FUE vs Strip - money no object

EANYC

Reaction score
I'm 26, was on propecia between 22-24 but stopped because it was cauing liver problems. I will start Rogain now, and am in the process of choosing a hair transplant surgeon/procedure. If money were no object, which would you choose (FUE vs Strip)? I'm thinking of going with Armani to do the FUE method. Again, I had my payday, and I want the best procedure, I don't care the cost.

My mom's dad and brother were Norwood 6 in their early 20, bald by 21 (a really bad sign). My dad is at the same stage as me now (He's 55). Clearly since I'm not bald yet, I am some kind of hybrid, but don't know what the future holds. It is just slowly and gradually thinning.

What would you guys choose given my future outlook? If I do go for any hair transplant, I will ask for a very conservative hairline, just to fill in what I have, not to extend the hairline at all. I just want to keep what I have now. No crazy expectations, just want a mature hairline.

There is a big controvery over FUE vs Strip. I don't want to mess up my future prospects if I do eventually hit Norwood 6. What to do? Pics are attached. Based on the pics, where am I on the Norwood scale?

Also, why do people praise Armani so much? I went to the website, and it seems like a huge thriving business. When they praise Armani, do they praise the clinic or specifically only the hair transplants done by Dr Armani himself? He has a lot of other doctors that will do the procedure as well.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/25766225@N03/f1q34W

G

Hi EANCY and welcome--- Well, I have some bad news, but you need to hear it before you make any decisions.

At 26 you are thin throughout the male pattern and you are showing a NW5-6 balding pattern. Your not there yet, but if a scalp analysis was done, I would bet there would be miniaturization throughout your thinning pattern.

You also have temple ressession which is fairly advanced for your age (26)

The BIGGEST hurdle is that you are not taking Propecia-- propecia will help you keep existing hair AND really help keep your donor hair from thinning (for most)

For someone with an advanced pattern it is inadvisible to have a hair transplant.

I would vehemently advise AGAINST a strip surgery, most likely at any age.

I believe your only choice would be to try and do low-density passes with FUE to try and bolster your look.

If you have problems with your liver, your at the mercy of "eventual" baldness without meds, IMO---Rogaine by itself is not an effective approach.

Did you ever find out if lower doses of Propecia still cause issues? Perhaps every other day? Do you have problems with other medications or just Propecia?

Again, I do not recommend a hair transplant for you, BUT, I am realistic and I understand that FUE can offer you some benefits at least for the short term.

For instance, perhaps 3000 fue grafts to gain density and bolster the hairline/temple regions in a conservative manner-- a look that will hold up as you continue to lose your native hair--- you have the option of buzzing your hair shorter once this happens and still pulling off a good "look" (just an estimate--consults with doctors will give you a better number)

Avoid any clinic that does not educate you to the risks of future balding and the limitations of having a hair transplant without the benefits of Propecia.

Hope this helps you out,
Jason

EANYC

Reaction score
I had elevated liver function as a result of the propecia which quickly resolved itself after I came off the medication. It also seemed to cause some kind of imbalance in my body and a ton of weight gain. The weight came right off as well after stopping propecia. I would rather go bald than go through that kind of experience again. So, definitely no more medications for me. I will try rogain though, I probably should have a long time ago. I'm actually quite shocked how willing people are to take the propecia. It's a lifelong commitment, and no one really knows the effects of these medications long term. It seems wrong to me that a young guy would be commiting to taking medication for life. Regardless of whether there are side effects, it's the long term I would be concerned about. That's just my take.

I agree, since Norwood 5 or 6 is possible given my mother's side, I want to avoid the strip method because of the scar. Later on, I think the best look for me would be a buzz cut, and so I think FUE would be better. And in the meantime, it would bolster my current hairline and hold me over for some more time and perhaps give me a better frame for when I do go for the buzz cut. Is that a reasonable assessment? Does anyone else have an opinion on my particular case?

Thanks.

EANYC

Reaction score
Actually, as a long term goal for myself, would a Kevin Spacey type of hairline be a realistic goal if I am in fact going toward NW5 or NW6? Does he have implants? I think his hair frames his face very nicely (the little that he has) and I would be quite happy with that. I think those kind of results can be achieved with multiple FUE sessions?????

Thanks Again...

Attachments

• KS1.jpg
    KS1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,345
  • KS2.jpg
    KS2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,342
G

That would absolutely be doable---but you would have to wait until your hairloss progresses much further.

Dr. ******** has posted some FUE cases where the patient wanted to re-establish a great hairline and get some low density throughout the scalp--I think 25-35 fu's cm/2??? Anyway, the idea is that he kept his hair buzzed down to a #2 guard and he looked great IMO.

I think that might be an option to consider.

Anyway, I just want to tell you that I think your doing a great job being proactive, doing research, asking questions, etc... It is really going to help you short and long term--- Best of luck to you

Jason