future miniaturisation and the donor zone

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i can clearly see where the miniaturisation of my hair on top stops,about an inch before you get to where my head curves downwards at the back.This has not progressed any further for at least the last 4 or 5 years.I was wondering if anyone has any idea if the thinning pattern i have now will stop at where it is,will hair in the future miniaturise any further down the back of my head or can i consider this my safe zone?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Miniaturization in male pattern baldness is harsh in terms of the process by which hairloss occurs. Aside from disease processes, accelerated hairloss due to chemical or radiation treatment, hairloss follows a distinct pattern. Hair does not just... "fall out". It is a process seen microscopically as a decrease shaft caliber followed by a shedding. Not only are the follicles becoming terminal... gradually getting shorter and shorter in length over time... there is a marked decrease in the shaft caliber. Large follicular groups, i.e. 4's... become 3's, then 2's then 1's... then 0. At the same time, the shaft thickness is shrinking. It is obvious of the overall effect when thousands of these follicles are undergoing this change.

Below depicts two pictures from the same patient which clearly provides a look into this harsh reality.

hairch.jpg

haggis

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Falceros said:
libertine,

Unfortunately, hair loss is unpredictable and there is no way to guarantee that your hair loss will not progress further. Age and family history of hair loss may help you make an educated guess, but ultimately, it is not a guarantee.

Cheers,

Falc

I seem to be heading for the exact pattern as my father had, a norwood 5A when he was 60 years old, the top / crown area only thinned out though and was never slick bald, i think i could live with that when im 60, but like you say its no guarantee :(
haggis_38.JPG

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
many thanks everyone :D