Fut Surgery Recovery (and Scar) Questions I Have

HTCurious

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I'm thinking about getting a hair transplant, and I'm a bit torn between whether FUT or FUE is the way to go. On the one hand, FUT is more affordable, I'd be going to a great FUT doctor (Hasson & Wong), and since I'm not going to take finasteride*, I will likely need a second procedure at some point in my life, and I've been told that it's easier to do a second surgery after FUT than it is after FUE. So, for those reasons, I was originally dead-set on FUT.....

....But I have a question about the inevitable scar. I'm not worried about the appearance of the scar, as I have both heard and seen from many hair transplant doctors and patients that, in the right hands, a good hair transplant doctor can make a scar so undetectable that only the most trained eyes--who are actively looking for a scar--can spot it. So that doesn't worry me.

Here are the two things that do worry me, however:

#1: I've been told that, during the recovery from FUT surgery, I can't look down, otherwise I might stretch and perhaps even split the scar open. That's going to be problematic for me, because I have a small (and very hyper-active!) dog. So, how serious is the "can't look down" concern?

#2: I've been told that, during the recovery from FUT surgery, I will feel a tightness in the back of my scalp, but that it should eventually go away. When they say "go away," though, how literally do they mean that? Do they mean that the feeling of tightness really does completely go away with time, or do they mean that it never really goes away, and that one just gets used to it after a while?

Thanks very much in advance!

*PS: For those who inevitably ask why I'm not going to take finasteride, it's because, to be quite honest, I've been spooked by the stories I've read about permanent sexual dysfunction as a result of finasteride. I've been assured by multiple sources that that's extremely rare, and I believe them, but I'm also of the belief that that's simply way too big a deal to me to be worth the risk, even if the risk is incredibly small.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have had 2 FUT procedures.

#1 is total crap, you can look wherever you want.
#2 Yes you will feel tightness because there is less scalp, but that stretches and the sensation goes away after a week or two.

hair03

Reaction score
If you aren't willing to get on finasteride then you shouldn't have a procedure. You will most likely need 3 - 4 additional procedures after your first procedure down the road if you are not on finasteride.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I have had 2 FUT procedures.

#1 is total crap, you can look wherever you want.
#2 Yes you will feel tightness because there is less scalp, but that stretches and the sensation goes away after a week or two.

I second this. This was exactly my recent experience.