Generic Finasteride...?

MaluLani

Reaction score
Well I am thinning on the top of my head and crown area, it's very noticable after I get out of the shower and it is depressing cause I love to swim and I haven't been able to cause I don't want stupid comments from friends and I hate people noticing it.

•So how exactly do I get started on finasteride?
•I don't have insurance and i'm a college student. Is it possible to buy a 6 month supply all at once?
•Also does splitting the generic proscar or whatever it's called work just as good?
•How much does a dermatologist cost?
•I know about the side effects but I'd seriously rather take those than go bald, but is there anything else I need to know?

•(also is there anything that can help conceal my hair loss while swimming? I have medium length hair and it's dark so when it's wet and sunny my scalp will show and I don't want that. Does DermMatch work good for those situations?)

DeanHarryThomas

Reaction score
I don't use any concealers since my hair loss is not too noticeable yet ( I hope!) but I have heard (or read) that DerMatch is much better than toppik when it comes to swimming or rain etc.

You could use a swimming cap I guess, but yeah , I know, not very practical and people will wonder why you wear it all of a sudden. I don't think you should give up something you love because of your male pattern baldness problem though.

I have just recently started taking generic finasteride, not proscar but some generic version from India. I have heard mixed reviews about these generic versions but I think if you buy it from a reputable source you should be fine. I bought a 1 year supply, but I'm not sure how it works if you get a propecia or proscar prescription. Like I said, if you can find a reliable source for a generic version then it should be fine, I think there are some links on this site where you can order finpecia which many people seem to be using.

Hang in there dude, I know it sucks big time, but don't let it control your life to the point that you won't even go swimming!

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
i split a 5mg proscar tablet into 4s.

Iv used the stuff from inhouse pharmacy and its worked well.

dermatch is amazing, one container lasts for ages and is pretty cheap, no1 has ever noticed i use it on my crown, not even my girlfrind who always runs her hands through my hair, (use less rather than more).

do not use any concealer in your hair when swimming, it will wash out. Pick a time of day when ppl you know wont be there if it bothers you that much.