Get Healthy They Said... Lose Weight They Said..

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was somewhat overweight for half my life. In my late teens I started exercising, eating better, all that. Then it started. My hair began to thin. Now I thought this was just a reaction to the weight loss and change in my lifestyle. It don't run in my family, ya know, early balding. Well, it didn't slow down. By the time I was 25 I had the hairline of a 60 year old. Needless to say, not doctor can help me. I may have abs but my fat left and took my hair with it.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
They're probably unrelated.

It doesn't run in my family. My grandfather has thinned hair but still a full head of it, my other grandfather dies young but with a full head of hair. My father has a full head as well. My mother has thinner hair but not balding or anything . Makes. No. Sense.

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard it can skip generations. Do you know what level of hair loss your great or great great grandparents had?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't run in my family. My grandfather has thinned hair but still a full head of it, my other grandfather dies young but with a full head of hair. My father has a full head as well. My mother has thinner hair but not balding or anything . Makes. No. Sense.

It does run in the family. Just way down the line. It's genetic. Your weight loss is unrelated.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does run in the family. Just way down the line. It's genetic. Your weight loss is unrelated.

How can it skip my father and my grandfather on both sides. That is what doesn't make sense. How far back does it have to go? To me, if it was genetics, one of my grandparents would have been bald.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard it can skip generations. Do you know what level of hair loss your great or great great grandparents had?

No but I will look in to it. My great grandfather on one side died before I was born and the other died when I was young so I don't remember. I will look for some pictures tomorrow.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
How can it skip my father and my grandfather on both sides. That is what doesn't make sense. How far back does it have to go? To me, if it was genetics, one of my grandparents would have been bald.

No, they don't have to be bald for you to be bald. Fact is; you got dealt a shitty hand with genetics.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, they don't have to be bald for you to be bald. Fact is; you got dealt a shitty hand with genetics.

Well this just sucks then. My sister, who is a dietitian said it could have been because of my diet but it would have self corrected itself by now. Ugggg. I need to find something that will change my genes. LOL

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I should also mention the exact genetic mechanisms behind hairloss are not well understood. It seems to be a combination of genes that cause balding.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It should be obvious from the patterns on people's heads thay baldness comes down to s lot more than 2 or 3 genes.

Will Resti

My Regimen
Reaction score
I should also mention the exact genetic mechanisms behind hairloss are not well understood. It seems to be a combination of genes that cause balding.

So you think it was my mom's blending with my dad's genes? I don't have a brother to compare myself to but my sister has really nice hair though but I know male/female genes are different.

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you think it was my mom's blending with my dad's genes? I don't have a brother to compare myself to but my sister has really nice hair though but I know male/female genes are different.
No way of knowing that. People used to say to look at your maternal grandfather as an indication of how bald you will be. Personally, I believe I'm taking after my father.

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
pics? @Will Resti if you start working out like a beast you also have to change your dietary habits to compensate for the calories. for example if you're not replacing all the iron your body is using up now that you're suddenly athletic, it could trigger a telegon effluvium, a type of diffuse hair loss that won't stop until you correct the deficiency.

post some pics of your hair if possible and we can give more informed opinions.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
You could compare the genes from cells in balding and non balding scalp to figure out what's reposnsible for it, but it would take decades lol. Maybe in the future, but definitely not in our lifetime. Way easier to fight upregulations in the body.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ALL the men in my family lost their hair after they turned 45-50. It was rapid in some, slow as a snail in others.
Here i am, having a receding hairline with diffuse thinning at only 20.
Sucks but genes are not to underestimated.

This is one of the reasons i hate Superman.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
ALL the men in my family lost their hair after they turned 45-50. It was rapid in some, slow as a snail in others.
Here i am, having a receding hairline with diffuse thinning at only 20.
Sucks but genes are not to underestimated.

This is one of the reasons i hate Superman.

superman recedes too

henry-cavill-hides-superman-costume.jpg

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
It should be obvious from the patterns on people's heads thay baldness comes down to s lot more than 2 or 3 genes.

No way of knowing that. People used to say to look at your maternal grandfather as an indication of how bald you will be. Personally, I believe I'm taking after my father.

These two posts make the most sense.
I once translated a genetic thesis from English to Italian and I saw that it is possible to say that a specific parent passes a genetic mutation only when that mutation is limited (one or a few deletions, insertions etc.)

Since hairloss is determined by many genes (otherwise they would have found the one already) then I believe that, like pretty much everything else in the body, genes of both parents come into play.

No one has my same baldness aggressivity in my mother's family. They do in my father's.
YMMV.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm a woman i have Androgenetic Alopecia and anemic--the anemia made the Androgenetic Alopecia happen earlier...the hair loss surgeon told me working on my iron will help my treatments of minoxidil and spironolactone work better.

I don't know if your anemic though. You would have to get a panel of blood test to see if you are deficient in anything.

If its just deficiency it will reverse. If its Androgenetic Alopecia it won't--if its both some may come back i don't know.