Getting Back Into Training and Need Advice

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I've been taking between 2-3000mg of MSM daily for a few months now. Not helping with hair but my nails seem to grow really fast now :(
I have noticed less cracking and creaking in the joints too.
I also recommended it (MSM/Gluclosamine) to one of my Mother's co-workers since she was having hip joint pain.....Saw my Mom yesterday and she said the woman sends her thanks to me. It's helped her a lot.

I'm pretty sure only time will help with my tri/elbow thing. sh*t I've been trying Ice, Sports Cream, Naproxen, and nothing is helping it.
It's kind of funny, when I get up in the morning they're so stiff I can barely get my hands to my mouth with my tooth brush......I stand there and laugh in pain :) It's quite comical.
BTW went again tonight.....girlfriend was supposed to go but she bailed again :lol:

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Got my chocolate Optimum Nutrition whey protein mix today.....Tastes pretty good....Thanks for the recommendation
Good news....woke up this morning and about 90% of the pain in my elbows is gone. :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
I went through the same thing when I starting running again. I was okay the night I ran, and as a result probably overdid it a bit. The problem set in the next morning, my knees were toast, stiff and painful. It was the first time I have ever had such troubles, and was a reminder that I am getting OLD!

I was somewhat worried that I really hosed them up, but after several days the pain subsided and I tried running again, but took it easy. No pain! I was then able to build up from there, and have not had pain since. Perhaps the ligaments just needed some patience in getting warmed up?

Cassin

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
BTW went again tonight.....girlfriend was supposed to go but she bailed again :lol:

My girlfriend is good about working out but she is really bad about ordering diet pills, vitamins and the like, taking them for a week and stopping. That garbage is expensive stuff! There is half a dozen of bottles in our pantry with 95% of the bottle left. I have no idea why she buys the junk. She only needs to lose 5 to 10 lbs max and thats being picky. I just put in an order at the bodybuilding site today for some stuff and she asked me to tack on ANOTHER F-ING weight loss supplement! Junk was almost $19 a bottle, and how much will she use? We should get the order Tuesday and by next Tuesday, you guessed it, to the pantry to waste away with the other bottles.

But hey, looks who's talking, me, mr vanity.

:roll:

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, MH did a study on diet pills and basically said they were all pretty much junk. They went through hydroxycut and just about all the other name brands. The best bet is to eat a bunch of small meals and take green tea capsules and that would rev up the metabolism better than any other diet pill could ever do.

Edit I think you were the one who made the green tea thread. my bad

Cassin

Reaction score
Yeah I gotcha 21gone, they probably just have a placebo effect on people for the most part.

I bet it is just frustrating for some people to get those final few pounds off when you do everything your supposed to do and pounds only come off every few months.

Wish I was at that point........

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw atkins at the bottom in your sig cassin. I can tell you that I have researched that and it is terrible for you. I am not sure what phase you are in or if you are in the old atkins or the revised, but I would like to suggest the ABS diet book. I can tell you that I have used it and I really did not need to lose weight but I did within the first week. I was so much more cut after just that first week and the food tastes great. I think the book is like 20 bucks or soemthing like that but I can attest to it being a great book and has a ton of information in there about atkins. Of course I am not one to take what the book said for face value but when I researched atkins it just made no sense to me, especially for someone like myself who was born with heart problems. I do agree though about the placebo affect, sometimes if taken that pill makes one feel better and gets them to the gym than so be it.

Cassin

Reaction score
21gone said:
I saw atkins at the bottom in your sig cassin. I can tell you that I have researched that and it is terrible for you.

Well, I have done the Atkins thing before and I have gone to both sides of the argument. I think it is just fine if you do it the right way. And if you are strict, it can be better than most diets.

My meats are chicken, salmon, eggs (I always lump eggs in the meat category) and turkey.

I stay away from pork and greasy burgers without the bun which is the negative media and competing diets Atkins image. I don't eat a bouquet of bacon with cheese in the middle everyday.

I eat at least a crown of broccoli everyday and tons of fresh green beans. Probably the worst thing I do is eat a salad with ranch dressing with cheese(lots of cheese). I get my carbs from almonds and peanuts.

Pretty balanced diet really, don't you think? I am not missing anything really important during the weight loss phase. I could use some fiber but I can make it another month without that and be just fine.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack your thread BHD, the entire "back into health" topic is an interesting one and I can't help but chime in with nearly every comment . :oops:

drinkrum

Reaction score
21gone said:
Cassin, MH did a study on diet pills and basically said they were all pretty much junk. They went through hydroxycut and just about all the other name brands. The best bet is to eat a bunch of small meals and take green tea capsules and that would rev up the metabolism better than any other diet pill could ever do.

True, except their study was after the ephedra ban. Hydroxycut, Xenadrine, Stacker, etc. all worked quite well when they had ephedrine in them.

Anyway, Men's Health's survey of supplements was a bit lacking in breadth. There are a bunch of supplements that actually do things. But most supplements are indeed a load of crap.

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Cassin said:
drinkrum said:
ephedra ban.

Ephedra is just fine for you if used correctly. People just took it to extremes.

Yep. Like everything else. The FDA should just ban all medicine period, and then go ahead and ban food, since morbidly obese people OD on cheeseburgers all the time.

D.

Cassin

Reaction score
Thermogenics are VERY safe if you cycle them and stay hydrated. If ephedra gets put back on the shelves soon, which it looks like it will be, I would use it and not think twice.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Thermogenics are VERY safe if you cycle them and stay hydrated. If ephedra gets put back on the shelves soon, which it looks like it will be, I would use it and not think twice.

Yeah, I agree. I've used all of them in past -- Hydroxycut, Xenadrine, Ripped Fuel, Stacker, etc.

D.

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
21gone said:

True, except their study was after the ephedra ban. Hydroxycut, Xenadrine, Stacker, etc. all worked quite well when they had ephedrine in them.

Anyway, Men's Health's survey of supplements was a bit lacking in breadth. There are a bunch of supplements that actually do things. But most supplements are indeed a load of crap.

D.

This is true. It really also depends on what is causing your fat i.e. if you have stress induced weight cortisol controlling pills will help a ton. And to Cassin that is why I questioned to which part you were using, those meats are def the best way to go and still taste great. just a question for you though, do you not feel the need to eat some oats or other say whole wheat products or even beans once in a while?

Totally agree about the ephedra, I think stories just got sensationlized about the professionals who died, but my guess would be that it was not used correctly. There are many more worse thing out there. I am not sure if this is still going on but Congress was really trying to put a stranglehold on just about all supliments making much more difficult to obtain.

Cassin

Reaction score
21gone said:
just a question for you though, do you not feel the need to eat some oats or other say whole wheat products or even beans once in a while?

Oh sure, but when I cheat I go at it. I don't have cheat days, I have cheat meals. Tonight I had pizza and some wheat thins (a handful :oops: ).

21gone said:
Totally agree about the ephedra, I think stories just got sensationlized about the professionals who died, but my guess would be that it was not used correctly. There are many more worse thing out there. I am not sure if this is still going on but Congress was really trying to put a stranglehold on just about all supliments making much more difficult to obtain.

Yeah ephedra pills and as you mentioned 21gone, green tea pills are basically the only decent weight loss pills.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I went through the same thing when I starting running again. I was okay the night I ran, and as a result probably overdid it a bit. The problem set in the next morning, my knees were toast, stiff and painful. It was the first time I have ever had such troubles, and was a reminder that I am getting OLD!

I was somewhat worried that I really hosed them up, but after several days the pain subsided and I tried running again, but took it easy. No pain! I was then able to build up from there, and have not had pain since. Perhaps the ligaments just needed some patience in getting warmed up?
Exact same thing happens to me. I go a few months without running (7am is no time to run during the UK's winter) and the day after I go I can barely walk, my knees, hips and leg muscles are all shot. Then the pain subsides over a couple of days and the next run is fine, just the normal muscle tiredness you would expect.

Slarti

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
well I've been to the gym a few times already and elbows are holding up just fine.
Seems my GF has given up before she's even tried this time...She came home with a big bag of my favorite cookies.....Keebler EL Fudge :shock:
She's trying to break me :eek:

drinkrum

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
well I've been to the gym a few times already and elbows are holding up just fine.
Seems my GF has given up before she's even tried this time...She came home with a big bag of my favorite cookies.....Keebler EL Fudge :shock:
She's trying to break me :eek:

Send some cookies this way, if you ain't having 'em, BHD!

D.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Update

Just wanted to give an update.
Getting back to the gym has to be one of the best things I could have done for myself. Big thanks to the GF.

My diet has changed dramatically and I'm already seeing some gains in muscle and strength.
Doing a 2 day on 1 day off split now.
Chest/Bi's
Quads/calfs
off
Shoulders/Tris
Back/Hams
off
On off days I throw in some cardio/abs or I'll go back later at night during on days to get some cardio in.
I'm usually in and out of the gym in 45 minutes.

The only down side is the gas from all the protein. :oops:

I have more energy now than I've had in a long time and i sleep like a rock at night.

Supplemets are just the basics:
Multi
ON Whey Protein
Joint support: Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM
EFA's
lots of protein every meal (6 times a day)

drinkrum

Reaction score
Re: Update

BadHairDecade said:
Just wanted to give an update.
Getting back to the gym has to be one of the best things I could have done for myself. Big thanks to the GF.

My diet has changed dramatically and I'm already seeing some gains in muscle and strength.
Doing a 2 day on 1 day off split now.
Chest/Bi's
Quads/calfs
off
Shoulders/Tris
Back/Hams
off
On off days I throw in some cardio/abs or I'll go back later at night during on days to get some cardio in.
I'm usually in and out of the gym in 45 minutes.

The only down side is the gas from all the protein. :oops:

I have more energy now than I've had in a long time and i sleep like a rock at night.

Supplemets are just the basics:
Multi
ON Whey Protein
Joint support: Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM
EFA's
lots of protein every meal (6 times a day)

Protein farts!

D.