players Shane Warne and Ricky Ponting both wear and seem to be pulling off the look petty well,I was just never sure of the maintenance needed behind the scenes.

Say on average in one week how much maintenance and removal is needed? Thanks again for your insight.

Kinglewis121

Reaction score
Hi Dude. thanks for the reply i'll try answer everything in order.

Density wise .... i think if i remember rightly it was named as a light medium, still quite thick in my opinion but was right for my back and sides thickness. Longevity wise i think it was because i didn't take the piss with it .... but i also didn't spend every waking hour trying to take care of it either. and it seemed to last, it's actually not the hair that seemed to wear out on mine .. it was the base ... i know the end of my first one i could have probably wore it another 6 months but the base started ripping in the middle .. i actually wore it for about 3 months with splits in it ... just used tape to make sure it didn't get worse .... you couldn't ever tell maybe it's something to do with sweat breaking down the poly but i don't know just seemed to happen.

you really do need to commit to learning this art and its maintenance .... you can't leave it down to chance with your monthly studio visit .. you'll need to learn it yourself .. this is why i think these people trying to push it down the fashion accessory route as we speak will fail it takes a certain type of person to persist with one of these .... chances are if you've got one .... you spent a long time searching the internet about hair loss treatments before you heard about it ... seeing it plastered all over social media to attract geordie shore types won't work ... when they find out you actually have to take care of it and spend a bit of time here and there i think most won't commit .

in all honesty no i didn't get busted once ..... after about 8 months i started admitting wearing it to loads of people it didn't bother me anymore because i was convinced it didn't look stupid ... im fairly good at reading people are their reactions of surprise when i told them the truth didn't ever feel faked. most never believed me until i let them feel where it was joined. I've never caught anyone staring at it and nobody has ever said .... maybe people did notice .... but ill never know i guess.

sport wise i can totally see it being feasible ... i boxed with it on ... but due to its length i always had a sweatband on my forehead to keep it going unwieldy , it never came off ..... just made it smell a bit more at times. but i'd struggle to see how cricket players would manage it especially internationals , spending a lot of time travelling and constantly around team mates having to do a re stick at inappropriate times in the middle of Australia would probably piss me off .... but it's doable.

maintenance wise .... i could probably get about 2 weeks out of it without doing a thing .... just comb it and stuff ... lace tape on the front lasts longer than glue ... but it's more of a pain to get off whilst leaving the rest of your piece on because the back and sides tape doesn't break down as quick ... if you use glue for the hairline its easier but you'd maybe be sticking it down every 3-4 days ... but in fairness probably took me about 20 minutes each time .. other than that ... i did one re stick myself every 2 weeks, all i can say is the shorter you have this thing the harder it is to match up again ... my first piece was fairly short and was sometimes a nightmare re sticking it to find out it wasn't straight and having to rip it off again fresh tape .... i've never felt pain like it .... my second one was a lot longer .. like a slick back look so if i was a few mm off when re sticking you wouldn't notice.

Finequasar

Reaction score
Ok so there's no two ways about it , these things are essentially wigs ... albeit very good ones , so the first step is be realistic with yourself , don't hide anything and things will be a lot less stressful.
What do you mean by dont hide anything?

Kinglewis121

Reaction score
i sort of mean don't hide anything from your close friends and family .... especially a partner ... i know many who tried to and ended up having a nervous breakdown because hiding the fact consumed them that much they were worse than when they had no hair ... if that makes sense . if your open about it to people your close with .... it makes it less stressful. Good enough?

Crunch

Reaction score
Hi,
Where's you hair transplant booked and what Norwood pattern are you? Seems like a small no. of grafts for someone bald enough to wear a system.
Thanks