Getting my Transplant this Friday!

smeerdude

Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally decided to go ahead with the transplant after about 1 year of debating and researching I am doing it. I am a little nervous but I think I will be fine once I get to the surgery office.

I am getting 3000 grafts in one mega session so it will be a long day to say the least. I started loosing my hair at age 26 and I am now 34. The hair loss has slowed down in the last few years and I am now very thin on top. I think about it everyday and I am sick of being depressed about it.

So I will let you all know how things go. Thanks for all the great advice you all give on this board it has really helped me make my decision.

Peace

eddie

Reaction score
Good Luck with your hair transplant!

Hey dude good luck on your procedure this coming Friday! I had my procedure done 11 days ago and I am healing well. My surgery lasted about 5 hours but I only had 1,017 F.U. grafts done, yours will be a little longer being that you're gonna have 3000 grafts done.

Don't worry. I was nervous too but I went through with it just like the thousands of guys before me. I experienced very little pain and I am glad that I went through with it. I have my sutures removed this Wednesday and the hardest part is waiting for those transplants to start growing. The donor site was a little sore and numb but it is getting better everyday. I know the wait is going to be worth it.

I am 37 and it took me a while to finally get the nerve to go through with it. Time goes by fast and the healing phase starts immediately. This will be the best present you could give to yourself, a future with a full head of hair.

Good Luck!

Eddie :)

ts808

Reaction score
smeerdude,
Good luck on your procedure! Who's your surgeon? I am also having a 3000 graft procedure on Monday with Dr. Hasson. I'm ready to roll.

smeerdude

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I live in Toronto and I am getting the procedure done at "Sure Hair International".

I am nervous but I get allot of comfort reading all the stories on this board.

I just hope I don't experience to much shock loss.

How long should I plan to be away from work. I have Saturday and Sunday. I plan to take the following week off also. Is that enough time?

ts808

Reaction score
There is an article at http://www.hassonandwong.com/ under "special topics" that talks about shock loss & post op redness. I was told that my staples will come out in 10 to 14 days. I think many people take one week off. You should be fine.

sal1

Reaction score
Good Luck Smeerdude!

Dont worry too much about shock loss. If it happens it all comes back when transplants come in. I had some shock loss and was worried, but when things started growing it was more than a releif.

Im 36 and had hair transplant last October and am very glad I did it. I also had mine done on a friday and was back to work on monday and back in the gym by wednesday.(very very light weights at that point)

You'll do fine and will be very happy you did it. Its a big decision, but man is it worth it.

Take it easy and good luck.
sal1

smeerdude

Reaction score
Thanks,

Only 2 more days and then I get the surgery. I know that Thursday night I probably won't sleep too much.

I will let you all know how things turn out.

The surgeon is Dr. Roger Lam from Toronto.

If anyone here has gotten the transplant done by him let me know how it went.

ts808

Reaction score
Good luck on your surgery tommorrow! I hope you get some sleep tonight. Keep us posted.

smeerdude

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well I had the surgery yesterday. Everything went fine but I think I did not eat enough before going to the office and I felt faint when they started admistrating the freezing to the donor area. But after that I was ok, they where really good with me and made me feel comfortable. The results are 3300 grafts in a 12 hour session, It was along day let me tell you.

I just cleaned the area today and one thing I am noticing is little white stuff oozing out of certain area is this normal and what should I do about this?

Anyway I appreciate all the help you give me and I am glad the procedure is over, I feel so happy that I did something about a problem that has been bothering me for over 3 years now. Can't wait to see some results.

Peace

G

smeerdude said:
Hi Guys,

Well I had the surgery yesterday. Everything went fine but I think I did not eat enough before going to the office and I felt faint when they started admistrating the freezing to the donor area. But after that I was ok, they where really good with me and made me feel comfortable. The results are 3300 grafts in a 12 hour session, It was along day let me tell you.

I just cleaned the area today and one thing I am noticing is little white stuff oozing out of certain area is this normal and what should I do about this?

Anyway I appreciate all the help you give me and I am glad the procedure is over, I feel so happy that I did something about a problem that has been bothering me for over 3 years now. Can't wait to see some results.

Peace

Suggestion--If you had work done in the front hairline, I would start using ice packs right now. The swelling from the work in the hairline can start to extend down your forehead and to your eyes. If you ice the forehead, this will stop the travel so to speak.

I used the ointment my MD gave me on the grafts and shampooed with folligen shampoo when I could. Then, after about 8 days, I started using foligen spray at half strength per Dr. Pickhard.

Good luck.

smeerdude

Reaction score
Well it's been almost one week since my hair transplant, everything is looking good and I get my stitches out tomorrow. I can't wait because it is quite tight back there.

Yesterday and today I started swelling around my right eye, I don't know if this is normal but I guess the doctor will tell me tomorrow.

Anyway I will keep you all posted on my results.

ts808

Reaction score
Swelling is quite common. Some get it- some don't. I am surprised that you're getting you're stitched out on day 7. I thought it was always 10 to 14 days after surgery. Whatever the case, follow the docs orders. He knows his methods best. I bet you'l be relieved when you get them out. I just had my surgery on Monday with Dr. Hasson. He used staples and I have to wait at least 10 days before taking them out. Good luck, keep us posted.

smeerdude

Reaction score
Stitches are now out and yes it feels allot better.

Doctor said everything is looking good, I go back to work Tomorrow Tuesday, I guess I will see if anyone notices that I had surgery done.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Sben

Reaction score
Dude

Please keep us posted with your progress....and how did your co-workers react

smeerdude said:
Stitches are now out and yes it feels allot better.

Doctor said everything is looking good, I go back to work Tomorrow Tuesday, I guess I will see if anyone notices that I had surgery done.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

smeerdude

Reaction score
No one really noticed at work, i guess i had enough hair to cover up the area.

Things are going well, its been over 2 weeks now and i am starting to have a little bit of fallout but i was told this is normal, the donor area is still a little sore but it is getting better.

I do notice some grafts falling out, i hope that its just the ends of them and the root is planted and will grow later.

I will keep you updated with everything.

Peace

k2laser

Reaction score
I am also getting a hair transplant in 3 weeks!!!

Smeerdude, what norwood scale were you? How many grafts were done to you? Were you mostly receding in the front, or just the back, or both? What kind of hair do you have: straight, wavy, or curly? Black, brown, red, or blond? Thin, medium or generally thick hair?

smeerdude

Reaction score
I guess I am about a Norwood 3, I had 3300 grafts done, and I was really thinning in the front and down the center of my head. I have dark brown hair, straight. The hair in the back and sides is thick. But the top is thin.

I washed it very well a few days ago and I was able to get all the white flakes out, it feels allot better now. It's almost a month now since the surgery and the little guys are growing already, I am surprised that they are already growing but I was told they will all fall out and then regrow again. I hope I am one of the few that start growing right away and the hair stays.

I did notice allot of shock loss with the hair I had before the procedure. Hopefully it will slow down soon and start to regrow.

Anyway I will try to post some pics very soon.

Where can I get Folligen and minoxidil? Do I need a prescription for it and once I start using it do I have to take it all the time?

k2laser

Reaction score
Propecia/Proscar. Does it work for hairloss?

What aren't we hearing men with prostate problems claiming they are growing part or all their hair, when all along they've been taking Proscar, "same medication as Propecia"??? I guess the drug does not truly work.