Gdnf Promotes Hair Formation And Cutaneous Wound Healing By Targeting Bulge Stem Cells (mice)

inmyhead

Reaction score
Warning! Mice study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293257/#MOESM2

...Our findings show that GDNF promotes hair formation and cutaneous would healing in mice. Both recombinant and transgene overexpression of GDNF promoted BSC colony growth, hair formation, and skin repair after wounding, while genetic ablation of Ret within BSCs prevented the onset of the hair cycle, the anagen induction of depilated hair follicles, and reduced the rate of wound closure. GDNF has previously been suggested to play a role in the natural hair cycle, however its function within BSCs has never been tested. Our data show that GDNF protein is present predominantly within the interfollicular space and in the vicinity of sebaceous glands, while single-cell sequencing results from mouse skin reveal that Gdnf transcripts are present in both bulge hair follicle stem cells, as well as keratinocytes of the interfollicular epidermis (Joost et al. 2016), suggesting that GDNF could be acting on more than one cell type within the skin. GDNF and its receptor GFRA1 are also expressed in human skin and show an age dependent decline[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960578/]....

What increases it?
Calorie restriction – Significantly increases GDNF (along with other neurotrophic factors such as BDNF and neurotrophin-3) in the brain and gut nervous systems
Exercise – Exercise increases GDNF in the spinal cords of both young and old rats
Stress reduction – Stress negatively impacts GDNF levels, and avoiding it can be a great way to boost GDNF, along with many other health benefits

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been in deficit of 500-700 calories daily, strength training & cardio for past 2 months and only losing more hair to go with it...

I think the reduction in serum estrogen that comes with getting lean is more damaging than whatever the increase in this GDNF can make up for...

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much? Is that not a form of (cortisol-spiking) stress?

Not much. Most of the days it's just brisk-paced walking, I don't go overboard with the cardio (trying to preserve as much muscle mass as I can).

I do some moderate-intensity cycling maybe once a week.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not much. Most of the days it's just brisk-paced walking, I don't go overboard with the cardio (trying to preserve as much muscle mass as I can).

I do some moderate-intensity cycling maybe once a week.
Do you consume much simple carbs?