General Questions On Hairloss & Treatments

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a 27y old male and I always had some temples but nothing serious; Last year in September I started to notice really significant hair loss (The hair was all over the place; Whenever I was at my desk there were hairs lying around, when I was eating, I found some hairs in my food, when I was brushing my hair I had like 200 hairs in my brush); I was hoping for telogen effluvium but after things did not get better after 3 or 4 months I started using Finasteride + Oral Minoxidil+Nizoral 2% and now things are back to normal, thankfully;

But with my ongoing treatment I also have some general questions:

1. Is Oral Minoxidil safe or does it make me age? I use around 5mg / day; If I use it topically, the systemic absorption would be around 2% so with 2ml of 5% Minoxidil, we would be at 2mg (2000*0.05*0.02); I try to counteract with retinol to boost collagen

2. Is it safe to take the oral minoxidil just with the topical solution? 1ml with 5% Minoxidil are around 50mg and around 40 drops; So I take 2 drops of Kirkland 5% solutin in the morning, 2 in the evening

3. What happens if I stop taking finasteride? If I only take Minoxidil for let's say 10 years and then stop, then within a short period of time, I'll lose all the hair that I prevented from falling out in these 10 years, so it is possible I go from full head of hair to bald in a few months; What happens if I stop finasteride after 10 years? Then I'd be 37; Did I then just pause my hairloss so I am losing my hair as if I am 27 or 28 again or am I also going to lose all my hair that I saved within the last 10 years within just a few months?

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
4. Should I use a cylce for finasteride? Like 3 weeks on, 1 week off or something like that? Will it really help/ will my body really otherwise get used to finasteride and upregulate DHT?
5. Does Topical Finasteride / Dutasteride really help?

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
You drink Kirkland?

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since most oral minoxidil comes in 10mg, cut it to 4. Around 2.5 mg of oral minoxidil per day is equivalent to putting 1 ml of topical minoxidil per day. You're good just by taking 2.5mg oral minoxidil per day, no need to use the topical. You can even lower the dose to 1mg (oral minoxidil per/day) if you experience sides like increase in heart beat, heart burn, or growing hairs in different parts of your body

If you are not taking finasteride or any dht blocker, the hair that you gain by minoxidil will fall out over time. Dht will caught up to you as the years go by and it will slowly over power the effectiveness of minoxidil. Time will come that minoxidil will no longer work for you if dht has caught up. I know the experience coz I've been there. minoxidil user for 2 years, then it stopped working. I started finasteride and I got back down to ground zero. I'm lucky that I respond well to finas and recovered a bit.

JohnnyB.

My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesnt really answer my questions but nevertheless it was interesting;

Mainly I am interested in two things: If finasteride starts to lose power (i.e. the amount of DHT blocked is not enough anymore to prevent the hair loss) - will I also lose all the hair that I kept with finasteride within a short period of time? As far as my understanding goes I will not, but want to make sure?

And the second most important question: Does it make sense to have a cycle for finasteride? Like 3 weeks on, 1 week off or sth like that?

Kambrira159

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesnt really answer my questions but nevertheless it was interesting;
And the second most important question: Does it make sense to have a cycle for finasteride? Like 3 weeks on, 1 week off or sth like that?

No this isn't steroids.