Getting A Hair Transplant Without Using Propecia?

Dannyboy77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys - been starting to really look into hair loss solutions with hair transplant being at the top of the list.

I have noticed a number of threads where it seems it is sort of mandatory to take Propecia post op or indefinitely.

I'd really rather not ever touch the stuff as I have a good friend who has endocrine burnout and total loss of sexual desire. I found out about this a couple years back when he came out about it and I wasn't even looking for solutions then. He's an awesome dude, not a fear mongerer at all.

Years ago, a derma told me to get on it because i was showing signs of hair loss. He really tried to convince me and i basically said f*** that simply at the mention of sexual side effects. In my gut i knew back then not to mess with it.

Now my hair is getting pretty thin though i manage it well with a great stylist and keeping it short. I am also on Minoxidil and 1% Nizoral (which I've learned probably doesnt do anything)

Bottom line is: do need to be on Propecia post-op does everyone do this? Will the hair fall out again without it?

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The transplanted hair wont fall out but the rest will making it look sh*t.

The basic of hair transplant is that you stabilize your hair loss first.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the top British hair transplant doctors in the world says it's enough to take finasteride 1mg once a week because it inhibits 5arII activity from a week to 10 days. The goal after a hair transplant is to maintain what you have, not really regrow. DHT doesn't need to be completely decimated to reach that goal.

so you could either take it once a week or take a microdose. Has your friend gotten better ever since he quit? I heard most people get better after 6 months to a year.

william elliott

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys - been starting to really look into hair loss solutions with hair transplant being at the top of the list.

I have noticed a number of threads where it seems it is sort of mandatory to take Propecia post op or indefinitely.

I'd really rather not ever touch the stuff as I have a good friend who has endocrine burnout and total loss of sexual desire. I found out about this a couple years back when he came out about it and I wasn't even looking for solutions then. He's an awesome dude, not a fear mongerer at all.

Years ago, a derma told me to get on it because i was showing signs of hair loss. He really tried to convince me and i basically said f*** that simply at the mention of sexual side effects. In my gut i knew back then not to mess with it.

Now my hair is getting pretty thin though i manage it well with a great stylist and keeping it short. I am also on Minoxidil and 1% Nizoral (which I've learned probably doesnt do anything)

Bottom line is: do need to be on Propecia post-op does everyone do this? Will the hair fall out again without it?
I am a perfect example. Propecia destroyed my ability to get an erection 18 years ago. It took me years to recover. I had a great hair transplant 7 years ago, BUT transplanted hair will fall out if the hair from where it was taken starts to thin. I also had a great beard hair transplant into the thinning area on my scalp. Looked great for 7 years, but has really thinned out in the last 7 months. I might try minoxidil--BUT WILL never try propecia again.