getting off propecia

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so im down to my last few propecia pills and do not plan on refilling my prescription. Ive been on for about 5 months along with minoxidil, so not sure how much of my progress is due to the finasteride. Im just wondering when I should expect a shed if any at all?

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
Sides effects, low libido and erectile problems. Just dosen't seem right cutting off a hormone in my body by up to 70%, when its obviously there to serve some purpose. I'm 19, and IMO it always seems like the younger guys get the more noticeable sides...why this is I have no idea. I have nothing against propecia, it works great for its purpose, just not for me. I will be getting on proxiphen, minoxidil(5% now, 15% maybe later), and nizoral. Im really just looking to maintain what I have.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
remember finasteride doesn't block Testosterone, it blocks DHT. And DHT apparently has no function in the adult male body (except for causing hair follicles to shrink)

If anything, finasteride might increase testosterone because less of it is being converted into DHT.

Jm0311

Reaction score
Quantum Cat said:
remember finasteride doesn't block Testosterone, it blocks DHT. And DHT apparently has no function in the adult male body (except for causing hair follicles to shrink)

If anything, finasteride might increase testosterone because less of it is being converted into DHT.

Is this correct?

Hit5

Reaction score
While it is possible, the studies show very low odds to this:

In clinical studies for PROPECIA, a small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects, such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, or a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men and went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA because of them.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Quantum Cat said:

Then answer this question for me: why doesn't the body manufacture LESS testosterone when you take finasteride, to maintain the proper level of testosterone?

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
Nuli said:
Ok so im down to my last few propecia pills and do not plan on refilling my prescription. Ive been on for about 5 months along with minoxidil, so not sure how much of my progress is due to the finasteride. Im just wondering when I should expect a shed if any at all?

Five months is still too early to see results with finasteride. Don't give up just yet.

As for the infamous shed, I've been using Proscar for 10 years and never had one.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Quantum Cat said:

Then answer this question for me: why doesn't the body manufacture LESS testosterone when you take finasteride, to maintain the proper level of testosterone?

I said might. :whistle:

Some people are scared to take finasteride because they think it will inhibit all their testosterone and they'll turn into women. That simply isn't true.

A

Administrator

Nulli i think at 19 years old your decision is a smart one. Get on some topical antiandrogens instead.

While DHT theoretically plays no significant active role in the adult male body ... it is present in thousands of tissues throughout the body, apparently in varying quantities in different people. Depleting it may or may not have a noticeable effect in DHT bearing tissues throughout the body. Totally depends on the person.

Im sure Bryan will disagree. lol.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Quantum Cat said:
Bryan said:
[quote="Quantum Cat":hnrpq2gj]If anything, finasteride might increase testosterone because less of it is being converted into DHT.

I said might. :whistle: [/quote:hnrpq2gj]

Why might it not do as I said?

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
Flavio said:
Nuli said:

Five months is still too early to see results with finasteride. Don't give up just yet.

As for the infamous shed, I've been using Proscar for 10 years and never had one.

Oh ive had great results from the big 3, far beyond my expectations. Its too bad I noticed the sides, but hey thats life. I don't think the cure to baldness is to deny dht to our bodies, its more of a work around imo.