GNC mulitvit.. without iron... ?

jeffsss

Reaction score
I must have picked up the wrong vitimins. I usually get mega man

how big of a role could iron play in maintiaing hair?

Jacob

Reaction score
jumpedthegun..why do you say that?

Men especially should be careful about taking too much iron.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
do a google search and you'll see that a deficiency in iron is consistently cited as a cause of hairloss.

but you're right, too much iron is poisonous. but, it is very difficult to overdose on iron from natural foodsources. in fact, it is very difficult to get the needed amounts of iron from natural foodsources, especially if you exercise/work out regularly. take a look at your labels and you'll see most foods are severely lacking in the mineral. unless you are eating a consistent diet of RED meat and liver, you are probably deficient in iron to some degree. HOWEVER, I don't recommend rushing out to your drugstore to buy iron supplements. those are made for people with problems absorbing iron and it is best to see a doctor to see if you have such a deficiency. at the same time, i do think it is wise to make sure that your everyday vitamin includes iron.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
" in fact, it is very difficult to get the needed amounts of iron from natural foodsources, especially if you exercise/work out regularly. "

That is news to me. I get more than my needed daily amount of iron all from plant sources.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
well, if you are food conscious and eat healthy then getting enough iron from your diet is perfectly achieveable, but I would posit that most peoples' diets are pretty lacking.

plant sources can be a great source of iron, but most people eat even fewer vegetables and grains than they do meat. it also might be news to you that plant sources can be deceptively low in iron. although they are high in iron on paper, they provide only non-heme iron, which is not easily absorbed by the body. while you think you are getting the required 10-20 mg of iron, only 5 mg of that might actually be absorbed. The absorption of non-heme iron can be greatly improved by taking vitamin C at the same time.

of the meat sources, only red meat provides good amounts of iron/serving. the meats that are more often consumed by heath conscious persons, chicken, fish, turkey, and pork, all provide less than 1mg/3oz serving.

i am in no way saying that low iron is the cause of anyone's hairloss. i'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to make sure your multi-vitamin contains iron, for the health of both your hair and yourself.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I watch what I eat very closely since I do not eat meat. It is very easy for a veggie eater to become deficient in certain vitamins and minerals.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Sublime,
are all the supplements in your regime oriented towards hairloss reversal, or are they for your vegetarian lifestyle? I was just wondering.

How is your regime working out so far? I see you're on Propecia.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
from...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_liv ... rals.shtml

"Iron
Uses in the body: carries oxygen around the body, important for hair health, needed for metabolism of B vitamins, calcium and copper, boosts immune function.

Signs of deficiency: anaemia, brittle nails, tiredness, muscle ache, headache, faintness, hair loss, digestive problems often linked to low levels of stomach acid.

Therapeutic uses: fatigue and weakness, PMS, hair loss, poor nails. Important for breastfeeding women, vegans and vegetarians (iron from plant sources isn't always absorbed easily) and coffee drinkers (caffeine severely affects iron absorption if taken within an hour of eating).

Dietary sources: blackstrap molasses, cocoa, wholegrains, liver, kidney, egg yolk, shellfish, nuts, soya produce, dark green vegetables, dried fruit.

Dosage:
Recommended daily allowance: 14 mg
Typical therapeutic daily dose: 14mg to 50mg (in the long term, doses of around 15mg are best; in the short term, higher doses may be given under supervision)
Daily intake shouldn't normally exceed: 15mg

Cautions: doses above 50mg can cause stomach upset, constipation and blackened stools. Not suitable for people with iron absorption problems (haemochromatosis) and certain types of cancer. Seek professional advice from a practitioner.

Best taken: with vitamin C, to aid absorption and prevent constipation, and at least one hour before coffee consumption. Don't take with other minerals, especially zinc, which affect absorption. Liquid iron formulas are often best absorbed by people with weak digestion."

(Emphasis added).

Aplunk1

Reaction score
For hairloss, not male-pattern baldness.

There's a difference.

Although, it's still good for overall hair health.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
no, you're perfectly right. i just posted it because everyone here is looking for supplements for their hair, and iron seems to be one of the only ones directly linked to hair health.

though, if you have male pattern baldness, you certaintly don't want even more hair fall to out from iron deficiency. plus, i guess there's always the possibility that someone here is losing hair from iron deficiency, and not male pattern baldness. of course, isn't that the dream of everyone here, that their male pattern baldness is not male pattern baldness at all, but something as simple and correctable as iron deficiency?