GM Foods- what's your opinion on their safety

HughJass

Reaction score
I know sweet FA about the issues surrounding GM foods. They seem to hold a whole heap of promise in terms of reducing the environmental impact our current agricultural methods have as well as the nutritional benefits they would provide . Some say it's all good- they've been used for a decade or so in the US with no real problems for consumers, others say there isn't anywhere near enough research to determine long term safety. They've lifted the ban on GM crops in my state recently and I'm concerned that I might develop extra fingers and start glowing in the dark...

What are your opinions, which will hopefully be more informed than mine.

The Gardener

Reaction score
After seeing a documentary on the plight of Mexican corn farmers, I don't like them.

There are a few specific issues I have with GMOs. First off, one of the most common forms of genetic manipulation is to genetically modify crop seeds so that they are resistant to herbicides. An example of this is Monsanto's infamous "Roundup Ready" soy and corn. The idea is that by making the crop resistant to the herbicide, pesticides can be sprayed with impunity... and although all other plants will die, the main crop will live. This is great for large scale farming, just plant your seeds, water, and spray with pesticides. The problem is that this leads to weeds that start to develop a resistance to the herbicide, and thus greater and greater amounts of pesticide get sprayed onto our foods.

Another problem are "Bt" crops that have been genetically modified to produce a toxin that kills known parasites. Not sure if there is any documentation on the effects in humans, but this has created some unintended problems with overall ecology. In addition to killing the pests, there has been some concern that non-pest pollinator insects have also been adversely affected by the toxin. Another tangent of this is that the pest-killing features of the Bt crops change the mix of insects in a field. By killing the "pest" insects, the relative ecological balance is disrupted... there are other insects whose populations might increase or decrease as a result of a missing component in the natural ecosystem. None of this might seem striking if these GMO fields were isolated plots of land... but, not only are GMOs being used quite readily all across many countries, we are now realizing that its next to impossible to halt the spread of GMO pollens from entering surrounding non-GMO ecosystems. We may end up with GMO elements weaving their way into ALL plant life... at which point these minor sounding issues can develop into full blown ecological crises, where entire species of insects may go extinct.... and as we all know, nature is interrelated, and playing games with large scale ecosystems that encompass most all of our arable farmland might have disastrous and irreversible consequences.

Another problem I have with them is that the entire GMO industry is migrating to one where the intellectual property component of their genetic code will be maximized for profit. There are dark rumors that GMO seed could potentially be manipulated so that it ONLY grows and produces food yield if a proprietary kind of fertilizer is used. In other words, if you want the benefits of the high yielding and profit maximizing seed from GMO company A, you also need to buy the fertilizer from GMO company A... or else the plants are programmed never to bear fruit, as an example. This may seem trivial, but if the purchased seed gets cross-pollinated with indigenous seed stock, you could create a situation where ALL of the seeds require the proprietary fertilizer.... and by not buying the Company A seed and Company A fertilizer, you might not just be forgoing the higher yields that Company A seeds provide, you might be putting yourself in a situation where you will get NO YIELD unless you use the Company A seeds. This could put vast swathes of the world's farmers at the mercy of Big GMO Agrobusiness for their daily livelihoods... when, in past days, they could just have maintained their own seed stock. Fear of this is part of what drove the creation of the Doomsday Seed Vault.

So... there are a lot of unknowns about GMOs. And, its not necessarily the effect on humans from eating them, but, I don't think the long term effects of inserting human manipulated genetic material into plant life that can spread uncontrollably all throughout the world have been thought out very well.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i don't care if food has GM in it or not, the same with organic, i would like to say i am the kinda person who has faith in science
i mean food prices went up because of bad harvests and that would simply not be a problem if people didn't run away from GM
there are people who are drenched in self righteousness who complain about GM in a world where so few people get adequate nutrition sometimes due go crap governments but also due to bad access to arid land, also a problem that GM could solve
and as far as the ecological argument goes i wouldn't care if the whole world got half covered in city and half covered in highly optimised farm land so i wouldn't be the best one to ask

ali777

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
The problem is that this leads to weeds that start to develop a resistance to the herbicide, and thus greater and greater amounts of pesticide get sprayed onto our foods.

A perfect example for Darwin's natural selection... Most people either don't understand the principle of natural selection, or they pretend it doesn't exist...

On the original subject... I don't really pay much attention to GM, it's just one of those things that is in our food chain and part of our everyday lives.

The thing is, GM is much more wide spread than some people realise. It's in the cotton that produces our clothes, it's in the soy that is used as protein substitute by food manufacturers, it's in the oil that we cook with, etc...

Accidentally or intentionally, the humans have been producing stronger plants through cross pollination, selective breeding, etc for at least 10,000 years. I'm aware that GM is more than cross pollination, but I view it as accelerated and selective cross pollination. Genes that may end up being transferred between different plants get transferred in a lab environment in no time, it's just quicker... Ie, humans are the divine power in the intelligent design of plants :whistle:

Petchsky

Reaction score
I'm against it, as I don't think it's safe and I don't trust bio tech companies one bit. They don't give a toss about feeding the poor, they care about feeding their wallets.

There could be a future for it if the world wasn't run for profit at all costs.

Anyone remember the farmer suicides in India? Millions of them over the last decade thanks to Monsanto selling them their GM seeds at inflated prices, which failed to grow properly for some, on top of this they told the farmers they can not collect the seeds afterwards to reuse them, then they had to buy more seeds from Monsanto. I've read that the farmers kill themselves by drinking Monsanto pesticide, which is symbolic since Monsanto is the reason they killed themselves.

http://www.paulkingsnorth.net/monsanto.html

This is a great article on it and monsanto.

Needless to say the Western media have given plenty of reasons for farmer suicides without ever even mentioning Monsanto's name, that's how powerful they are, not forgetting their CEO's comment: No food must be grown that we don't own!

HughJass

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Needless to say the Western media have given plenty of reasons for farmer suicides without ever even mentioning Monsanto's name, that's how powerful they are, not forgetting their CEO's comment: No food must be grown that we don't own!

I remember seeing those reports from the beeb maybe a year or more ago.

Absolutely no mention whatsoever that Monsanto was involved.

Looks like they are a seriously ruthless company.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not only about the safety of the food itself but about the fact that it will drive the small farmer who cannot afford the technology out of business.

I am not a supporter of English monarchy but on this I'm 100% behind Prince Charles:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e ... 520568.ece

The Prince of Wales has warned the development of genetically modified crops risked creating “the biggest disaster environmentally of all timeâ€￾.

In a passionate intervention on the issue of GM food, Prince Charles accused multi-national corporations of conducting an experiment with nature which had gone “seriously wrongâ€￾.

“What we should be talking about is food security not food production - that is what matters and that is what people will not understand," he said.

“And if they think also that somehow it’s all going to work because they are going to have one form of clever genetic engineering after another then again count me out, because that will be guaranteed to cause the biggest disaster environmentally of all time.â€￾

Cassin

Reaction score
askas said:
Mice stop breeding in the 3-rd generation if they eat GM food. So we can expect something similar with humans, i.e. children of current children may not breed further. I don't care much about them though. I heard that GM food can cause nutrition problems and slowly but steadily lead so such diseases as pancreatitis, hapatitis and other disorders. As far as all GM trials were stopped for some reasons, I believe GM food is dangerous.
Also GM food has one problem: if we had an apple that used the number of useful microelements from soil, now we have 20 GM apples which still use the same amount of useful microelements but for 20 apples instead of 1. So all those potatoes and and tomatoes have less value for humans as vegetation.
Epidemics of hepatitis and similar diseases can be quite linked to GM food.

Children of Men