generica finasteride in the USA: i has it

savemyhair

Reaction score
went to refill my prescription today in NYC and the pharmacy gave me generic finasteride. total came out to ~$184 for 90 pills. not the savings ($10) i was expecting!

Liron1991

Reaction score
hey

did you buy a generic finasteride in a legit pharamacy in the us?..

i read in wikipedia that the patent will expire only in more 2 monthes .. november 2013 ..

which company did you buy ??

cbtrc

Reaction score
i read in wikipedia that the patent will expire only in more 2 monthes .. november 2013 ..
In 2 months or in November?
savemyhair, was it 1mg finasteride?
For 5mg finasteride pack (30 tabs) i paid only 10 euro in pharmacy...

tr4mm

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I got mine at cvs.

It was Dr. Reddy's. I dont know how much I like this due to the fact that I know the FDA doesn't visit facilities located overseas as much (or at all) to make sure things are running properly.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
Same Here. It was Dr. Reddy's. I found this statement online.

"Dr. Reddy's Laboratories (NYS: RDY) announced today that is has launched Finasteride Tablets (1 mg), a bioequivalent generic version of Propecia® (Finasteride) Tablets in the US market on January 02, 2013. Dr. Reddy's ANDA for Finasteride 1 mg Tablets has been awarded a 180-day period of marketing exclusivity in the U.S. on 2 Jan, 2013."

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
Same here I went to pick up my prescription today from my local Target. They gave me 15 Propecia and 15 generics by Dr Reddy's. They only charged me for generics so it was $16 savings over the normal price I pay for 30 days. The generics are super tiny pills so it might not be a good idea for someone who only takes .5 or .25 daily vs the full 1meg

abcdefg

Reaction score
So how much cheaper is it compared to the real deal? I thought it didnt go generic until November of this year

adolobe

Established Member
Reaction score
So how much cheaper is it compared to the real deal? I thought it didnt go generic until November of this year

You will probably save 10-20 right now. US law gives the first generic to market a 6 month exclusive. Price wont come down till others enter the market. Im pretty sure every company that manufactures 5mg will roll out a 1mg option at that time

abcdefg

Reaction score
Since my hair is still in decent shape maybe I will wait some more months and then see a derm to get the generic version if I decide to ever try propecia. I really prefer to avoid it for a few years and maybe get CB 03 01 instead if I can wait that long. Propecia not really a drug I am fond of trying but its a tough choice because I value my hair a whole lot though too.

Jyn

Reaction score
Glad to hear a generic propecia is finally available in the USA. I pay $221 for 90 pills from Walmart so I'm hoping once generics become widely available, I can shave that in half at least.

Should there be any cause for concern at all that the generics will not be as potent or not operate exactly the same biologically compared to Propecia?

franky69

Reaction score
I'm work at a pharmacy here in the states. Generic 1mg finasteride is out there, its dr reddy's.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah I would like to see it 30 a month or less. Then I am cutting it into 1/4s basically cutting that price in another fourth then it will be feasible if I decide to try it. I really really would prefer to avoid propecia maybe lose hair another 3 years and get on CB 03 01 or something else instead to just avoid this whole lower DHT systemically thing

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it might sound funny, but I am struggling a bit with switching from name brand to generic. I guess it's a piece of mind thing. Does anyone have any doubts that one is more/less effective than the other?

Thanks

abcdefg

Reaction score
They go over it every year that generics are regulated to nearly match the original drug. Its the same thing except you save a whole lot of money so more companies making it is good thing for everyone. As long as they are generics being made in the US and have to follow our laws.

tr4mm

Reaction score
They go over it every year that generics are regulated to nearly match the original drug. Its the same thing except you save a whole lot of money so more companies making it is good thing for everyone. As long as they are generics being made in the US and have to follow our laws.

Too bad I dont think Dr. Reddy's is made in the USA. Its based in India. Also, looking it up I came across this:

http://www.pharmalot.com/2011/06/fda-warns-dr-reddy-over-bad-ingredients-in-us/

Apparently Dr. Reddy's has been in trouble with the FDA already......

....I think I'm gonna switch back to propecia, especially since the generic is not much cheaper.