Getting Rid Of Sides? (finasteride)

Aged

Reaction score
Hi all.

So basically, been taking finasteride since October ‘15. Never had serious side effects, only side effects I encountered were brain fog (not drastic), slight loss of libido (not non existant but not horny every minute of the day like I was) and fat gain.

I can accept the slight loss of libido because of the wonders finasteride did for my hair, I was so thin you could see through to my scalp, now my hair is so thick I get complimented all the time. Crazy!

My issue is the fat I have gained. I’m 24, am currently taking 0.25mg every day, along with DIM plus and zinc. I’ve always been fit and healthy, and have been lifting weights and dieting/bodybuilding since I was 17. I know greatly in detail how calorie deficits etc work before people start saying I need to diet, I was 5% body fat at one point so know what I’m doing, and now it seems no matter what I try, I can’t seem to shift this excess body fat. It’s like love handles, really round my lower belly and hips. It’s weird because you can still see my upper ab section and my upper body is still really toned, just my lower section I can’t seem to shift. I’ve tried doing finasteride EOD, my hair starts thinning out again but I do seem to start losing this ‘water weight’. I’ve always found it hard to put on weight, but now all of a sudden now I’m on finasteride I can’t seem to get the weight off of me!

Has anyone not only experienced this, but found a solution? I was thinking of stopping finasteride, let my body flush out and then start again gradually (eg 0.25 EOD- 1mg ED). Anyone tried this and found it worked?

I don’t really want to stop taking finasteride but being so fitness orientated enough is enough!

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much do you weigh? Are you normal weight for your age and height?Post your stats

Edit: Sorry but I highly doubt you've been 5%, atleast not naturally. If so, were you on steroids?

Aged

Reaction score
How much do you weigh? Are you normal weight for your age and height?Post your stats

Edit: Sorry but I highly doubt you've been 5%, atleast not naturally. If so, were you on steroids?

I’m currently at 87kg, I was 85kg before finasteride. I shot right up to100kg right after I went on finasteride, I think the change in hormones must have been too much for my body because my weight shot up in about 6 weeks with no change to diet/routine whatsoever. I didn’t event realise how big I’d got until someone said. Like I said for someone who watches their diet so carefully and stays in shape it did not make sense. I’m 24, 6’2. Very normal weight for my age, I’m not overweight, imagine being ripped but having been a load of water around your lower belly and hip area. It’s really strange.

And no I wasn’t on steroids. My point is, I was always the ‘skinny ripped’ dude at school, always had a six pack no matter what I ate. I’ve been lucky with the genetics I have for fitness but now I can’t seem to get rid of this fat!

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m currently at 87kg, I was 85kg before finasteride. I shot right up to100kg right after I went on finasteride, I think the change in hormones must have been too much for my body because my weight shot up in about 6 weeks with no change to diet/routine whatsoever. I didn’t event realise how big I’d got until someone said. Like I said for someone who watches their diet so carefully and stays in shape it did not make sense. I’m 24, 6’2. Very normal weight for my age, I’m not overweight, imagine being ripped but having been a load of water around your lower belly and hip area. It’s really strange.

And no I wasn’t on steroids. My point is, I was always the ‘skinny ripped’ dude at school, always had a six pack no matter what I ate. I’ve been lucky with the genetics I have for fitness but now I can’t seem to get rid of this fat!

Have you had the same diet from 84 kg to 100 kg truthfully without lying? Have you gone to the gym as much? The reason why I'm asking is because there are tons of roided guys on propecia along with roids who are still ripped. Are you sure that your weight gain is because of this drug?

Furthermore, at 87 kg 6'2 my guess is that your maintenace is at like 3000 calories. Did you count your macros correctly when you shot up?
Also, do you still have the hip fat you were talking about?

87 kg 6'2 puts your BMI at 24.9 which is 0.1 off of overweight. Although if you're a gymlad this doesn't apply to you.

Aged

Reaction score
Have you had the same diet from 84 kg to 100 kg truthfully without lying? Have you gone to the gym as much? The reason why I'm asking is because there are tons of roided guys on propecia along with roids who are still ripped. Are you sure that your weight gain is because of this drug?

Furthermore, at 87 kg 6'2 my guess is that your maintenace is at like 3000 calories. Did you count your macros correctly when you shot up?
Also, do you still have the hip fat you were talking about?

87 kg 6'2 puts your BMI at 24.9 which is 0.1 off of overweight. Although if you're a gymlad this doesn't apply to you.

Haha yes, I’ve been to the gym as much, and no my diet hasn’t changed. If anything it was worse before I started finasteride.

I know, I’ve seen people on forums all over the net saying finasteride didn’t affect their weight/physical appearance and even people who say it made them lose weight. But I’ve also seen a load of people saying the exact same as what I’m saying, how it made them put on ‘woman weight’. I guess some of us are just more sensitive to hormone changes or something. But I want to know if anyone has had any luck!

Like I said, it’s like I’m still ripped for the most of my body, but lower abs and hips I’m not.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha yes, I’ve been to the gym as much, and no my diet hasn’t changed. If anything it was worse before I started finasteride.

I know, I’ve seen people on forums all over the net saying finasteride didn’t affect their weight/physical appearance and even people who say it made them lose weight. But I’ve also seen a load of people saying the exact same as what I’m saying, how it made them put on ‘woman weight’. I guess some of us are just more sensitive to hormone changes or something. But I want to know if anyone has had any luck!

Like I said, it’s like I’m still ripped for the most of my body, but lower abs and hips I’m not.

I see, bro. Thx for your detailed response. About your hip area, is it fat or is it change of bone structure? Do you mind sending a picture? If not, that's fine. Just geuinely curious

Feelsbadman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i don't understand man,
The only way for you to gain weight is if you eat a caloric surplus. Simple as that. It's not finasteride. You have just under estimtated how much you have been eating.

Aged

Reaction score
I see, bro. Thx for your detailed response. About your hip area, is it fat or is it change of bone structure? Do you mind sending a picture? If not, that's fine. Just geuinely curious

No worries, thanks for your reply. I’d rather not send a pic haha, I have tattoos on my torso and if anyone I knew came across this thread they’d notice it was me straight away lol. Trying to stay confidential!

Aged

Reaction score
i don't understand man,
The only way for you to gain weight is if you eat a caloric surplus. Simple as that. It's not finasteride. You have just under estimtated how much you have been eating.

I know, it makes no sense. I can assure you it has nothing to do with diet/exercise as this has stayed the same throughout my whole finasteride experience. I know as you get older your metabolism slows down but this is not the case. I’m 24!

Imagine being ripped, but having this ‘water weight’ around your lower belly and hips. It’s really strange.