Geez, I'm starting to think minoxidil killed my cat

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Had to put my cat to sleep a few months ago because she could hardly move or breath and the vets said fluid built up in her lungs.

I just read that these are symptoms in cats that come into contact with minoxidil. That revelation kind of opened old wounds and I'm starting to feel guilty about that.

I'm not sure where she would have ingested it though, I just hope I didn't cause it!

Just venting, anyone else inadvertently kill their pet? :/

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Thom said:
Had to put my cat to sleep a few months ago because she could hardly move or breath and the vets said fluid built up in her lungs.

I just read that these are symptoms in cats that come into contact with minoxidil. That revelation kind of opened old wounds and I'm starting to feel guilty about that.

I'm not sure where she would have ingested it though, I just hope I didn't cause it!

Sorry for your loss. I keep mine in the bathroom shelf as I have caught my 14-15 year old loitering in the bathroom and trying to drink out of the toliet.
For some reason she has been trying to drink out the sinks quite a bit lately, lncluding the kitchen sink as well. Again sorry for your loss...

B

Beingbaldsucks

oldmpber said:
Thom said:

Sorry for your loss. I keep mine in the bathroom shelf as I have caught my 14-15 year old loitering in the bathroom and trying to drink out of the toliet.
For some reason she has been trying to drink out the sinks quite a bit lately, lncluding the kitchen sink as well. Again sorry for your loss...
Mine used to drink out of the sink too, even when we gave him tons of water, god cats are so dumbb

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Beingbaldsucks said:
god cats are so dumbb

Good quote opportunity there for the taking...

Misspelled dumb. Idiot.

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Beingbaldsucks said:
oldmpber said:
Thom said:

Mine used to drink out of the sink too, even when we gave him tons of water, god cats are so dumbb

Any idea what the sink drinking is about? This just started about 1-2 months ago. I feel sorry for her as my family has died and she is all alone during the day and she is used to being around a lot of people and wondering if it is something to do with that.

andersonlynch

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss dude! Just keep your minoxidil on a safe place next time!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the words guys! Yeah, she drank out of the sink so I'm thinking that might be it. She would sit by the sink while I put the miox in my hair though so I probably pet her and later she probably ingested it when cleaning herself.

Like I said, that was months ago, but until recently I just thought she had a heart problem until I read about the symptoms of minoxidil poisoning. Definitely changing my habits with my other cat now. I'm a dog person myself, but trust me you don't want to witness the kind of pain minoxidil poisoning does to an animal. It's slow and painful unfortunately. Live and learn though!

barcafan

Reaction score
oldmpber said:
Thom said:

Dude you better take that post down or someone is going to call child services on you

B

Beingbaldsucks

barcafan said:
oldmpber said:
Thom said:

Dude you better take that post down or someone is going to call child services on you
He talked about a cat not a child

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The thread itself? I assure you it's serious. I thought my cat just had worms or some heart condition until I read the symptoms of minoxidil poisoning itself, and it 'clicked.' I would discard it if it wasn't her routine to sit on the sink while I applied it to my hair, I would routinely pet her too so I must have got some on her fur or maybe even she drank some minoxidil/water out of the sink. Anyway, I hope this comes as a fair warning to cat owners.

I assure you, if you have a heart it's a hard thing to watch. It was slow and painful, and I didn't decide to put her down until three days into the illness because I hoped she would turn around.

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Thom said:
The thread itself? I assure you it's serious. I thought my cat just had worms or some heart condition until I read the symptoms of minoxidil poisoning itself, and it 'clicked.' I would discard it if it wasn't her routine to sit on the sink while I applied it to my hair, I would routinely pet her too so I must have got some on her fur or maybe even she drank some minoxidil/water out of the sink. Anyway, I hope this comes as a fair warning to cat owners.

I assure you, if you have a heart it's a hard thing to watch. It was slow and painful, and I didn't decide to put her down until three days into the illness because I hoped she would turn around.

Yea I don't think I could do it. Like I said, mine is 14 and surprising doing well.

Thanks for the warning and again sorry for your loss.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated, glad to hear your cat is doing well. I'm sure they'll be fine as long as you keep an eye out.

cuebald

Reaction score
emex4 said:
Hmmm. Not sure if serious...

minoxidil is known to be very toxic to cats : ( there are stories of cats with patchy hair loss, their owner put some minoxidil on them thinking it would help grow fur, and the cat died

pets93

Reaction score
I have a cat myself and I'm applying minoxidil two times each day (day/night) and been doing this for quite some time now and there hasn't been any problems with my cat so far at least.

I do wash my hands extremley throughoutley each time after i've used the dropper, and even then I dont try to pet her for at least a hour.

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, in case you do not know Tylenol is very bad as well. I rescued a sick cat on the side of the road once and vet said most likely Tylenol poisoning.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I never knew that either, thanks for the info! I used to routinely use Tylenol pm to sleep until I found out about its damaging effects on the liver, now I just sleep naturally and founf out that I get better rest that way, even if I sleep less hours. I have some Tylenol nightime cough syrup I had to use for sickness a couple weeks ago so I'll be sure to keep it away from my cat. They like to taste everything in sight haha.