Genetics question

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
How often does someone have a bald father, but never actually go bald? Does one side of the family play a larger role in passing on the gene than the other?

My father is bald and so is everyone in that side of the family. They hit NW2 area around 16, and are usually pretty thin on top by 18 or 19. My maternal grandfather was a NW2 in his 70's and so was everyone else on that side of the family.

I'm 18 and haven't lose any hair. I have very thick, dark hair like my mom's side of the family. What are the chances I will lose my hair soon?

M

macimate

I would like to know this aswell.

My dad's father is an Norwood 5-6 his brothers were the same or worse - My dad started to diffuse at around 28 - he's now an NW5 at 53, his brother was SLICK BALD (NW6,5 /7) at quite young, probably around 25. Their maternal grandfather was quite bald aswell I think though.

My half brother (on dad's side) started losing his hair aggressively at around 19 and was an NW4 at 25. His maternal grandfather was bald aswell though (Norwood 6).

My mother's father receded to a deep NW2 at about 25 years old, and has stayed the same ever since.

I seem to have the same hair texture/color as my maternal grandfather, but as you might imagine I am very nervous about what the future has in store for me.

I think it's a lottery really though, but I believe that if your dad has the horseshoe there is a greater chance of going bald no matter how great your maternal grandfather's hair is..

sly_fox

Reaction score
Well I have to agree it is a lottery. From my mothers side none of the males have gone bald. My maternal grandfather and all of his brothers have insanely thick straight Elvis hair and they are all above 75 yrs old. My dad has 7 brothers and only 2 of them have the horseshoe patter (my dad included) and 1 is NW2 the rest have extremely good hair including my paternal grandfather who just recently started thinning at the age of 86. Both my 2 older brothers lost their hair around 20-22 yrs of age, one with a diffuse NW6 pattern and the other with a very pronounced NW4 pattern. I on the other hand just turned 24 and im only starting to see some minor thinning in my temples and vertex.

So to summarize my story, even with pretty good genetics from both sides, my dads horseshoe pattern apparently screwed me and my brothers.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
It's like that with me, my mum's side of the family, while they're all mainly girls, her father had thick hair, no receding hair line until his 50's, that's when he started to lose hair (judging from photos). My dad's side of the family is the one that i got screwed with, while he has a good set of thick hair with only a minor receding hair line in his late 40's, one of his brothers is completely bald, while the other is in the middle. And the one who is bald, has a son who has a thick set of hair i would die for, he's even a year older than me! Bloody hell..

Autumn Sundown

Established Member
Reaction score
Draco88 said:
It's like that with me, my mum's side of the family, while they're all mainly girls, her father had thick hair, no receding hair line until his 50's, that's when he started to lose hair (judging from photos). My dad's side of the family is the one that i got screwed with, while he has a good set of thick hair with only a minor receding hair line in his late 40's, one of his brothers is completely bald, while the other is in the middle. And the one who is bald, has a son who has a thick set of hair i would die for, he's even a year older than me! Bloody hell..

Jeeze, genes are such a crazy thing...