Generic Propecia at Walgreens, is it the same?

abcdefg

Reaction score
If your getting the generic from a real store in US and its generic then it follows all the normal guidelines for generics so it has regulations saying it has to be the same as the brand name stuff. Tons of drugs have generic versions there is no reason not to use the cheapest generics they are all the same thing.

rudimentary

Established Member
Reaction score
You're getting it from Wallgreens, the most reputable chain of pharmacies in the USA.

Come on. :uglylol:

Reaction score
I know guys, thanks!

Was just worried when it had a brand name on it. Dr. Reddy Labs.....just seemed odd!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't stress buying something from a big time pharmacy. It would be so asinine for them to fake that. Think about it, they get busted for fake finasteride (which probably composes 0.0000000000001% of their sales) and they lose tons of business as they are seen as shady.

Also, I'm modestly familiar with Dr. Reddy Labs - I think they make dutasteride as well. I'm taking finasteride from a pharmacy in India; if anyone should be sketched, it should be me.:mrgreen:

volagsrule

Reaction score
I just picked up mine from CVS and I also got the generic, without even asking for it. Cost $69.99 for 30 tablets instead of the usual $90.00. Dr. Reddy labs has an exclusivity right for 6 months, at the end of which more generics will enter the market. According to the FDA web site as soon as there is more than one generic the price usually falls by about 50%.

As far as concerns about it being a foreign company, Dr Reddy has many plants including one in the US. I don't know if it is made there.

However, I was just looking at some of my old Propecia bottles (Merck produced Propecia) and it says right on the bottle “Active Ingredient Finasteride: Made in UK” or “Active Ingredient Finasteride: Made In Italy”.

All my bottles of Propecia from the past couple of years say the active ingredient (Finasteride) is made in either Italy or the UK. This is U.S. Propecia purchased in CVS in NYC.

Thus the notion that Merck is safer because it’s US made (as I used to think) really isn’t true. Merck produces the very thing that makes Propecia what it is (finasteride) in foreign countries. It says it right on the bottle.

Wysc

Reaction score
I know guys, thanks!

Was just worried when it had a brand name on it. Dr. Reddy Labs.....just seemed odd!

In fact, a lot of brand drugs are also made in India. Plus, Dr. Reddy Labs is a very reputable manufacturer in India.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
There's no generic propecia, you have to get generic proscar and quarter them. For me, it cost me a grand total of $4 for 8 pills. So, $24 for 6 months of it.

beaner

Reaction score
There's no generic propecia, you have to get generic proscar and quarter them. For me, it cost me a grand total of $4 for 8 pills. So, $24 for 6 months of it.

Ummm....the OP stated that Walgreen's has it, a poster below him says he bought it, and a brief search will tell you that 1 mg Dr Reddy's finasteride is currently available in U.S. pharmacies and others will follow suit in June.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah in 180 days other companies can make it so the price should drop a lot more over time which of course is good for everyone. If you ever wanted to try propecia but couldnt afford it you now have a good time to try soon. So its good news and gives other companies more profit potential like CB 03 01 for bringing a new treatment to the table so its nothing but good news.

Jyn

Reaction score
I got my Propecia rx refilled at Walmart today. I previously paid $221 for 90 days of Propecia, today I paid $132 for 90 of the generic version from Dr. Reddy's. I didn't request the generic, they just refilled it with the generic which I didn't have a problem with given the savings. Let's hope I don't experience any weird side effects switching brands like increased shedding, testicular pain, etc.

A

Allen Parks

Yeah in 180 days other companies can make it so the price should drop a lot more over time which of course is good for everyone. If you ever wanted to try propecia but couldnt afford it you now have a good time to try soon. So its good news and gives other companies more profit potential like CB 03 01 for bringing a new treatment to the table so its nothing but good news.
CB 03 01?

masonuc

Reaction score
It has now been 11 months since Dr. Reddy's came on the market and CVS and Walgreen's (and perhaps others) still sell generic finasteride at the outrageous price of $70/month. I just purchased some online from a US registered pharmacy for about 1/4 that cost but it's a hassle. I wish someone would investigate what is going on here -- are CVS and Walgreen's just keeping the prices high on the theory that some customers won't know and will continue to pay the higher price? Has no other generic entered the market? It's a real shame that people are being scammed.

@

@X@ WEBSITE I USED TO BUY

Thanks for the thread. I've only ever been on the generic, finasteride, and for me it works really well. Our insurance doesn't cover the name brand...I wonder how expensive the name brand is as opposed to the generic...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy heck that's expensive. I pay 11€ for 30 tablets of 5mg, i cut them into quarters and have 120 tablets.