GABA, sleep, and HGH

CCS

Reaction score
There is a cheap supplement called GABA that some body builders take because they think it helps them sleep, and makes more growth hormone.

Well, supposedly it can't cross the blood brain barrior. Many sites sing its praises, but I finally found reports saying that the study in the 70's that claimed it increased HGH production 5x was never reproduced, even with many attempts. Another study found it increased levels when taken before exercise, but they had a small group and tested for HGH, not IGF1. HGH comes out randomly in big spikes, so the results could be by chance in the small group. As for sleep, people say it makes their face tingle and relaxes them to sleep. I took some, and it did make my face tingle, and did relax my muscles, but did not make me fall asleep. I guess it could help, but it is not guaranteed at all. After 10 minutes of tingling, the tingling went away and I was back to normal. I still say the best way to fall asleep fast is to masterbate.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Taurine and glutamine do cross the blood/brain barrier, are GABA precursors and are much cheaper than GABA.

arison

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
. I still say the best way to fall asleep fast is to masterbate.

lol thats the truth

GABA can mess with your head too if u take it too long.

cuebald

Reaction score
Don't Benzo's (Diazepam, Alprazolam etc) work on the GABA receptors?
I've never taken GABA. If it did affect the CNS I'd expect it to work at least a little like a benzo.

CCS

Reaction score
I read about some drugs that either help produce GABA, mimic it, or work like a different kind or something. I don't remember their names. I just remember they are addictive and stop working after a while. Yeah, I'm not going to take GABA.

I also think it is dumb for young guys to inject HGH. All that will happen is your body will make less of it, and it takes many months for your body to start processing it to IGF1. Guys over 60 who don't make as much have much less to lose though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
CCS said:
I also think it is dumb for young guys to inject HGH. All that will happen is your body will make less of it...

Pearson & Shaw state specifically in one of their books that injecting GH does NOT decrease normal human GH release (doesn't downregulate GH, in other words). They say that's been investigated, and here's the source they cite: Gerich et al, "Effects of Physiologic Levels of Glucagon and Growth Hormone on Human Carbohydrate and Lipid Metabolism", J Clin Invest 57:875-884 (1985).

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
CCS said:
I also think it is dumb for young guys to inject HGH. All that will happen is your body will make less of it...

Pearson & Shaw state specifically in one of their books that injecting GH does NOT decrease normal human GH release (doesn't downregulate GH, in other words). They say that's been investigated, and here's the source they cite: Gerich et al, "Effects of Physiologic Levels of Glucagon and Growth Hormone on Human Carbohydrate and Lipid Metabolism", J Clin Invest 57:875-884 (1985).

Thanks Bryan. I wish you would have told me that a month ago. :(

Actually, I'd have to check the source to see how long the study was. I heard it takes months for your body to start making more IGF1 from the extra HGH, and then it is the IGF1 that downregulates stuff, if not just the IGF1 receptor. So I'd have to see specifically what they tested for and how long the study ran.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
CCS said:
Bryan said:
CCS said:

Thanks Bryan. I wish you would have told me that a month ago. :(

Actually, I'd have to check the source to see how long the study was. I heard it takes months for your body to start making more IGF1 from the extra HGH, and then it is the IGF1 that downregulates stuff, if not just the IGF1 receptor. So I'd have to see specifically what they tested for and how long the study ran.

I took GABA powder for a while before to go to bed.. Feel like you are on mushrooms or something!!! BTW GABA powder will not release HGH if you don't go to ther Gym Hard core after taking it. If you want to sleep better at night ..Melatonin is way cheaper and does the job really well.! If you want the real HGH..Needle will give you results but without a prescription would you really trust it? but getting cheaper..
I Went on 2 cycles of IGF-1 and man this thing is just out of this world! Beat hand down everything else on the market.

Fred

CCS

Reaction score
How long does IGF1 last in the fridge, after water is added? Can you get 3 months? Or will it lose effectiveness? I heard something about acedic acid preserving it.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
BTW GABA powder will not release HGH if you don't go to ther Gym Hard core after taking it.

Then how do you know that the GH is coming from the GABA at all, and not just the exercise?

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
squeegee said:
BTW GABA powder will not release HGH if you don't go to ther Gym Hard core after taking it.

Then how do you know that the GH is coming from the GABA at all, and not just the exercise?

I read about that study, not the study itself. They had 12 participants, and they tested for growth hormone, not IGF1 in the blood. And you know how growth hormone levels go up and down suddenly throughout the day. So I don't trust it one bit.

Taking melatonin can make you groggy in the morning I heard, though this never happened to me. I normally fall asleep easily, unless I'm thinking hard about something and can't stop. I just wish I had something I could use once in a while for those nights when my mind is in an infinite loop.