FUE Vs. Strip: Megasession of 3000+ grafts

disco_stu

Reaction score
I have not seen enough fully grown out FUE megasessions to be sold on the idea that a 3000+ graftFUE session will always rival that of a 3000+ STRIP session.

I wouldn't risk it.

FUE is a much more time/labor intensive surgery when compared to STRIP.

If you are considering a 3000+ graft session and you want maximum yield, then go for STRIP surgery. Donor hair is not something to gamble with, since there is only a limited supply.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well strip will be alot quicker and cheaper, but the recovery will be a bit longer and you will lose the option of shaving down. The clinic would probably prefer you to do strip as it makes it easier for them as 3000 can either be about 7hrs or with FUE about 2x 12 hr sessions.
If money is no consideration I'd be tempted to go for FUE but there will be a big difference in cost.
From what I've heard FUE yeilds are about 10% less than strip.

rudysp

Reaction score
disco_stu said:
I have not seen enough fully grown out FUE megasessions to be sold on the idea that a 3000+ graftFUE session will always rival that of a 3000+ STRIP session.

Do you happen to know or have links to where I can see some photos of fully grown out FUE megasessions? (especially ones where the "after" pictures show a wide area of transplanted graft coverage and the "before" pictures show considerable diffuse thinning) On this board, other forums, or elsewhere?

Thank you!

hairwebe

Reaction score
I just had strip surgery for 2500 plus with Virginia Surgical...So far things are going excellent..I did a lot of research as well..This is just my opinion, so feel free to use it as that...for a larger section needed I would recommend the strip as it provides a better opportunity for a large session and stronger survival rate of the harvested hair bulbs versus FUE. This is why I believe..you want the doctors and teams technicians spending time putting hair designing placement in your head not taking it out..for a small session perhaps FUE is a good choice for touch ups etc or if you have limited donor area...If you have a good donor area only my personal decision would be to go strip..I had my done at Virginia Surgical (They also offer FUE as well). We decided in my case Strip was best..at Virginia Surgical they use a special strip procedure know as tri (forget the name)..something...it makes only a thin line allowing hair to actually grow through the small scare (helping to really camouflage it).. The only down side to the strip versus FUE is some extra time for the stip healing, but I'd rather have a few days of extra healing with a larger section transplanted with more likely hood of success a.k.a more hair then short time with less hair..also, money wise may be an issue as well as the long time to take out the FUE cost much more money and again you will pay more and get less results for larger areas. Again, just my thoughts after having strip surgery. I am glad I chose this route..Best of luck.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
The clinic did strip first, then switched to only fue but now offer fue as well as strip.
Thats interesting! Did you ask the clinic why they did so? A lot of your questions may be answered that way.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Well strip will be alot quicker and cheaper, but the recovery will be a bit longer and you will lose the option of shaving down.

Couldnt be clearer then that. Nicely put in a single sentence, saf.

G

Hi all,
just logged on to this board. Let me introduce myselve with a small recap.
Experienced giga hairloss as of age 29. I mean I went from Elvis to nw5 in 3 years time.
Countered the loss with a strip surgery in 2001. Result : very nasty experience with lotsa complications and soso results.
Subsequently I had 2 mega FUE sessions. Both where a breeze and the regrowth was near to perfect.

Prohairclinic in Belgium has never performed any strip surgery as we dont believe it should be the first method of choice. Any hair transplant patient is by default a FUE patient.
It took us 3 years to evolve our version of FUE, using 0,7-0,8 mm punches (max), to what it is today.
We are most likely the most experienced FUE clinic in Europe, along with the Ilterclinic in Sweden.
During the years whe have perfected our skills, tools and routines to be able to offer FUE megasessions. In our words this means : up to 2500 in a single day (only for virgin patients) or up to about 3000-3500 over 2 consecutive days.

The reason behind striving for FUE megassesions :

1.As was the case with strip surgery, it was realized that greater numbers are necessary to make a cosmetic change. Fewer sessions = less time off and faster end results.
2. In order to bring costs down we need to transplant higher volumes. This however is achieved with no quality loss due to the usage of different teams so fatigue plays no role.
We are proud to have our pricing level compete with that of Strip surgery.

I am here to answer questions about FUE, so if you have any I will try to give to give answers based on our version of FUE.

Greetz,
Bart

G

Ok,
I just read reps are not welcome here, so be it. I will of course redraw, no problem.

Let me just state that I believe that it is NOT in the patients best interest to disallow representatives to post.
The people who are writing hear have many questions that are technical of nature. Every clinic has some own routines and these are not known by the public. This kind of information could be critical to have access to.

Some clinics have choosen to not disclose any procedure of their work. We have choosen not to and fully inform other drs. and the forum communities.

Sorry to have bothered, bye.