Giving up

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you deal with giving up on "treating" hairloss? I know finasteride doesn't help, and there's no evidence for any of the non-mainstream "treatments". I don't trust the Telogen Effluvium diagnosis I got from a dermatologist. It's a lost cause, my hair got too thin and receded before I started really. I don't know what to do.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would guess you will have to accept it, move on and not care any more. Plenty of guys have done that and will continue to do that.

It is a mental barrier for all of us to accept and move on.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Kirby, as you know my situation is similar to yours, and my main goal as of now is to try to keep as much hair as I can until new treatments come along. I figure the better your hair is, the better the results will be in the future, so even if a treatment isn't giving us the reuslts we were hoping for, the chance that it is helping us to not become much worse is a risk I'm willing to take. Like you, my hair started looking worse when I started finasteride, but the odds of the drug causing me to lose hair is far fetched, so I'll continue to use it in hopes of maintaining, or who knows maybe I'll get an unexpected surprise down the line and just find out that I was a late responder.

From what I remember you still have a good amount of hair, so maybe you should try some concealers or something else, to help you to get by until something better comes out. Histogen will hopefully be released in Asia in 2015, and I'm pretty sure that there are a few other treatments that will be on the market within that time-frame. Taking finasteride is easy, not like some of the others crazy hair loss routines I have read about, so for me it's a no brianer. As long as I'm doing something, what else is there that I can do?

All that we can do is wait, and since there are some promising looking treatments coming soon it will likely stir up some competition from others, because as we know, hair loss is a billion dollar industry.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All that we can do is wait, and since there are some promising looking treatments coming soon it will likely stir up some competition from others, because as we know, hair loss is a billion dollar industry.

Sadly that also make the big ones who roam now to buy out the competition so lots of helpfull stuff dont reach the market. One example is RU58841 if i remember right...

Also, FDA trials are expensive

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
are you sure finasteride isn't working? how long have you been on it?

why don't you trust the diagnosis?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
are you sure finasteride isn't working? how long have you been on it?

why don't you trust the diagnosis?
A year and two weeks.

I can't have Telogen Effluvium, it doesn't make sense. I know I had my head checked with a scope, but that doesn't explain why the 'finasteride shed' hasn't reversed. And I was thin to start with, thinner than I realised or let myself believe. (The doctor did say I have male pattern baldness, but said he only saw miniaturising hair at the edge of the temples). Been getting panic attacks again about how thin my hair is on top. Ran out of a supermarket earlier when i caught a reflection of my hair, I just can't elad a normal life any more.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
unless you're getting bad sides with finasteride, I'd stick with it - it can take at least a year to start working. If you stop, you may find your hairloss speeds up

Do you use minoxidil?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I don't use it, my girlfriend won't let me use it because of the complicated use and mess and side effects. I never wanted to touch it either. What happens if I use it somehow and I get good results for while but finasteride still doesn't do anything? I haven't had anything in over a year from finasteride, only loss in density which I can't believe is Telogen Effluvium due to stress, it would have regarded by now. I shed all September and October too.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm horrified by the disgusting thin old man hair I have, I feel physically sick and revolted looking at myself, have to cover up or remove all mirrors at home. :(

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are you using for shampoo? If you are using Nizoral, it might account for your thinning. Some people have great success with it and some people's scalps are too sensitive for it. I stopped Nizoral several months ago and my hair thickened significantly after three or four months. In fact, I have stopped washing my hair altogether with shampoo. I may use a conditioner to wash my hair once a week, if that. I also may just massage my hair while it is wet once a week without shampoo and conditioner, just water, but generally, I keep my hair dry in the shower. I have been doing well with dutasteride once a day, Rogaine foam in the morning and minoxidil liquid (3 or 4 milliliters to my scalp while it is damp at night. I also put baby powder on my head to make it look even thicker in the morning. If these things aren't working, I don't know what to tell you. I guess just shave it. I'm really sorry that these treatment are not working for you. It sucks, I know.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
unless you're getting bad sides with finasteride, I'd stick with it - it can take at least a year to start working. If you stop, you may find your hairloss speeds up

Do you use minoxidil?

+1

- - - Updated - - -

How about dutasteride once a week in addition?

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
You don't use Rogaine/minoxidil because of side effects? What side effects? Unless you used it before and actually had some allergic reaction or something, its like, one of the safest and easiest things you can use thats actually proven to help regrow hair. Easy on, easy off, inexpensive, and supposedly good to use with finasteride together.

I'm curious why you think otherwise?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
+1

- - - Updated - - -

How about dutasteride once a week in addition?
Asked about that from the dermatologist, he said using dutasteride right now (well, in November) was a bad idea, and he couldn't advise using so I left without a dutasteride prescription. He did diagnose Telogen Effluvium due to stress and anxiety as the main cause of my diffuse loss, incidentally.

Might try All the Above's suggestion and knock Nizoral on the head for a bit to see if that helps. The doctor didn't sound impressed when I told him that I used nizoral, to be honest.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
Took 18 months to even notice anything with finasteride. It's a slow process, just like balding itself is a slow process. Just take the pill, shave your head and grow it out at the 2 year mark and see what's up.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Took 18 months to even notice anything with finasteride. It's a slow process, just like balding itself is a slow process. Just take the pill, shave your head and grow it out at the 2 year mark and see what's up.
Yes!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
A year and two weeks.

I can't have Telogen Effluvium, it doesn't make sense. I know I had my head checked with a scope, but that doesn't explain why the 'finasteride shed' hasn't reversed. And I was thin to start with, thinner than I realised or let myself believe. (The doctor did say I have male pattern baldness, but said he only saw miniaturising hair at the edge of the temples). Been getting panic attacks again about how thin my hair is on top. Ran out of a supermarket earlier when i caught a reflection of my hair, I just can't elad a normal life any more.

Agree. It took about 14 months before I saw noticeable changes. I still shed to this day, but I'm also holding steady at where I was...which is still a success, if you ask me.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel, Buddy. Every time I get a glimpse of my scalp through my hair in bright light I get a sick feeling in my stomach and pretty much can't think about anything else. It's really hard to concentrate on work, etc, when you're worrying about whether it has/is become thinner.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
you need to get to the doctor to deal with your stress and anxiety first. It'a a vicious circle

what does your GF say about your hairloss?

resu

Reaction score
Surprised finasteride had no impact on your hair loss, it's usually a magic bullet for diffuse thinners when caught early on.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
his hairloss was diagnosed as Telogen Effluvium, so finasteride wouldn't help there.

and isn't Telogen Effluvium often caused by stress\anxiety?