Going Bald At 21 Years Old, How Can I Improve My Treatment?

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new user here.

I started noticing my hair thinning in November 2017. It is mainly occurring at the crown but slowly thinning on other parts of my scalp as well. I haven't noticed any hairline recession (as of now).

I went to see a dermatologist that recommended Rogaine and wrote a prescription for Propecia. I started using Rogaine on January 5th, 2018. I looked into Propecia, but the side effects scared me away since I would be dealing with them at such an early age...so I ended up not even picking up my prescription.

Since January, this is has been my routine:
  • Rogaine twice a day - started 6 months ago
  • Biotin supplement once a day - started 6 months ago
  • Hair Surge shampoo 4/5 days a week - started 2 weeks ago
While I haven't noticed any regrowth, I think my routine has at least slowed down the thinning a bit.
I think I am going to switch from Hair Surge to Nizoral after I finish this bottle since it seems to be more popular and MUCH LESS expensive.
I don't feel comfortable with taking Propecia, but I recently read up on the S5 cream and am intrigued by it.

My questions:

• How many days per week should I use Nizoral A-D when I switch to it from Hair Surge?
  • Is the S5 cream a good anti-androgen cream to use? Do you recommend it?
  • What other treatments do you recommend I add to my regimen, if any?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new user here.

I started noticing my hair thinning in November 2017. It is mainly occurring at the crown but slowly thinning on other parts of my scalp as well. I haven't noticed any hairline recession (as of now).

I went to see a dermatologist that recommended Rogaine and wrote a prescription for Propecia. I started using Rogaine on January 5th, 2018. I looked into Propecia, but the side effects scared me away since I would be dealing with them at such an early age...so I ended up not even picking up my prescription.

Since January, this is has been my routine:
  • Rogaine twice a day - started 6 months ago
  • Biotin supplement once a day - started 6 months ago
  • Hair Surge shampoo 4/5 days a week - started 2 weeks ago
While I haven't noticed any regrowth, I think my routine has at least slowed down the thinning a bit.
I think I am going to switch from Hair Surge to Nizoral after I finish this bottle since it seems to be more popular and MUCH LESS expensive.
I don't feel comfortable with taking Propecia, but I recently read up on the S5 cream and am intrigued by it.

My questions:

• How many days per week should I use Nizoral A-D when I switch to it from Hair Surge?
  • Is the S5 cream a good anti-androgen cream to use? Do you recommend it?
  • What other treatments do you recommend I add to my regimen, if any?
Why don’t you talk to your doctor about the fears you have related to the drugs s/he prescribed for you?

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don’t you talk to your doctor about the fears you have related to the drugs s/he prescribed for you?

We spoke about it, but after leaving the office is when I started having my worries about the side effects

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure battling hairloss without an anti-androgen is a lost battle. I think many agree.
How about taking the meds, and quitting if you experience any sides?

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure battling hairloss without an anti-androgen is a lost battle. I think many agree.
How about taking the meds, and quitting if you experience any sides?

do you know of any topical anti-androgens? Finasteride's side effects are worrisome since I am balding at such a young age, especially with some people having the side effects even after stopping usage of the medicine

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
do you know of any topical anti-androgens? Finasteride's side effects are worrisome since I am balding at such a young age, especially with some people having the side effects even after stopping usage of the medicine

What's your age? I think you should just take the pill and you have like a 95% of not getting sides.
I doubt sides are irreversible btw. Most people with irreversible sides have like 50 other issues.

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's your age? I think you should just take the pill and you have like a 95% of not getting sides.
I doubt sides are irreversible btw. Most people with irreversible sides have like 50 other issues.

I'm currently 22. I think I am going to go get a 6-month follow-up appointment with a dermatologist before the end of July and see if I can get put on a low-dose pill (maybe 0.5mg finasteride?).

Last edited:

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
Please post pictures of your hair.

https://imgur.com/fK39GQx
https://imgur.com/gepUhGA
https://imgur.com/e7mRM5r
https://imgur.com/MRrxcEI
https://imgur.com/CCebfaC
https://imgur.com/HWnIRv0
https://imgur.com/O999HRW
https://imgur.com/wdVxpY7
https://imgur.com/YyPIhgm

I've included about 9 pictures here. In the pictures of my scalp, my hair was completely dry and I parted the hair down the midline. In my opinion, my hairline hasn't changed much since my hair started thinning on my scalp. The small hairs right at the beginning of the hairline may just be hair that is growing back after my hair cut a few weeks ago (and I shaved my widow's peak a few days ago).
I started to notice the thinning hair in November 2017

I have spent the last few days thinking about maybe getting on finasteride but maybe a lower dosage.

Last edited:

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm currently 22. I think I am going to go get a 6-month follow-up appointment with a dermatologist before the end of July and see if I can get put on a low-dose pill (maybe 0.5mg finasteride?).
Meh, I'm 18 and I'm starting finasteride in like a few days lol. I think you'll be fine if you're done with puberty but yeah speak with your dermatologist before you do anything imo.

I saw your pictures, I think your hair loss is extremely severe. I think you should jump on finasteride as fast as possible

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh, I'm 18 and I'm starting finasteride in like a few days lol. I think you'll be fine if you're done with puberty but yeah speak with your dermatologist before you do anything imo.

I saw your pictures, I think your hair loss is extremely severe. I think you should jump on finasteride as fast as possible

would you mind taking a look at the pictures I included in the post above yours and giving an opinion? I also don't know where I would be considered on the Norwood scale

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
would you mind taking a look at the pictures I included in the post above yours and giving an opinion? I also don't know where I would be considered on the Norwood scale

Probably 3 vertex maybe heading to 4. You need to be on propecia if you want to save your hair

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth but after reading up some more on Propecia, I think I'm just going to add Nizoral to my routine and hope I can at least slow down the thinning.
I keep hearing that Propecia also causes "brain fog" in some users, and I am starting dental school in less than a month and can't risk losing my focus, memory, sleep, etc. in such a high-stress environment like that...on top of the sexual risks

Another way I'm looking at it: the faster the hair falls out, the faster I can get a hair transplant ;)

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth but after reading up some more on Propecia, I think I'm just going to add Nizoral to my routine and hope I can at least slow down the thinning.
I keep hearing that Propecia also causes "brain fog" in some users, and I am starting dental school in less than a month and can't risk losing my focus, memory, sleep, etc. in such a high-stress environment like that...on top of the sexual risks

Another way I'm looking at it: the faster the hair falls out, the faster I can get a hair transplant ;)

A hair transplant doesn’t really work when you are slick bald nw7. If you have a good donor area you can get a low density transplant and get by using concealers or you could go the body hair transplant route. Without an effective stabilizing medication you will be bald simple as that, transplant isn’t really an alternative. Smp would be.

I get the brain fog fear as well, I’m in medicine. You could always try ru, cb, seti and see how it goes. Nizoral won’t do jack

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, im 21 years old and balding. I can tell you this for sure, if you do not get on finasteride, with how advanced your hairloss is at our age you will definitely be bald by 25. I fooled myself too for a while using rogaine and other natural remedies but they are not enough for cases like ours.

I made a post about my progress on finasteride here. Basically I started finasteride 3 weeks ago. First few days I had loss of libido and erectile dysfunction but I was also extremely stressed at this time for other reasons. My semen became very watery. On the second week my libido and boners came back to normal. The soreness on my scalp also went away. I am still losing hairs but my dick is back to normal. The only other thing is that my semen is still watery but has not reduced in volume.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Your Realistic options are getting on finasteride or just throwing in the towel... really no other options, I’ve seen friends avoid finasteride and go bald within 3-4 years. Why don’t you try .5mgnpropecia every other day, I really doubt you’ll get sides with that dose man and at least you’re doing SOMETHINNGGG

baldin20s

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your Realistic options are getting on finasteride or just throwing in the towel... really no other options, I’ve seen friends avoid finasteride and go bald within 3-4 years. Why don’t you try .5mgnpropecia every other day, I really doubt you’ll get sides with that dose man and at least you’re doing SOMETHINNGGG

Hey man, im 21 years old and balding. I can tell you this for sure, if you do not get on finasteride, with how advanced your hairloss is at our age you will definitely be bald by 25. I fooled myself too for a while using rogaine and other natural remedies but they are not enough for cases like ours.

I made a post about my progress on finasteride here. Basically I started finasteride 3 weeks ago. First few days I had loss of libido and erectile dysfunction but I was also extremely stressed at this time for other reasons. My semen became very watery. On the second week my libido and boners came back to normal. The soreness on my scalp also went away. I am still losing hairs but my dick is back to normal. The only other thing is that my semen is still watery but has not reduced in volume.

thanks for the responses. I'm going to Vegas for 5 days so I won't be able to meet with a dermatologist for a week or two. I will meet and see if I can get on a very low dosage, so that I am at least trying something