Gigz89's Story- Hair started thinning at 17. This is my hair now 5 years later

Gigz89

Reaction score
Gigz89's - Hair started thinning at 17. This is my hair now 5 years later [UPDATE]

Click here for the June 2013 update

Hi, I posted on this forum a long time ago, but since I have pictures this time around, I wanted to start another thread. My hair started to thin when I was 17 and within a span of a couple of months, I had no choice but to trim it down to avoid the horrible "diffused thinning" look.

Here's my regimen:
-Kirkland Minoxidil for about 5 years (on and off; not consistent)
-Antiandrogens for 18 months (15 on finasteride and 3 on duta)
-Miconazole Nitrate for 8 months (it really filled in my scalp by making non-terminal thin hair follicles grow)
-Just started Folligen (I'm cycling mico and follig. 4 and 3 days respectively) and LaserMax haircomb (4x/week)

These pictures were taken 1 day after getting my hair trimmed down to 1.5":

IJpEF.jpg

beFoo.jpg

fEagz.jpg

fj8R1.jpg

As you can tell, I have been able to maintain most of my hairline, though a lot of the hair follicles on my top and crown have thinned out. What do you think?

Last edited:

MPBfighter

Reaction score
do you have any pics before you started treatment? i think your thinning doesn't like that bad at all, hopefully you can continue to maintain what you have. my hair is similar to yours but the thinning on top is way worse.

Gigz89

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have any pictures from the past, but I'll take monthly update pics for this thread.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil found in Rogain™, Antiandrogens and Miconazole Nitrat are harmful to health and may cause heart and kidney problems down the road, its a personal choice after all and up to you to decide. My Doctor recommended which filled out my horseshoe pattern balding spot quite nicely in just a few months.

Could someone ban this ***? That is an affiliate link.

Gigz89

Reaction score
Alright guys, here's another update. First things first though, after the pictures I posted in July, I fell into a deep depression and during the months of Oct, Nov, and Dec I stopped using everything except for Dutasteride and Miconazole Nitrate-- both of which I stopped using in mid-December after running out of supplies.

These latest pictures show the result of my folly.

Crown

Left Side

Right Side

Wow, even I didn't realize up until now just how bad it's gotten. My new regimen is:

• Dutasteride 0.5mg 1x/day- Everyday
  • minoxidil 2x/day- Tu-Th; 1x on Mon & Fri
  • MSM 1500mg 2x/day- Everyday
  • Hairmax - 1x/day on M-W-Fri
  • Massage raw honey onto my scalp 1x/day- Mon & Fri (this is just anecdotal but going back to my previous experience with this stuff, it makes my hair appear darker (denser?), especially the temples.
  • Nizoral 2%- everyday
  • Miconazole Nitrate 1x/day- everyday

Will keep you guys posted :salut:

theagx

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a diffuse-thinner and looks theorist so I will give you it straight.

Your thinning hair is beyond the point of noticing. You seem to have a decent donor area though. I have diffuse thinning all over, so I can't even get a hair transplant. I need the meds to work. IMO, buzzing a diffuse thinning head is just the first step to cueball baldness. It will lull you into "accepting" that you're forever changed. Forever "that baldie". Forever seen as old. Forever lost your looks.

I don't see anything in your regimen to block DHT. Massaging honey onto your head? DTers like us don't have time for wives tales and witchdoctor advice. We aren't on the train passing thru NW1, 2, 3, 4...there is like ONE STOP on our journey! And it's a dead-end. Your temples don't look dark to me.

Good luck, I just thought you'd appreciate a little truth from another DTer.

Gigz89

Reaction score
Ok so here's another update (with/out flash):

Crown

Left

Right

Regimen
-minoxidil 1-2x/day (with emu oil)
-Dutasteride 0.5mg/day
-MSM 2x/day
-Folligen 4x/week
-Miconazole nitrate everyday
-Stopped using Hairmax Laser Comb

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
You look like you have DUPA (diffuse unpattered alopecia) rather than standard male pattern baldness. Not only is the top of your head thinning but the sides look thin. I suspect I have this type of balding too. You're doing everything you can treatment wise but if I were you I'd shave my head with a razor and keep it that way. You look to have a good head shape and no one would detect your balding because you still have complete coverage.

Gigz89

Reaction score
I looked up DUPA and it sounds like I might have it. This worries me a little because they recommended against hair transplants since DUPA might cause the transplanted hairs to shrink as well. Have you considered getting an hair transplant?

abutton

Reaction score
Hi everybody, here's the update for April

Hey Gigz Im 21 and from the UK and want to start duta.
Would you be able to tell me where you buy yours from? so if you could help me out I'd be really appreciative.

thanks mate, if you could post your reply in my thread that'd be great (especially if it takes you a while to see this)

Gigz89

Reaction score
May update

Edit: I think that my hairline is looking better though I wish that my front-right would thicken up a bit more. As for supplements, I have stopped using MSM because of its effects on my digestive system.

Gigz89

Reaction score
June update

For this month, I'm going to post pictures taken from different angles than my usual standard.

Still on Dutasteride, minoxidil 2ml/day w/emu oil, folligen 3x/week, and miconazole nitrate 4x/week. As you can see my right side is definitely the worst since my hairline is slowly disappearing there. I don't know if my crown has gotten better or stayed the same but I'm hoping that after adding the laser comb back in, something will change for the better.

What do you guys think? Anything else I should try?

GoodLookingBaldy

Reaction score
Any update to your progress? It appears your hair has slightly thickened, or at the very least maintained it's density, which is still a good thing.

na me

Reaction score
Hi guys am 28yrs and started loosing my hair when I was 22yrs. I just bought minoxidil + azelaic acid and two months into it am gaining some weights, pls should I stop or continue