Getting Nervous About finasteride Reactions

samjd12

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Finally made the decision to go on finasteride (1.25mg Proscar) after about a year on just Nizoral.

First week or two was fine and seemed to immediately stop previous shedding.

However, from about week 3-4 I had an extremely itchy scalp and also dandruff. I've had dandruff before on occassion, but its been far more persistent since going on finasteride. I also had a huge shed last week and my hair has noticeably thinned all over, whereas previously it was mainly receding on the temples. In particular, my crown seems to be way thinner and I can see scalp in various place.

Am I having a bad reaction? It feels like finasteride has accelerated my hair loss and totally weakened all my hair, as well as giving me itchy scalp and dandruff. I'm about to reach the 2 month mark now and am unsure what to do.

I have jeard about "reflexive androgenicity" and am worried that this could be my case. Indeed, I have had no sides on the medication.

Here are some pics to show changes from before Propecia (3 months ago) to now:

Please let me know what I should do.

Attachments

• unspecified.jpg
    unspecified.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 379
  • unspecified.jpg
    unspecified.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 373
  • Photo 09-11-2016, 23 28 35.jpg
    Photo 09-11-2016, 23 28 35.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 364

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I say: Stick with it! I had the same reaction when starting Finasteride (increased itching + shedding). It got better after a few months and like 9 months the hair definetly looked better than before starting. And furthermore, you have no chance apart from taking Finasteride if you want to keep your hair in the long run. And since you also don´t get sides, your best choice imo is to continue treatment.

samjd12

Reaction score
Fingers crossed! The sense of powerlessness is extremely stressful. No one actually knows how their body will respond to each treatment until its taken place. Need improved research and transparency regarding this area of healthcare!

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fingers crossed! The sense of powerlessness is extremely stressful.
I know, this is no joke: When I noticed the increased thinning/shedding after starting I ended up in a mental asylum. Did you think about getting a buzz cut? Like this you won´t really notice the shedding anymore, at least that´s why I did.

samjd12

Reaction score
Not really - it would have to be very drastic for me to take that action. Chosen to take the meds to avoid any noticeable changes in hair so buzzcut would almost defeat point!

My hair is slightly longer at the moment, so a haircut will probably improve it. In normal lighting it isn't too bad. Really just hoping that it thickens up again soon, as have always had rather thick hair.