girls experience of guys with shaved/buzzed heads

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, first post in this part of the forum, usually in the mens general bit. sorry if im intruding on this bit just have a few questions i couldnt find after searching on the mens section.

im really young (just 18) and have diffuse thinning pretty bad. i cant cover all my scalp when hair is flat and have to highlight tips of my hair to cover as much as poss. hair is generally thin.

started propecia 3 weeks ago. not sure if itll work for me bcos, even though most of my loss occurred in the last 3-4 months, if its aggressive ive heard its pretty much impossible to stop..?

neway better get to the point. i was thinking of buzzing my head on a really low number, in the hope of concealing the thinning. how do diffuse guys look with real low buzzcuts in ur opinion? and how low does the buzz cut have to b to cover it when thinning has occurred quite a bit.

thanks a lot, ur help would really b appreciated! :)

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Hi Youngguy_uk,

First off, thanks for asking our opinion, as I'm sure we're all happy to volunteer it! Sorry you're experiencing such a rapid shed so young. :(

As for diffuse thinning and close cropped cuts, I think that if you get fairly close, like hair of 2 cm or so, your diffuse thinning will disappear. I think you'll find that only people with hairloss scrutinize thinning hair. I've lost 70% of my hair in the last year and I still have a hard time convincing people (not that I want to!).

Cheers,

-maya

G

youngguy_uk said:
neway better get to the point. i was thinking of buzzing my head on a really low number, in the hope of concealing the thinning. how do diffuse guys look with real low buzzcuts in ur opinion? and how low does the buzz cut have to b to cover it when thinning has occurred quite a bit.

thanks a lot, ur help would really b appreciated! :)

Before any of us answer this Youngguy, tell me. How do you feel about women losing their hair?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
mayalopecia said:
Hi Youngguy_uk,

First off, thanks for asking our opinion, as I'm sure we're all happy to volunteer it! Sorry you're experiencing such a rapid shed so young. :(

As for diffuse thinning and close cropped cuts, I think that if you get fairly close, like hair of 2 cm or so, your diffuse thinning will disappear. I think you'll find that only people with hairloss scrutinize thinning hair. I've lost 70% of my hair in the last year and I still have a hard time convincing people (not that I want to!).

Cheers,

-maya

wow thanks for the quick replies :) im pretty sure 2cm is too long to disguise my thinning. its quite bad. not really bad as u might imagine a 40 year old having wisps over his head but when my hair doesnt have highlights in u can c about 10% of scalp from above when its combed down - little gaps through the thinning. on the other hand now ive just had my highlights on the tips when my hairs flat its not v noticeable. im grateful at least for this.

when i get to shaving my head im thinking number 2, 1 or even 0 guard. i shaved my head at a number 3 when i was 16 and only had a tiiny bit of thinning, and it looked quite good. but now im quite progressed il have to go shorter i think. i at least want some stubble on top though.

Guest said:
Before any of us answer this Youngguy, tell me. How do you feel about women losing their hair?

to b honest i didnt even know female hairloss existed until i started thinning. thats when i read up about all types of hairloss. i didnt even realise that a norwood 1 or 2 was part of a progression towards further male pattern baldness.

when i read up a bit more i realised my mum had somewhat thinning hair, which she told me. shes in her early 50s and still looks good..it can compliment a more mature looking woman i think bcos big puffy hair on middle aged women can look a bit weird and false i think. same is with my gran. quite a lot of her scalp was showing through but on a woman of her age it just looked fine, probably more normal than thick full hair.

as for younger women to b honest ive never really noticed thinning with them. maybe ive just not been looking. but in fairness if a girl my age had similar type hair as my mum i think she could b just as attractive if i found her attractive in other ways e.g. pretty etc. id say women dont really need a thick bush of hair on their heads as long as they take care of what they have and take care of themselves e.g. keep fit. i find this more of a demand as a guy too, i.e. i feel it more necessary to try and start working out more etc. if im thinning.

G

youngguy_uk said:
as for younger women to b honest ive never really noticed thinning with them. maybe ive just not been looking. but in fairness if a girl my age had similar type hair as my mum i think she could b just as attractive if i found her attractive in other ways e.g. pretty etc. id say women dont really need a thick bush of hair on their heads as long as they take care of what they have and take care of themselves e.g. keep fit. i find this more of a demand as a guy too, i.e. i feel it more necessary to try and start working out more etc. if im thinning.

Hmmmmmn, room for improvement. Ok, so you're not totally repulsed by women with minimal hair loss. That's good. Definite improvement on some of your mates over in the men's forum. But let's say its more than just minimal hair loss. Lets say its moderate to severe. What then, young one? :shock:

As regards the buzz cut, well, its not my favourite look. However, a close shaved head still looks a damn sight better on a balding guy (of whatever age) than a badly fitted toupee or the twenty-hair combover the balding dome. If I were you, I'd definitely go for the crew cut over either of these options. Hopefully, the potions will work for you and this won't be an option for many years.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Humpty said:
youngguy_uk said:

Hmmmmmn, room for improvement. Ok, so you're not totally repulsed by women with minimal hair loss. That's good. Definite improvement on some of your mates over in the men's forum. But let's say its more than just minimal hair loss. Lets say its moderate to severe. What then, young one? :shock:

As regards the buzz cut, well, its not my favourite look. However, a close shaved head still looks a damn sight better on a balding guy (of whatever age) than a badly fitted toupee or the twenty-hair combover the balding dome. If I were you, I'd definitely go for the crew cut over either of these options. Hopefully, the potions will work for you and this won't be an option for many years.

thanks for the reply. i guess theres room for improvement like u say but im not at all repulsed by women with minimal loss. ive never really known ne younger women with moderate to severe loss so im kindof speculating with regards to if id find them attractive or not, but if u sent me pics id then tell u if u wanted. id rather give u my honest opinion than suck up about something i dont really know about.

i promise il not go for the 20 hair combover! im not near this stage yet but its pretty bad for my age on top, can only really wear it flat and with highlights. just wondering at what stage to buzz so it (hopefully) will look a bit better on someone my age. i hope my propecia will work but i just dont know with this aggressive thinning.

neway as for the whole women thinning thing or ne kindof appearance related thing, i think losing ur hair or some experience like this makes people a lot more accepting. maybe at least thats a plus that can b gained from going through it all.

mayalopecia

Reaction score
neway as for the whole women thinning thing or ne kindof appearance related thing, i think losing ur hair or some experience like this makes people a lot more accepting. maybe at least thats a plus that can b gained from going through it all.

Good answer youngguy_uk. There's hope for you yet. :lol:

I have reconsidered, and decided you're right, 2cm may be too long. That would be almost an inch! (I think in inches, being American, so sorry). I hereby revise my estimate to 1cm.

I know very little of what these guards on clippers correspond to, but don't shave yourself bald until you have to. Save that for next summer when the heat gets ridiculous again. :jumpy:

-maya

G

youngguy_uk said:
thanks for the reply. i guess theres room for improvement like u say but im not at all repulsed by women with minimal loss. ive never really known ne younger women with moderate to severe loss so im kindof speculating with regards to if id find them attractive or not, but if u sent me pics id then tell u if u wanted. id rather give u my honest opinion than suck up about something i dont really know about.

Lol. No, you're all right. :D I was just trying to gauge whether you'd reject a balding woman out of hand on account of her hair loss. This isn't something that can be properly gauged from photos.

youngguy_uk said:
i promise il not go for the 20 hair combover! im not near this stage yet but its pretty bad for my age on top, can only really wear it flat and with highlights. just wondering at what stage to buzz so it (hopefully) will look a bit better on someone my age. i hope my pro"pecia will work but i just dont know with this aggressive thinning.

Are you taking minoxidil at the moment? My understanding is that propecia gets the job done as far as maintenance goes, but if you're looking for regrowth, then minoxidil is where the party's at. As regards the crew cut, I imagine that would look better on someone your age. Unless your hair loss is glaringly extensive, people aren't going to think you've shaved your head to disguise baldness. They'll more likely take it at face value.

youngguy_uk said:

Not if the men's forum is anything to go by, I'm afraid. :?

Anita

Reaction score
Hi Youngguy--

I've had some recent experience with this, so maybe I can try to help...
My husband has had male pattern baldness since his 20s (he's 30 now)-- his hairline is receding and there's a growing thin spot on the top of his head. Last month he and his buddies decided to buzz their heads as part of a prank on one of their profs-- and it looked GREAT! I believe he used a 2 on that shaving thing (you know what I'm talking about). You could hardly tell the hair was thin on him. Yesterday he just re-did it-- a 3 this time. Still looks great. My point is that if the buzz disguised a bald spot on the top of his head, I think it would most definitely work for overall thinning hair like yours. Personally, I love that look for guys :)

Hope this helps...
Anita

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
mayalopecia: yeah even the 1cm will probably b too long im afraid. the clipper setting r roughly 0=stubble, 1=1mm, 2=2mm, 3=4mm, 4=6mm..thats kindof a rough guide id say, far from definite though. i wont shave it all off im pretty sure but il have to go pretty low :(

humpty: im not on minoxidil at the moment no, just propecia as of 3 weeks ago. only thing is i know putting minoxidil in ur hair makes it look pretty rubbish, and doing this twice a day would b hard. unless i buzzed the head i guess. i was also hoping that propecia might thicken up a little bit over say a year or 2. if i could have the hair i had 2 1/2 months ago even id b over the moon. yeah maybe i will buzz it im not sure if it will look glaringly extensive or not though, so might do it in the holidays.

another thing maybe this forum could help me on. could highlighting the tips of ur hair contribute to hairloss? thing is i lighten my tips after a haircut to cover the thinning a bit..it would look too bad without this. i dont do the bottom of the hair near the scalp, leave the bleach on tips for about 20mins then rinse. i then use a sachet of scalp soother and hair conditioner. this is about once a month. its also another incentive to buzz cut - so i dont have to lighten the hair nemore.

Anita

Reaction score
I would definitely say that the buzz cut would aid your application of minoxidil. When my husband puts it on now, I have no idea. He has to tell me "don't touch my head because there's stuff on it". Totally invisible.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies anita. i really hope my thinning can b disguised with a shaved head but i wont opt for it just yet. maybe when the next holidays come. im mainly scared bcos if it looks really bad, like im obviously thin all over, i wouldnt b able to grow it out bcos while it was growing out itd look terrible.

ne advice on the highlights? thing is if i dont have them its v obvious im thin on top.