General Advice And Thoughts. Minoxidil And Nizoral

Temple Crown

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forums. I'm currently 30 years old and started receding at 20. By 24 my crown could be seen through thinning hair. The hair loss has always bothered me but now I'm out of a long term relationship it's mentally stepped up a few notches.

What looked like a N3 vertex, suddenly became a N4+ after finally buzzing down to a 0 guard. The V between the temples had started to thin so I bit the bullet. Head shapes not great, shines, mole and a scar. It's been getting me down and it seems taking the plunge means people can start cracking the jokes? Anyway it's finding potential mates thats the main concern as it does age me up.

Crown looks better after a fresh buzz. But face on and otherwise in general I'd say I look better after 48 hours of growth. So buzzing every three days. It grows fast! Always has... just now it's in the wrong places.

Started using minoxidil and nizoral three months ago. I know at N4 i cant expect a miricle, the temples are gone for sure but at 30 that isnt a major concern. but if it ment i could avoid all out razor shaving and stick with electric for longer that would be good. If I could dial it back a couple of years, fill out the crown and V a bit that would be great. Unfortunately my before picture was before the buzzcut so hard to compare. Bit of shedding. I can see little dark hairs coming in the frontal V and loads of vellus white hairs everywhere, over the crown and even on the long gone temples. So I guess I'm responding somewhat. Can these white vellus hairs ever gain colour? I've also added lipogaine big 3 shampoo to the routine.

I have lots to ask so I guess I'll post a bit more over time. The main thing which may impact me as of Monday is I've ordered finasteride. I really didn't want to do this but I have been getting depressed about it and bought it while feeling down. Obviously I'm scared like everybody else about the side effects and I may not actually take them... until I spiral out in depression again I guess. I'd much rather stick with topicals.

So is it really only 2% chance of side effects do we think? I see many people mentioning watery semen, which I would assume impacts fertility. While some mention the other sexual side effects. It's almost as if 50% of forum posts claim to have had some sort of side effects. Does that mean 50% of people are seeing sides or the people with sides are more talkative than others?

Open to any general advice! Are there any other topicals I could add to my routine?

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Remember that the people who post on forums continually are the ones that are having side effects, or not responding or generally still unhappy with their hair. There are many cases of people posting about their great success with finasteride, but they become inactive and move on because their hair has recovered. So it always seems that forum posts are biased because here, people are asking for help not gloating about success.

Imo, nizoral isn't anything special, it'll be good to help illeviate itchiness though. If you want to maintain you'll need to get on finasteride, the first few months are always hard but if you can overcome the psychology of it, it can help you maintain and stop progression of hair loss.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the truth, I stopped coming on here when I was satisfied with my hair because the atmosphere was generally depressing. But after discontinuing minoxidil due to finances my hair at the temples is getting significantly worse that I find myself on here just as a reminder that I'm not alone in the struggle. It should be noted that Minoxidil is honestly your best bet if you're aiming for minor regrowth, as finasteride will generally just halt.

hasin5

My Regimen
Reaction score
There was someone on reddit that was able to regrow with just biotin, minoxidil and nizoral. Also, regarding the finasteride... it's more effective to take while taking a shampoo like nizoral.

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was someone on reddit that was able to regrow with just biotin, minoxidil and nizoral. Also, regarding the finasteride... it's more effective to take while taking a shampoo like nizoral.

Yes, does not surprise me since biotin can speed up hair growth and minoxidil can grow. I think in the long term Minoxidil work way better with Finasteride. What we really need is an effective topical dht blocker to get fda approved.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try your finasteride. Don't die wondering. I had sides, but glad I tried it otherwise I'd still be wondering "what if?" to this day.

Chances are you won't notice anything on it, just more hair on your head

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
I never got any sexual sides but I did get quite severe fatigue and 'brain fog' on finasteride. After a couple of months i'm not sure if I just adjusted to it, but coming off the finasteride was night and day.

finasteride wasn't for me (made no difference to my hair) but I'm glad I can say I tried it