Generic minoxidil

Adz

Reaction score
Hi All,

Iv noticed generic minoxidil is far cheaper than the Phizer brand Rogaine. Im just wondering does anyone use it? (Kirkland) & of so, is it as effective in hairline stimulation, when used with Proscar?

Cheers

Sean68

Reaction score
yeah theyre the same. i use kirkland its made by phizer i think. not sure why theres such a price difference.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
yup its the same as rogaine,ive used both kirkland and rogaine,i think its cheaper simply so they can squeeze every last penny out of the market,if some guy who thinks rogaine is too expensive but wants to use minoxidil he can buy kirkland.

of course many people use it cos it is cheaper and not cos they cant afford the rogaine,but some people always wanna use the apparent better quailty version.

and yup i use kirkland and proscar/fincar and its slow but im seeing results along the hairline :hairy:

jcinzano

Reaction score
when the generic first came out, it used a different non-active-ingredient base. it was less oily, more water-feeling. but the problem it was it didn't soak in as well, it dried really fast.

as a result, i've been paying extra for the name-brand stuff for awhile

does anybody know if the base has changed in the generic since then? to have a consistancy like the regular?

Bod

Reaction score
Rogaine is made by Pfizer
Kirlands is made by Pfizer

I can't see the point in paying extra money just for a different bottle, see the image below which I got from minoxidilshop.com

jcinzano

Reaction score
has anybody else looked at this? does the generic use a less expensive/different inactive ingredient?

hairynewyork

Reaction score
jcinzano said:
has anybody else looked at this? does the generic use a less expensive/different inactive ingredient?

I'm not sure about all generics, but I just looked at an empty bottle of rite-aid minoxidil I had laying around, and all of the ingredients are exactly the same as 5% extra strength rogaine, including the inactive ingredients.

Active Ingredient: Minoxidil 5% w/v.
Inactive Ingredients: Alcohol 30% v/v, Propylene Glycol 50% v/v, and Purified Water.