Getting A Hair Transplant At 22 Years Old

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm fed up with my hair loss and finally want to try doing something about it. The different supplements all seem great, but only slow down the process. I'm already pretty far down the path (and WAY further than most my age). I'm probably a NW3 or 4 with how thin my hair is in the front.

I've read some articles saying it's not good to get a transplant so early because then the area that wasn't transplanted will eventually fall out and it will look worse. Also, at 22 I am not swimming in money, so cost will obviously a factor. I'm in the US and don't want to travel to foreign lands just to get a transplant.

Has anyone had a transplant at my age? How has it worked out for you? About what would I be looking at? Could $4000-$6000 get it done for me? Also, you can't normally pay it off with loans right?
I had a hair transplant at 22 and if I can save anyone from it I will. It is the WORST decision I have ever made and probably will ever make. With the loss you are describing it just wouldn't be right to jump into a hair transplant and at our age it just won't work. I know you're gonna get frustrated to read this but don't worry there is hope.

First off if you choose to ignore me and get the hair transplant anyway then please do not go with an FUT procedure. Idc if they do the tricophytic closure or not, the linear scar can be seen at a short hair cut and if you end up being able to sport long hair you can still see the shadow if hair gets wet. I've talked to people. Also you don't know how your scar will turn out nobody can predict that. FUT provides a bigger yield that is the only reason it still exists. a bigger yield doesn't mean better for us aggressive hair loss sufferers. Credible surgeons will admit that you just can't achieve full set of hair with multiple FUTs. If you do achieve some density overall on top of your head that's fine but you're trading out one problem for another. Your donor area will show in harsh lighting and if hair is wet. If you don't scar perfectly then you will have visibility of the scar even with dry hair and you will have to grow your hair out a lot just to cover that. An hair transplant is not for everyone and FUE doesn't solve extensive hair loss at all. Not to mention that FUE grafts when cut to a short length hairstyle are obvious transplant grafts. They just don't sit well with your natural hair. Once it grows about past a 2 then your transplant starts blending in with natural hair. So what is your option then? I just wouldn't do an hair transplant period. It's hard to hear that but I offer some hope for you.

Bioprinted fully functional skin and hair follicles with claims that it is indistinguishable from normal skin. It actually works by creating hair follicles from it and they have now been able to do it, so it might solve scarring and possibly baldness? No guarantees it's just a new breakthrough but then again there's always breakthroughs.

Hair cloning is the current hype, but again there is
No guarantees and we are all waiting on their trials to end to see if we will be able to jump in for new hair.

In my opinion, I wish I could just be bald now and get back my virgin scalp. At least back then I stepped outside to look at the sky, the sun, the clouds and all. Now I sit inside a house all day every day waiting for a way out... patience my friend.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a hair transplant at 22 and if I can save anyone from it I will. It is the WORST decision I have ever made and probably will ever make. With the loss you are describing it just wouldn't be right to jump into a hair transplant and at our age it just won't work. I know you're gonna get frustrated to read this but don't worry there is hope.

First off if you choose to ignore me and get the hair transplant anyway then please do not go with an FUT procedure. Idc if they do the tricophytic closure or not, the linear scar can be seen at a short hair cut and if you end up being able to sport long hair you can still see the shadow if hair gets wet. I've talked to people. Also you don't know how your scar will turn out nobody can predict that. FUT provides a bigger yield that is the only reason it still exists. a bigger yield doesn't mean better for us aggressive hair loss sufferers. Credible surgeons will admit that you just can't achieve full set of hair with multiple FUTs. If you do achieve some density overall on top of your head that's fine but you're trading out one problem for another. Your donor area will show in harsh lighting and if hair is wet. If you don't scar perfectly then you will have visibility of the scar even with dry hair and you will have to grow your hair out a lot just to cover that. An hair transplant is not for everyone and FUE doesn't solve extensive hair loss at all. Not to mention that FUE grafts when cut to a short length hairstyle are obvious transplant grafts. They just don't sit well with your natural hair. Once it grows about past a 2 then your transplant starts blending in with natural hair. So what is your option then? I just wouldn't do an hair transplant period. It's hard to hear that but I offer some hope for you.

Bioprinted fully functional skin and hair follicles with claims that it is indistinguishable from normal skin. It actually works by creating hair follicles from it and they have now been able to do it, so it might solve scarring and possibly baldness? No guarantees it's just a new breakthrough but then again there's always breakthroughs.

Hair cloning is the current hype, but again there is
No guarantees and we are all waiting on their trials to end to see if we will be able to jump in for new hair.

In my opinion, I wish I could just be bald now and get back my virgin scalp. At least back then I stepped outside to look at the sky, the sun, the clouds and all. Now I sit inside a house all day every day waiting for a way out... patience my friend.

For the record it's important to note than in your case you had DUPA, chose very shitty surgeons and had anxiety and mental issues to begin with. Your words not mine.

Your advice is tainted by the fact that regarding your choices, you approached every single one of them with total stupidity and the wrong frame of mind. You chose a doctor who had previously had his license revoked for proclaiming that he was the second coming of Christ.

Scrappy

Reaction score
I got a hair transplant in my late 20's, a rather small one mostly in front/corners. now looking to get it laser removed, as I was only on Rogaine and of course the rest of the hair has thinned (though adding nizoral and Revivogen has slowed down the thinning). But at this point just don't want to be spraying this crap on my hair forever for hair that isn't that great anyway. Can't use Propecia because of the side effects (tried it in my mid-20's).

Basically, the other commenters are right that you must be on Finasteride or something that can halt your hair loss to do this. You should try finasteride, but hold off on a transplant until you see if you can handle the finasteride and that it works for you.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the majority of cases 22 is too young to have a hair transplant. The procedure is very limited and if you take the general number of 5000 fu as being the max for most to draw from the donor zone be aware that this number does not cover a lot. Try doing this. Draw a 5” X 5” square on a piece of paper. Now that square represents 5000 fu at about 50% of original density for most say around 40fu per sq/cm. Now that is not dense it’s see through but it can give okay coverage. For older guys it’s very acceptable but for young guys not so much. This is providing you don’t lose any of the transplanted hair overtime which you may as the donor too is susceptible to dht. So let’s say that drops the number down to 4000 fu long term. You are now looking at 4” X 4” square. Draw that size square and cut it out. Now place it on your head and move it around. It will give you a general idea of the limitations and maybe waiting might be a better idea. Either way it’s up to you as long as it makes sense long term. You want to use that square in a way that makes it all look normal long term and not short term.

Always remember there are many that will encourage you to go for it. The majority of those types of responses are marketers and very poor ones at that. The better ones are much more subtle.

This represents a 4" square which is about 100 sq cm. Most considering a procedure should make a square. I tell it like it is from over 30 years of experience and no ties to this industry. Marketers seem to have a hard time with it.

011_zpsl6ufkewh.jpg

Last edited:

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
At 22 you are just too young. Young males are the most likely to be dissatisfied and, no disrespect, are often not emotionally ready to have a major and permanent procedure like hair transplant. Please wait.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
At 22 you are just too young. Young males are the most likely to be dissatisfied and, no disrespect, are often not emotionally ready to have a major and permanent procedure like hair transplant. Please wait.

I find that such a ridiculous and condescending comment to be honest. Not emotionally ready to stop being a genetically fucked up balding freak? Of course if we're talking about someone not on finasteride and unwilling or a norwood 2 with minor recession I would agree, and also if they haven't done their homework but otherwise it makes much more sense to get it done young than wait.

I mean what objective facts are you citing to make that claim? How is a young male more likely to be dissatisfied? The chances are exactly the same as a guy in his thirties.

As a 22 year old who has one, even if it doesn't turn out perfectly I'm fully aware of the consequences to my donor, long term strategy and that in the future I am likely going to go for more transplants. If anything it actually makes more sense to get it while you're young and forging the path of your adult existence than living your 20s being inhibited by employers and women who see you as having an image problem they don't want to deal with, or having friends who feel sorry for you and see you as fucked up and pathetic.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baldandafraid sometimes it’s best to change your surroundings if possible. The pressure you feel about hair at the moment is coming from within but it’s a result of what you are surrounded by. Here is an example. I spoke to one patient who regularly visited a Buddhist temple and after he stayed for an extended period of time he realized he never once thought about hair. It was after this realization that he regretted tattooing dots all over his head. Can it be that simple? To just change your surroundings. Maybe give it a try. I always like to recommend and MMA gym as a change of surroundings. Everyone there pretty much shaves their head and the women that train alongside them absolutely love it.

You have to understand at your age your prefrontal lobes have not fully developed. It is the reason those that are young are easy bait for marketers and the marketers know it. Wait a few years and you will feel less impulsive but it takes time so maybe get busy.

Sometimes the forums can be like the Greyhound bus stations back in the 70’s. Always the unsavory characters lurking in the dark corners waiting for the desperate runaway to get off the bus. It worked most of the time just like the little boy that hops into the van because the driver needs help finding his puppy. Be careful and stay aware evil intentions which making money at any cost is often hides behind a helping hand and a big smile. Right now you are easy bait no different then you being able to convince a 5 year old to do some thing.

In a few years you will be able to make a better decision and the landscape is changing rapidly. I just read the other day they are able to make blood from stem cells so donations may no longer be necessary. This is a pivotal moment in history don't make a hasty decision.

StevenDex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Topcat, get some time off, travel and do different things, this is such a big decision that requires more time to ponder and consider very carefully.. good luck!