Getting really stressed about my hair!

Zenith123

Reaction score
Hello,

I've actually posted this in another hair forum but no harm in getting more opinions.

Well I am 36 and I have only in the last 5 months noticed anything amiss with my hair. I have always had a strong widows peak but it never receded or got any different. I always have medium length hair and so I guess this is one reason I just never noticed anything. Also I hardly look at myself much in the mirror.

Well I got my first comment about 5 months ago when a lady I know said god you are losing your hair. Then another guy said I was receding at work. Well I asked my hairdresser and she said she couldn't see any difference. I have noticed that the sides of my hair have become thinner. It is harder to manage my fringe. Well I am new at this so ask me if I have left anything out. Oh my father starting going bald at 39, but his followed a different pattern it seems. He lost from his crown first. I seem to not be.

Well I will show you some photos. I am stressed and upset just typing this out. I've always been known for my hair, and I feel it's a part of my character. My hair is thick everywhere else it seems!

Funny enough i'm not worried if anybody finds how who I am, but it helps to try and be private. No i'm not famous lol.

Screenshot 2014-05-19 19.56.41.jpgScreenshot 2014-05-19 19.56.47.jpgmw5je0.jpg

Also really worried about using drugs? I also take prozac.

What is your advice?

Will I be okay? This has only started being a problem recently. Like I say, I am 36. I am seeing a consultant in 2 weeks.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
the most honest answer is it does look like you have male pattern baldness and are receding. No one can tell you if you are going to keep you hair until you died or are going to lose it all in a year. IT IS UNPREDICTABLE.

Zenith123

Reaction score
the most honest answer is it does look like you have male pattern baldness and are receding. No one can tell you if you are going to keep you hair until you died or are going to lose it all in a year. IT IS UNPREDICTABLE.

Thanks.

But do you think it's particularly bad? Will finisteride benefit me. I have started going at the age of 36.

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride will probably stop any further recede, and thicken up existing hair. What's about your crown area?

Zenith123

Reaction score
Oh there is no sign of it in my crown area. I 'seem' to have really good hair everywhere else. You can see what I look like in the black and white photo, that's me now. I never even noticed the recession till 6 months ago and I had no idea what would occur in the next months.

Thanks.

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
You are somewhat lucky, looks like you'll never be actually "bald"=) But finasteride can help really.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride will stop your hair loss almost certainly. The pattern of loss you have you are unlikely to see any regrowth but it is important to stop further loss. You can consider a hair transplant to restore your hair line and in combination with finasteride you should not lose anymore of your existing hair. You may not even need finasteride, you may remain at nw3 forever unless you notice hair loss continuing at the front

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
You should try to address the underlying stress/anxiety that's making you stay on prozac. Psychologists (be prepared to switch if you don't get along with one) and self research succeed in the long run.

Zenith123

Reaction score
finasteride will stop your hair loss almost certainly. The pattern of loss you have you are unlikely to see any regrowth but it is important to stop further loss. You can consider a hair transplant to restore your hair line and in combination with finasteride you should not lose anymore of your existing hair. You may not even need finasteride, you may remain at nw3 forever unless you notice hair loss continuing at the front

Thank you. Well I am not sure if my hair loss is dramatic, or if it looks bad currently. A lot of people don't notice but I do have scruffy hair which tends to hide the recession. Like I said it hasn't recessed much since in my twenties, otherwise I would have noticed much earlier. I guess it's a slow drip that's now got to a point where i'm scared.

I don't even know what Norwood I am? Oh you think i'm Norwood 3? Oh :( Okay.

Well yes I would consider a transplant. I should note that i have always had a strong widows peak. I have never had a flat hairline, even as a youngster. I am looking at a consultation June 2nd, I may then get finasteride. I was hoping to regain some but I guess it's too much to ask for. Also, I really hope I may remain at NW3. Somehow I never seem to have that much luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes I know. Trust me it is a lifelong battle. I also have ADD and we are 6 times more likely to suffer from further mental problems so there you go. I am always trying my best to address the problem. Thank you.