Generic Dutasteride Vs Avodart- Any Efficacy Issues?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed reduced efficacy when their pharmacy changed generics or when you changed from Avodart to generic dutasteride. I normally use all generic drugs, but I've read a few anecdotes indicating significant variability between generic dutas manufacturers.

Camber Pharma stands out as one the has some negative reviews. I picked up my first bottle of dutas yesterday and sure enough, it's Camber Pharma :(

Is anyone using Camber Pharma?

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am taking Camber dutasteride from Costco for about a month now. Seems to be working. I def noticed the increase in T and this is coming from 4 years of finasteride use.

I think the issue is not generic effectiveness more so as it is changing brands constantly. The active ingredient is the same but the inactives can be different which may possibly affect how the drug is absorbed and distributed within the body. I took generic finasteride for 4 years and when the pharmacy changed brands (Camber to Aurobindo) I noticed shedding. Plenty of ppl have success with Aurobindo brand. So I think the issue is to not constantly change brands, which is hard since if you take generic, it is completely up to the pharmacy what they want to stock ( they will go for the cheapest deal).

I am thinking about just buying the Glaxosmith Avodart manufactured in Turkey from inhouse once it is in stock again to avoid this issue. It is essentially as cheap as generic.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Then you shouldn’t be worried
There are variations bt generics and brand-the question is whether they affect the parameters that matter. Also, all the impurity issues we read about in the news are from generics (eg valsartan), not brand. these are mostly made in india. The FDA supposedly does lots of checks, but the FDA only has so much bandwidth. Generic manufacturers look at the synthesis and forumlation of brand, then try to find the cheapest way possible to pass FDA scrutiny. Still, I fully agree that in most cases, the differences are insignificant.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am taking Camber dutasteride from Costco for about a month now. Seems to be working. I def noticed the increase in T and this is coming from 4 years of finasteride use.

I think the issue is not generic effectiveness more so as it is changing brands constantly. The active ingredient is the same but the inactives can be different which may possibly affect how the drug is absorbed and distributed within the body. I took generic finasteride for 4 years and when the pharmacy changed brands (Camber to Aurobindo) I noticed shedding. Plenty of ppl have success with Aurobindo brand. So I think the issue is to not constantly change brands, which is hard since if you take generic, it is completely up to the pharmacy what they want to stock ( they will go for the cheapest deal).

I am thinking about just buying the Glaxosmith Avodart manufactured in Turkey from inhouse once it is in stock again to avoid this issue. It is essentially as cheap as generic.
Correctly me if I'm mistaken, but isnt' avodart a gel cap? The bottle I just got from Camber has capsules with powder in it. Oil-based delivery can have dramatically different effects vs. powders on the pharmacokinetic profile, which is usually very much related to efficacy.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just wish to God I knew how to get dutasteride. I'm on finasteride for three months, I plan on giving it a year, but if it fails me I'll make the switch.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are variations bt generics and brand-the question is whether they affect the parameters that matter. Also, all the impurity issues we read about in the news are from generics (eg valsartan), not brand. these are mostly made in india. The FDA supposedly does lots of checks, but the FDA only has so much bandwidth. Generic manufacturers look at the synthesis and forumlation of brand, then try to find the cheapest way possible to pass FDA scrutiny. Still, I fully agree that in most cases, the differences are insignificant.

Usually generics are the same... usually. There are times when they aren't though, take my dad who uses expensive eye drops for glaucoma, he found a cheap generic option but after a month of use his symptoms got much worse, he went back to his old brand and his symptoms cleared up. It is possible for the generic to effect the user differently.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correctly me if I'm mistaken, but isnt' avodart a gel cap? The bottle I just got from Camber has capsules with powder in it. Oil-based delivery can have dramatically different effects vs. powders on the pharmacokinetic profile, which is usually very much related to efficacy.

The camber dutasteride that I have is a gel cap. Dissolved in

Inactive Ingredients:

dutasteride dissolved in mono-di-glycerides of caprylic/capric acid, butylated hydroxytoluene; capsule shell contains ferric oxide yellow, gelatin, glycerin, titanium dioxide; capsules printed with black ink containing black iron oxide, hypromellose, propylene glycol
From http://camberpharma.com/products/dutasteride-314

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The camber dutasteride that I have is a gel cap. Dissolved in

Inactive Ingredients:

dutasteride dissolved in mono-di-glycerides of caprylic/capric acid, butylated hydroxytoluene; capsule shell contains ferric oxide yellow, gelatin, glycerin, titanium dioxide; capsules printed with black ink containing black iron oxide, hypromellose, propylene glycol
From http://camberpharma.com/products/dutasteride-314

How do you get it? Is there are way to get a legal online prescription?

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you get it? Is there are way to get a legal online prescription?
https://www.medicalwellnesscenter.com/ They will send it to pharmacy of your choice if approved.

You could also just order it online and start taking it, then go to Dr and say you want a prescription so that you can take the drug you are already taking under medical supervision. Most doctors won't refuse this if they know you will take it regardless.

Maxihair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used both generic and brand dutasteride. They work the same, there is no difference to me. Generic is way cheaper. Just Google "STOP99BALD" :) to find reliable source.

Last edited:

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only generic Dutasteride that worked well for me was from Breckenridge Pharma (manufactured in New Zealand). Camber (India) was the worse and it takes about 4 months to notice the difference after the switch. At first I didn't care to check the manufacturer until my hair was falling out below baseline. I then got the prescription history print out and saw they had switched me to Camber 4 months back. I immediately requested Breckenridge again and sure enough saw improvement 3 weeks later. Sadly, Breckenridge was discontinued after that refill. Amneal is not good either. I'm on the Avodart brand now and it's working great. That's my experience...take it for what it's worth.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only generic Dutasteride that worked well for me was from Breckenridge Pharma (manufactured in New Zealand). Camber (India) was the worse and it takes about 4 months to notice the difference after the switch. At first I didn't care to check the manufacturer until my hair was falling out below baseline. I then got the prescription history print out and saw they had switched me to Camber 4 months back. I immediately requested Breckenridge again and sure enough saw improvement 3 weeks later. Sadly, Breckenridge was discontinued after that refill. Amneal is not good either. I'm on the Avodart brand now and it's working great. That's my experience...take it for what it's worth.
Thank you! I've heard about this a few times, and Camber seems to be the culprit each time. I just found out from my pharmacy that avodart is being discontinued so supplies will start drying up.

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Man that would suck if they discontinued. I'll have to call GSK to confirm. Where are you located Obsessive?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m in the US. The discontinuation should apply to all states. GSK overseas may still continue to make it, not sure.
Please do let me know what you find out. My pharmacy ordered Avo and claimed there were about 35 bottles (30 count) left in the US. 215$ per bottle

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
I paid $602 for three bottles and that's with GoodRx. I'm willing to keep paying that for hair. Wish Breckenridge hadn't discontinued. I'll let you know what GSK says.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just found out from my pharmacy that avodart is being discontinued so supplies will start drying up.

This makes no sense and I don't believe it. Maybe they mean a certain brand of generic but the actual brand name, I will only believe it when I see it.